Red520

520H Tranny Woes

Red520

After replacing the shifter plate and the cam on my 520H I seem to have an issue. I was told it may take a while to break-in the plate but my issue is getting worse. I have acquired a catch or hang up spot when coming back to neutral from reverse. This week it actually got stuck and kept me going in reverse after I pushed the hydro shifter to neutral. I remove the plate from the lower dash and saddle last night and worked the shifter. It is definitely catching somewhere but I don't see where. Is there a bushing behind the dash for the shifter lever? It seems to be binding somewhere when it comes back to neutral. It even catches when I press the brake pedal to go into neutral. When I press the brake to get past the catch it about throws me over the wheel.  Anyone had a similar problem?

lynnmor

Just a guess, but the part that rides in the plate slot may have a sharp edge.  It should replaced when replacing the plate.

WHX??

I had the same problem but figured it would go away with the install of Matt's pedal kit and it did...to a certain extent. I didn't replace the shift plate or cam but cleaned lubed it as well as the all the linkage under the saddle. I still have a bit of jerkiness but no more hang ups. As far as the left brake/return to neutral pedal  mine will toss you if you lay on it hard and because of the way this hydros operate I don't expect to cure it. . I just learned to have a light foot on the brake as well as the motion lever.

No bushings in the lever behind the dash,  on mine anyway, but check the plate where the neutral safety switch is located & recheck your linkgage. Make sure everything is well lubed.

bmsgaffer

:text-yeahthat:

I dont know what year yours is, but many of the dash-lever-controlled 520H's had a safety feature where you had to push down on the lever to get it to go in reverse. It sounds like you may be getting hung up on that piece when its trying to lift the lever up when you come back into forward

All of that mechanism is right behind the front tunnel cover plate and should be relatively easy to see. There are a lot of linkages from the front to the back and some may be worn to the point they need to be replaced. @rmaynard went through this issue on a 416H and may be able to provide some insight. 

Also, look into Matts foot pedal kit in the vendor section, it transforms your tractor into a whole new machine. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Here's a couple pics of the linkage from the front to the rear (column shift style), the shift lever has a spring to hold it up while neutral/forward then press to go to reverse this needs " lubed as well as the "ball and hiem joints and pivot points between the front rod and rear rod to cam plate and it's a fine line between too tight and just right on the the "friction" nut on top of the cam plate which should only be lubed with "graphite powder" if so inclined but the roller cam could be lubed lightly with a moly spray lube or similar, is used "red" spray lube, hope this helps,Jeff.

IMAG2067.jpg

IMAG2022.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat: Good tips Billy :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Red520

Ok, I found that the issue to my problem was the machining of the shifter plate. It had a very sharp point on the corner between neutral and reverse. It would go into reverse just fine but when coming out of reverse it would catch. I gently filed the corner and gave it a little lubrication and it is shifting fine now. Almost too easy but it does not drift out of gear. I also saw some threads about the downhill speed up with the hydro trannys. I just wanted to say that mine will speed up slightly but nothing like it used to. I feel that replacing the cam and shifter plate has removed a lot of slop out of the mechanism so it doesn't allow it to speed up as much. I used to grab the hydro lever when I was going to go downhill so that it did not speed up so much and I no longer have to do that. The old cam had flat spots worn on it so it would allow the plate to drift into a higher speed .