ce318

418A what oil do I use?

ce318

I can't seem to find in my manual what oil to use in the 418a hydrostatic trans. Can I use synthetic? I believe it is uses 30 wt , but the old mind plays tricks on memory. Any help would be great. Chris 

gwest_ca

According to the lube chart 10W-30 or 10W-40 engine oil

Garry

• Like 1

squonk

Use Mobil 1 

ce318

Thank you. I will get the Mobile 1 in 10w 40 I think. I use it mainly for snow blowing the parking lot at my store

Detector

I use Havoline 10w 40 in the 5 qt jugs and a Napa filter, suppose synthetic would be better

ce318

The interesting part of all of this is I let it drain for 2 days in the shop at 72 degrees. I checked the dipstick before I drained it and it was right where is should be. When I finally got it filled back up with 4 qts of 10-30 it is 3/4 of an inch above full line with the filter on it. I ran it for about 3 minutes and then let it rest and it still is 3/4 on an inch above full.  So I emptied the old oil back into a gallon jug and it was 3/4 full. What am I doing wrong? The manual says 5 gts. So I have screwed up somewhere along the line. 

Detector

I found on a oil/filter change only about 3.5-4 quarts will come out the system, remember you have lines, the lift cylinder and the pump that will not drain out. So nothing you are doing wrong, I run into this when I first changed my fluid, I have drained it warm and cold overnight and each time got under 4 qts out. I'd cycle the lift a few times while running, let it set to cool and recheck, if it's still over full I'd drain some out

Edited by Detector

ce318

I think I will just drain off the extra and then change it again in another 40 hours or so or just replace the filter. I think if I just keep an eye on it. I only changed it was because it was just slightly milky and I mean hardly at all. I just dont know when the PO had serviced it. 

Detector

I changed mine twice because the PO used gear oil, I get the most accurate reading when it has set overnight and checked cold