ohiofarmer

312-8,raider10, charger 12 [electro] swap engines

ohiofarmer

I finally got my second long hood running well enough to justifying saving it from parting out. Now there are decisions to make.  The raider 10 is mowing my grass at home every week with a somewhat sketchy transmission. The charger 12 has I just got running has a knock sounding like the bottom end that is not too bad, but I sure would hate to see it grenade. I just saw a 312-8 Kohler advertised as having a good motor and bad transmission. I guess my strategy would be to mmake a good runner out of these two tractors and repairing what is left before the engine or transmission have a chance to grenade.

What i want to know, is the 312-8 engine a match for the charger 12 automatic, or failing that, would the raider 10 engine work on the charger as well? BTW, the 312 is priced at $225. I could see buying it for the motor and deck parts as a money saver if you guys think it would fit up easily.

pfrederi

It is swappable...Two issues you may have. Ignition system differences. Depending on the year the 312-8 may have a mag or battery system.  Raiders and Chargers could also have either one,  you just have to make sure you wire itr right and have the right ignition switch.  (Some older Charger Raiders may have the starter motor wired directly through the switch.  Probably a good idea to change over to a solenoid system.

Other thing I have run into swapping Magnum engines (if that is what is in your 312-8) to older ones is the choke hook up.  it works backwards.  I am sure if you worked at it you could fix the carb so that it works right but for me a new label on the dash is an easier solution.  Choke handle down is start up is run  If you have a better memory than I don't label it and it is an anti-theft device:P:P

• Like 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

is the 312-8 engine a match for the charger 12 automatic,

Sound like a plan! Before you pull anything off either one please post a few pictures of both engines with air cleaners removed so we can help you with the ignition, charging system, engine pulley, PTO and cables.  :twocents-02cents:  Prior to taking the engine off the 312 jack up the rear end and check to be sure the keys on the hubs and input pulley have not broken making the seller think he broke the transmission. They are nearly bullet proof, you may end up with another addition to the herd! If you need guidance on checking the transaxle we can help there too.

ohiofarmer

Actually, thinking about it, The Kohler might just fit the 416 Onan that I have. We lost the Onan and as a consequence the 416-8 is pretty much a garage queen with nice shiny original paint. The 520 has the predator conversion and no hood as I did not want to cut it [the hood] up..

I will tell you this. If I do buy the 300 series tractor for the engine, it will remain a parts tractor pretty much for the mowing deck and things like that. Maybe i need to think of my friends on this site who might need some 300 series parts...

On edit, I just found a C-120 for 275.00 located in the same area that the 312 is in for 225.00. Maybe it has a better motor and also a decent transmission for the Raider 10.  Now I understand how you guys have exploding herds of these machines. The only question i now have to answer is which 12 Horsepower engine is better-- one from the 60's-70's or one from the late eighties. 

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

which 12 Horsepower engine is better-- one from the 60's-70's or one from the late eighties.

That would depend on the maintenance history; just to be on the safe side you should buy both!     :ychain:

• Like 2

Walt
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

just to be on the safe side you should buy both!     :ychain:

LOL ya dam near made my eyes water with that one ;) 

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

I Got the c-120. A lovely machine in that the Kohler sounds so sweet. The transmission is nice and tight, but the fluid was tan and not milky. Sheet metal is perfectly straight, but "heavy" patina with tires to match. This tractor has been outside.

The only numbers visible are identifying the engine as 12 HP and the engine serial number. No numbers on the tractor at all. No stickers at all.

I liked dealing with the farmer who sold it to me. He bought it to restore, but a bum ankle kept him out of the shop. His son came in with a load of beans, and he said, " I guess we will have to use the big tractor to move the auger now"  I did get it for 250.00. Not bad for a complete tractor with a new battery.The mule drive is gone and probably was sold with the mower.

Now I really need my camera to work, because I know you are all curious as to what i bought yesterday. I know that it is newer than what I have, because the battery is up high, the gas tank is under the seat, and the dip sticks for the oil and transmission no longer screw into cast iron with this model, but just slip into tubes.The Kohler was in rubber mounts, and the seat actually tilted and had a bit of spring suspension. An improvement on what i had for sure.

In the end, there will be two working mowers and one moving tractor, but i am unsure which combination of parts will be on which mower.

The herd is up to five-- with a MTD in the woodpile. This is getting out of control.....

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Sounds like you have a 1978 or 1979 C-121.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut
19 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

This is getting out of control....

You have only scratched the surface, you haven't even gotten close to the crossover point from :wh: herder to :wh: hoarder!

And yes;      :wwp:

ohiofarmer

Welllllll ! I finally figured out how to load a file off my cell phone. this is the Electro 12 To make it run, i stole the coil pack off the Raider10 and ran a jumper to the battery. the points were on the tractor, and i used a new condenser. The conversion will not be complete until I replace the switch. that also requires an additional solenoid as the present switch wires direct to the starter post. The coil or mag that the engine had was actually part of the stator and I could not remove it, so i just cut the spark plug wire. I may have to also replace the stator, but we will see. What is weird is this engine has both breaker points and a condenser.

If the picture is not too crappy, I will take pictures of all three tractors, The tractor in this photo has an Hydro transmission and will probably get the engine from the Raider10. The C-121 will probably stay intact and get a mower transplant from the Raider. I measured the play in the transmission of the Raider10 and it is about 9 inches.

I am sure to have more questions later on, but for now, I need to finish out the mowing season before tearing anything apart

097.jpg

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

953 nut

Sounds like you are doing very well. This diagram may be helpful. I would recommend adding a 30 amp fuse to the line from the solenoid (battery side) to the ignition switch and a 15 amp fuse to the light switch wire from the "A" terminal.  

battery ignition tractor-wiring.jpg

• Like 1