Sign in to follow this  
Jman6

ok I have to be doing something wrong

Jman6

Ok for those of you that read my previous post, I kept breaking hitch pins when snow blowing...

The two that keep breaking are the one on the flag and the one that holds the lifting bar to the snow thrower. This AM I was snow blowing we got hit with about 14-16 inches. Well after getting done with about 1/2 mile of snow blowing I was snow blowing up the hill and heard a clunk! I thought it was just another pin breaking, but it was louder than normal when I pin breaks. Turns out that the pin that holds the flag to the lifting arm broke!

Now I know that this can not be set up right...Am not sure if it is cause I am blowing snow while going up hill or not. Either way I have to get it fixed and am planning on buying a spare...

snowblowerlift004.jpg

This is the part I need, anyone know where I can get one? Thanks to whoever originally posted this img, hope it's ok that I took it to show. :hide:

Jman

Jim_M

There should be spacers between the flag and the lift tube. Maybe you need to take some out so you don't have constant pressure on the pin from the weight of the blower.

To be honest, I've never seen one of these pins break.

MaineDad

JMan,

WOW a 1/2 mile of snowblowing 14 to 16 inches! Holy crap!

You say you broke the lift flag pin? What hole did you have the lift flag pin in? If you have been breaking the hitch pins then perhaps you do have it setup wrong. Can you post any pictures?

Jman6

Well I thought that there was only one hole that the pin would fit in. Can't remember now, since I am at work.

Spacers between the flag and the lift bar? Mine did not come with any...Hmmm now I am really wondering...

Here is the only picture I have of it installed, I will take more when I get home and get the flag fixed and installed...

IMG00009.jpg

Thanks for the ideas and advice!

Jman

TT

OK.... since I had to go back through your posts to find out what you have, I need to remind you guys to either include your tractor/equipment in your post each time, put it in your signature, or at least in your profile so we don't have to go on a seek-and-find mission every time someone asks a new question. It would also be nice to have a general idea of your geographic location - someone else might be in your area and could possibly offer assistance in person. :hide:

There are entirely too many members here now for us to be able to remember WHO you are, WHERE you are, or WHAT you have.

Now to address the destructive tendencies your thrower lift assembly has been exhibiting.

I know you have the ability to get pictures. Can you park the tractor/thrower on a level surface and get a straight-on side shot of the entire machine with the thrower resting on the floor/ground?

Get a picture of the area under the back of the thrower where the lift tube fastens to the pin. I know the flag is broke, but hold it up to the lift bellcrank and secure it in the approximate location it would be if it were fastened with the pin that broke off.

We'll go from there.

BTW - you aren't forcing (ramming) the thrower through the snow or hitting any fixed objects that could shock the lift assembly, are you? You should be running the engine at wide open throttle and using a lower gear - sometimes low range/first gear, depending on conditions and snow consistency. I have used mine on pavement and stone (screenings), uphill, downhill, level, and on several different tractors, and have never had an issue with the lift tube, pins, or flag.

TT

P.S. > if you have a manual, it should show you which hole to hook the flag to on the bellcrank.

Here's a picture in case you aren't sure: (you HAVE to use the hole closest to the lift lever shaft - especially on the manual lift tractors.)

cb9bc073.jpg

Jman6

TT, sorry about that forgot to mention the tractor, 312-8 and 1990 or 01 can't remember which now.

Will get the pictures taken tonight. Am gonna get a machine shop to fix the flag, I would try it but I do not have a welder or any experience welding.

Also I wil try and get the info for the snow blower, I know it is a single stage but that is about it.

Is there a site that I can get a flag for one of these? I ask as I want to have a spare, up where we live the snow can stack up really fast and if something happens like this again, I do not want to have to be the taxi driver for the whole dang family. :hide:

Thanks for the replies,

Jman

evanloock

For this request and all others who wish to know if a part is still available do the following:

Go to rcpw.com or partstree.com and look up the piece of equipment this part is from (this can be accomplished using your model number if known or possibly the manufacture date (many of these parts changed little, if any, over the years).

You can then enter the part number on the site to see if it is still available from Toro and the cost of the same.

If it is still available from Toro you can order if from the site on which you looked up the part or order it from a local Toro dealer.

If the part is NLA (no longer available) you will need to post a wanted ad on this and other sites or check some of the dealers with old stock and/or boneyards.....i.e. Ray's Mower Shop in P.A.

WheelHorse_of_course

Per your next post, the problems are due to the fact you are holding the weight of the blower all the time.

Except during travel the blower should be riding on the ground (on the sleds or wheels depending on the model).

With the blower in the down position is there any play in the lift arm? If not it is probably the lift adjust as you assert in your other post. With it donw there should be at list a bit of play in the lift arm.

Good luck. :hide:

Jman6

tractor.jpg

TT I measured at the center of this part, I cricled it in black to make it less confusing. It was 13.5 or 13.75 inches.

So think it is the same as yours.

Not sure why it is not sitting flat. I will measure the life tube next and see if that is the difference. Will get the length off of toro parts site with my matching snow blower for reference.

Thanks for the help!

Jman

TT

That's where I measured mine, and is between the two that I measured.

Here's a picture of my lift tube with a tape measure hooked to the opposite end:

+/- 44.75" to the hole center and 45.5" O.A.L.

snowblowerlift009.jpg

My tractors and thrower are the same as yours, so your lift tube length should be the same.

Have you tried it with the lift assist spring unhooked? :hide: