briankd

replacing ign. switch in my 857

briankd

still has the original ign switch and was going to put a solenoid in with another switch. guy at work said he had some old ford starter solenoids he would give me. he brought me in today a sack of wiring from a old monkey ward tractor says I can have it that it was all working when he took it off.

with that being said it has a three prong ign. switch just like my 857 it has a ground strap on switch going to the case on side but it also has a solenoid wired in also even got a real good condition voltage regular with it all just like my 857 uses.

question is will this monkey ward ign. switch work on my 857 ? heck it was all free 

• Like 1

slammer302

That's a hard question to answer with out picks of what ur working  with. But as long as you get power to the coil when the ignition switch is turned on and power to the starter solenoid when the key is turned to the start position then it may work.

• Like 1

857 horse

About a month or so ago,,,,this model tractor (857) was in a post.....Bob Maynard chimmed in and gave the name of the switch,,,and the part number....

BoB where are you.?? Oh...the name of the switch is a Hersh.??? Nope...ColeHersh !!!!!   I think thats it.......Hopfully he will be along....correct me...

and save the day.............Hey,,,i just bus tables here..the surgeons are at lunch !!!!

I will be back later to check in on the auto correct.!!!!!        Howard857 in VA

briankd
21 minutes ago, 857 horse said:

About a month or so ago,,,,this model tractor (857) was in a post.....Bob Maynard chimmed in and gave the name of the switch,,,and the part number....

BoB where are you.?? Oh...the name of the switch is a Hersh.??? Nope...ColeHersh !!!!!   I think thats it.......Hopfully he will be along....correct me...

and save the day.............Hey,,,i just bus tables here..the surgeons are at lunch !!!!

I will be back later to check in on the auto correct.!!!!!        Howard857 in VA

yes there is a cole  herssee  switch out there but this was free .  free is better if it works:D

• Like 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, briankd said:

three prong ign. switch just like my 857 it has a ground strap on switch going to the case

If the ground is connected to one of the blades where wires connect it is not for your ignition system, presuming you have the battery ignition system. Being free is a good thing if it is the correct part. 

10 hours ago, briankd said:

old ford starter solenoids

Ford solenoid will be fine, The small terminal "S"  will connect to the switch; the small "I" terminal will not be used. The Ford unit has a built in ground, lawn equipment has a small terminal that needs to be grounded.

This drawing might be helpful.

Basic points ignition with solenoid.jpg

• Like 2

pfrederi

The ground strap makes it sound to me like the tractor it came from had a magneto ignition.

• Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard
On 10/21/2016 at 7:27 AM, pfrederi said:

The ground strap makes it sound to me like the tractor it came from had a magneto ignition.

alot of monkey wards that use a ground strap did instead have a mag n points setup. they were equipt with cast iron briggs if it was a gilson (made alot of machines for montgomery wards) that it was removed from

briankd

well did some work on it today the ign. switch from the monkey wards won't work wrong style. the solenoid though will work got it all wired just going to get a ign switch sometime this week . I have another switch I bought for my jd 110 but it  for a k 181s  mag ignition the guy will trade me for a coil style ign. switch. it will be good to go then. Thanks  Everyone for the help