Oberg111

1971 charger 12 automatic sandstorm transaxle problems

Oberg111

I have a 1971 charger 12 automatic change transmission fluid in it and it started slipping inches forward and inches in Reverse but will not go can anyone help me to find out about rebuilding or replacing called sandstrom they want $950 to rebuild and about the same amount of money for the parts to rebuild it

woodchuckfarmer

Go into manuals , you will find every thing you need to know on a Sundstrand hydro unit     Hope this helps    Wayne

• Like 1

pfrederi

Did you check your tow valve???

Did it work before the fluid change??

Edited by pfrederi

Oberg111

Yes check tow valve and yes work just fine and perfect before change the fluid and filter

pfrederi

Ok what kind of fluid did you use...was it eh same as what was in there?  Older Sundstrand used ATF later they used 10-30 motor oil.

What filter did you use.

Oberg111

I used a Wix filter that match the number that I found online I also put an ATF back in it is that related to another Wheel Horse website I found did not call for motor oil and the fluid that I pulled out was a dark red I believe it was Dex Merc or Mercon v i put in

953 nut

:WRS:      the filter you use has to be specially designed for hydraulic transmissions, most of us use a Toro filter or NAPA 1410. Other filters have a bypass built in. Check out these manuals.

Sunstrand Hydro (part 1).pdf

Sunstrand Hydro (part 2).pdf

Sunstrand Hydro (part 3).pdf

Sunstrand Hydro (part 4).pdf

Oberg111

OK then would that alow it to work for roughly 45 minutes to an hour before it quit working

pfrederi
7 minutes ago, Oberg111 said:

OK then would that alow it to work for roughly 45 minutes to an hour before it quit working

I am not clear here ... it works OK for 45 minutes then what happens ..does it stop moving or just not be able to climb hills ...What are the symptoms.

Oberg111

Stopped  moving . Had to push to garage 

pfrederi

Did you have to release the tow valve to push it back to the garage?

Oberg111

I believe so it's been a couple weeks 

daveoman1966

I'm 99% sure you have a worn out Hydro pump on the Sundstrand Hydrogear model 90-2046.  No alternative but to rebuild the pump.  The symptoms you describe....ok for 45 minutes, then dies.... is the exact symptom associated with worn out pump.  

Clean up the ENTIRE AREA, then take the power unit from the gearbox. Once off, remove the 4 bolts holding pump to hydrogear.  You will have to refinish the brass surfaces of the piston slippers,charge pump housing,  thrust plate, and anyother scratched surface.  Here are a few pics of what need to be done.  

NOTE....there MAY ALSO BE other repair issues with this thing.  You should remover EVERY internal valve, spring, oring, etc....all parts to be KEPT ABSOLUTELY CLEAN upon reassembly.

You MAY find broken valves or springs, cut o-rings, bent little parts that will effect the performance.  

It is also a good time to replace all three seals in the pump housing.....

It is a long process, but take your time.  Above all, KEEP EVERYTHING CLEAN.  

Send me an off-site email if you want more pics of the internal parts or how to refinish them.  

my direct email is:

daveoman@windstream.net   

218 (27)a.jpg

218 (20).JPG

218 (30)a.jpg

218 (31)a.jpg

218 (38).JPG

218 (42).JPG

219 (5)a.jpg

220 063.JPG

226 011.JPG

226 024.JPG

• Like 4

953 nut

Dave has given you some good info, but before diving in that deep lets  take a look at some basics. Is the cooling fan on the input shaft of the hydro in good condition? Are the cooling fins on the pump clean so the heat can transfer to the atmosphere?

Oberg111

Thank you all very much for all your help I was going to get to the pump and take it off to rebuild and in doing that I found that the right side shear pin sitting on the tractor had been sheared off for the wheel hub again thank you guys very much for the help and I felt kind of dumb when I realized that the shear pin was bad it never even crossed my mind it's all back together now transaxle is working just fine very strong and can anyone tell me the correct fluid to put in this transaxle or should I just leave it alone filter as well thank you

• Like 1

953 nut

I feel rather embarrassed to know that I overlooked such a common failure. :oops:   Glad it was an easy fix. If it is performing well leave well enough alone on the filter and fluid.   :text-bravo:

953 nut

I feel rather embarrassed to know that I overlooked such a common failure. :oops:   Glad it was an easy fix. If it is performing well leave well enough alone on the filter and fluid.   :text-bravo:

Oberg111

No worries  I replaced the filter a month ago and I am wondering if I used the right one can anyone tell me the correct one to use so I don't do anymore damage incase I used the wrong one

Thanks 

oldredrider

Go to NAPA and get a WIX 1410. You'll be good to go.

• Like 1

Oberg111

Thanks guys these are my horses the one on the right is a b111 1979 and the one on the left is a 1971 charger 12 both work and run great I got into these because the one on the right my 1979 was my grandfather's when I got it it was a total mess 6 months ago

14770987105101448699296.jpg

• Like 1

Oberg111

Can anyone tell me what fluid to use in my wheel horse tractor that we have been discussing a year or so ago for the trans fluid for sure it calls for type A but I cannot find any type A to buy I have a leak in it and it has all leaked out

pfrederi

Dexron 3.  Now days they sell a universal Dexron/Mercon that you can use.

• Like 1

Oberg111

I use the multi vehicle and it quit working after about three or four hours of pushing heavy snow then I let it cool completely down and it started working again

Oberg111

I will try dexron 3 and see what happens