Hacksawhero123

It's still a horse

Hacksawhero123

Another saved from the grave. This thing sat in the widow neighbors yard for twenty years. After mowing around it all summer I offered her $100 for it (I mowed her grass for free). A little carb work and it runs like a sewing machine. Spent all day freeing up linkages and everything works great. Picking up new tires tomorrow and it's ready to chew the dirt. It's an 80 model Troybilt Horse with a 7hp Kohler. My other neighbor asked if I was starting a red stable. Happy tractoring. 

Mark

IMG_3600.JPG

• Like 7

oldredrider

Probably the best thing Troy Bilt did was to put the 7hp Kohler on the Horse.

Dangerous combination! 

tunahead72

And by "dangerous", I think Paul means "strong, powerful, built like a tank".

I have a slightly older version of that same tiller.  I bought it used about 30 years ago, as a real novice to the world of motorized tillers, and one of the first things I tried to do with it was take it forward down a fairly steep incline.  As you can guess, the tines hit the ground and bounced right off, pulled the handlebars right out of my hands, and it tumbled head over heels down the embankment to the bottom, still running and no damage!

I don't use it much these days, but if I have fresh gas and a good spark plug, it will start without fail on the first or second pull.  Amazing machines!

Does your neighbor have an owner's manual for this machine?  If it's anything like mine, it's the most comprehensive manual you'd ever want to see, probably 200 pages or so.  It's definitely worth finding if you can.

• Like 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, Hacksawhero123 said:

It's an 80 model Troybilt

A friend has a mid '70s like yours, he replaced it with a mew one about five years ago and was so disappointed that he bought all new bearings and seals and rebuilt the old one; way better built.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Very nice save! My neighbor had one when I was young and still at home. It was a real worker compared to my dad's Monkey Wards front tine bucking bronco.

DennisThornton

When I think "Troy-Bilt" I think tiller!

Got one!  Love it!

WHX??

Neighbor had one I borrowed a couple of times till (pun intended )I bought a big box cheapy that lasted a  year. Anyway asked the neighbor about it the other day and said the worm gear went out of it and no parts to be found. Anyone know where parts can be had? If I help him out maybe he will let me borrow it some more!