Walt

Prepping for Winter

Walt

Had nothing planed out to work on today so I headed to garage to see what I could find to occupy my day decided to do few small projects that I have been blowing off. Ran out got parts and once I replaced pig tail on my truck for pulling trailers, fixed the switch on my bench grinder that died in the spring (just by passed the switch to keep using it don't tell OSHA ;) ). Decided to see how well the chains fit that I picked up last spring since last month I mounted the NOS wheel weights I got at same time. My tires are still 22x7.5x12 since tread was good and only had to tube 1 to start using it in spring I see no reason to change them. The chains are 23x7.5x12 so figured I would shorten 1 link on both sides see how that worked. It wasn't to bad could have added bungee cords to hold them tight but figured what the heck why not see if I could shorten another link. By leaving backside 1 link and going 2 links on frontside it snugged the chain to where I can just pull it away from tire a small amount. After I got this done while looking at it I thought maybe I should look for the u-links since chain is available and maybe next summer when looking for something to do I could add more cross chains for added traction. Guess this winter will let me know if I need them when climbing the drives at mine and the kids houses.

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

• Like 9

Wishin4a416

Your right Walt. It is right around the corner. I have been getting ready too. The new weights look good.

• Like 3

Elkskin's mower junkyard

i need to get my stuff ready. i need to pull ag tires off my 1971 sears suburban 14 and put its turfs back on then put weights back on ags will probably end up on the work horse gt1642. i got to finish that work horse and finish my other work horse and get chains on dads 502. and figure out what we doing with commando 800 i need to get other plow from work

• Like 1

Walt
4 hours ago, Wishin4a416 said:

The new weights look good

Thank you, I lucked out last spring when I asked about them and the chains when I was having 3 chainsaw chains sharpened. Older guy working counter that day said he thought there were new set of each in the warehouse and sure enough when I picked them up both weight boxes and the chain bag were all still sealed. I didn't use the hardware that came with them tho I ran to Fastenal and picked up 8 carriage bolts. I figured if they would lock in rim while using lock nuts I only needed a ratchet and socket to tighten nuts. It worked out so good they only have barely a thread sticking out past nuts so no catching legs or pants when you get to close.

Edited by Walt
  • Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I need to get in gear to. It's just around the corner. I like those weights you got, your set now.

Glenn

• Like 2

T-Mo

Though we don't get a lot of snow here in my area, we do get some and there have been some that can drop up to 2 feet of snow (February 1 1982, 18 inches, December 23, 2002), etc.  So I have two tractors ready for snow duty.  My trusty John Deere GX345 (my go to one), and it's back up the '88 314-8.  The Wheel Horse will get wheel weights and either ag tires or chains soon.

2007-01-01 00.00.00-8.jpg

2016-10-01 16.16.42.jpg

• Like 1

ericjr16

Think we are almost ready. My Wheel Horse has no snow equipment as of now. Will look for blower for it. I do have a couple toys at the ready! :)

DSCN7111.jpg

DSCN7118.jpg

• Like 2