Steven1986

520lxi with 1100 hours

Steven1986

Hey guys,

Im looking at trading a guy my John Deere lx279 for a Wheel Horse 520lxi. It would be a fair trade. The wheel horse has around 1200 hours on it. The guy just replaced the cam, engine seals and oil pump gears. It needs a little work as the left rear axle has a bad key way(which really doesn't scare me). Does this sound like a fair trade and is there anything I should look for or be concerned about. It comes with a 60 side discharge fabricated deck. My John deer is in better shape but it is smaller. According to what I'm seeing each tractor is worth roughly $1200. What are your thoughts?

• Like 3

Jerry77

:text-welcomeconfetti:  Enter  " 520 to 520Lxi " in the search box and you will get a good discussion on the merits of the 520Lxi..  Good luck..:)

• Like 1

T-Mo

Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges.  Your LX is a great machine, but it's a lawn tractor, though one of the best made when it was being produced.  The Wheel Horse in question is a garden tractor, so, it will have more capabilities.  Either one, if you just want to mow, will do fine, though the JD will have better ergonomics, better turning radius.  But it can't handle ground engaging implements.

bmsgaffer
9 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges.  Your LX is a great machine, but it's a lawn tractor, though one of the best made when it was being produced.  The Wheel Horse in question is a garden tractor, so, it will have more capabilities.  Either one, if you just want to mow, will do fine, though the JD will have better ergonomics, better turning radius.  But it can't handle ground engaging implements.

Are you comparing the XI or the Classics? The Xi's all have the better turning radius and better ergonomics that you speak of. They are quite a refined ground engaging machine. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

T-Mo
11 minutes ago, bmsgaffer said:

Are you comparing the XI or the Classics? The Xi's all have the better turning radius and better ergonomics that you speak of. They are quite a refined ground engaging machine. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Yes, the JD in question is one of the best and Deere excels at ergonomics, and since the LX is smaller and lighter, it will handle better especially in the tighter areas.  If I remember correctly, doesn't the 5Xi series have the one pedal design, the rocker style motion control pedals?  If so, then yes, the Deere will have the better pedal design.  I know some like the rocker style, but most prefer the two pedal design.

If I have my choice, no question I go for the Wheel Horse, but I'm just giving a fair assessment of the two machines that's based on what each machine is.  You really can't compare the two as equal machines, it would be a more fair comparison if the John Deere was a 4X5 tractor from that era.

bmsgaffer

I agree with T-Mo, it is apples to oranges comparing a LT vs GT. (The LX weighs in at 490lbs, the XI is 1023lbs and 7" longer) I just wanted to make sure the XI's were accurately represented. I like JD's too (shhh! ;)), just not as knowledgeable about them.

The XI's have a single pedal, but you operate it the same as the two pedal JD's. I find it to be nearly as nice as my dad's x500, though i think JD has the edge in the "pedal feel". 

According to tractor data (:confusion-shrug:) the LX has a turning radius of 1.7 ft the XI has 1.67ft, so very comparable despite the difference in class. 

So i think you will do good with the trade, but I do think that 1200 is a bit high of a valuation on an XI with 1100 hours, but if that 60" deck is in good shape then that is worth 30-40% of that so you will end up just fine!

• Like 2

Forest Road

I have a 522xi w loader and 1100 hours. Mine was clearly well used and had limited maintenance when I picked her up. It came w a snow blower and mower deck, both of which were well worn out. After some new axle seals and wrenching on the steering and motion control linkage she was back up to speed. They're very well built machines. 

I have ZERO experience w the Lxi. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I'm aware of the cam issue, which appears to have been repaired. I also believe the heads are prone to warping. Personally I wouldn't be interested in a machine w that motor. You may want to do some independent research on that motor. Those hours are nothing for the rest of the tractor. 

My Koehler Command runs just fine w the given hours. If it were to ever fail I wouldn't hesitate to replace it w another Command.

shallowwatersailor

Who iinitiated the trade? The 520Lxi (xi is lower case) is a very good tractor with some differences compared to the the other 5xi-series. It shares being water-cooled with the 523Dxi ( I have one) that makes it a bit more complex than the three Kohler Command engined models. There is the addition of the radiator components to add for annual maintenance.

I would suggest reading other posts on this particular model. The 60" deck is a bear to handle by itself. The power steering makes this an easy tractor to steer. I actually like the rocker pedal as you don't actually keep your foot on it. The toe part is big that you keep your foot on the floorboard. Just rock when you need reverse.  Attachments are available but are different than the Classic Wheel Horse. They do show up on CL occasionally.

If it was me and it was in decent shape (work on engine done correctly also) I would go for it. Of course, I have three and it would be hard to justify to my wife a fourth one!

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, Forest Road said:

I have a 522xi w loader and 1100 hours. Mine was clearly well used and had limited maintenance when I picked her up. It came w a snow blower and mower deck, both of which were well worn out. After some new axle seals and wrenching on the steering and motion control linkage she was back up to speed. They're very well built machines. 

I have ZERO experience w the Lxi. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I'm aware of the cam issue, which appears to have been repaired. I also believe the heads are prone to warping. Personally I wouldn't be interested in a machine w that motor. You may want to do some independent research on that motor. Those hours are nothing for the rest of the tractor. 

My Koehler Command runs just fine w the given hours. If it were to ever fail I wouldn't hesitate to replace it w another Command.

I have an Lxi and expect that she still has the plastic cam that will LET go!  My understanding is that after the cam is replaced she's good to go a LONG time.  I really like mine, but I plan on pulling her apart to replace that cam before she blows!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I have a 522xi, low hour 265. I think its the top of the wheel horse line IMHO.

big, brute, heavy duty, well built. made for the task.

Glenn

T-Mo
11 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I have an Lxi and expect that she still has the plastic cam that will LET go!  My understanding is that after the cam is replaced she's good to go a LONG time.  I really like mine, but I plan on pulling her apart to replace that cam before she blows!

The plastic cam gear will usually let go after 600 hours, but there have been some reports of owners having over 1000 hours and still have the original cam gear.  The replacement cam gear, of course, is made of steel and should last the lifetime of the engine.  After 1998, all should have the steel cam gear from the factory, or at least that is what is seen in the green machines that uses Kawasaki engines.

DennisThornton
12 hours ago, T-Mo said:

The plastic cam gear will usually let go after 600 hours, but there have been some reports of owners having over 1000 hours and still have the original cam gear.  The replacement cam gear, of course, is made of steel and should last the lifetime of the engine.  After 1998, all should have the steel cam gear from the factory, or at least that is what is seen in the green machines that uses Kawasaki engines.

I've read tons about the issue, (after I bought it!), and while I'm sure I've forgotten much I did take notes.  Seems that my 1998 serial number still has the plastic cam gear so a tear down is in the plans.  But after that I expect many more hours of great performance!

• Like 1

Steven1986

Thank you all for your input. I think I will go ahead with the trade. My main concern was that dollar for dollar value the trade was close. Im the one who initiated the trade.

shallowwatersailor

Sounds like a plan!  Don't forget - we love pictures.