JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

C 175 , pig in a poke

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

john matthews corrected me on the under seat sticker...oh well. how could I forget where the birth certificate is. my bad.....

Glenn

jdleach

Glenn, if it were me and I intended to use the tractor for anything more than the lightest work, I would put a metal pan on it. Given the history of these things breaking, it would be a shame if you inadvertently cracked it. To easy to just put it away for "show", and install the metal version.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

The culprit, still in the garage working. retirement is grand.

Glenn

thank you JD. maybe I better post in the want ads....who has a metal pan?  lol

20161018_225238.jpg

20161018_225638.jpg

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 3

jdleach

There are piles of those seats out the Glenn. Saw stacks of them at Mentone earlier this year.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

under the hydro / brake control plate.

I am done for the night.

Glenn

20161018_234613.jpg

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:roll: That's just :wh: provenance Glenn...   :handgestures-thumbsup:

proof it not only looks good, but works hard for it's living too. 

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Good looking C175 Glenn! 

Regarding the loose regulator, is the battery getting a proper charge? If not, remove the plug from the regulator and check the voltage at the center female terminal. You should have 12vdc there with the engine running. The 12volts there comes straight off the ignition switch. Also if the engine is rubber mounted I recommend adding a grounding jumper wire from one if the regulator mounting bolts to the negative post on the battery. 

If you can't get your hands on a metal seat pan any time soon, I can bring you one to the Big Show next year. 

Enjoy!

• Like 2

TDF5G
16 hours ago, Wishin4a416 said:

That is a nice looking Horse Glenn. Remember one nice thing about this hobby is there is no deadline. You can work on it some and then walk away and collect your thoughts. Take your time and Im sure you will get the bugs worked out.

:text-yeahthat:

15 hours ago, jdleach said:

Well.... regarding the Champion/Autolite topic, I recall in the 1980s doing a stint at a Chrysler dealership. Found that the 2.2L, 318, 2.5L, all the way up to the 440 would run awful on the Autolites. Also found over the years that the Champions worked best in the 239 flatheads I have run.

That said, had some issues with the last few Champions in my '49 Ford F-2, and am currently running Autolites. It does seem to perform better. On the other hand, my Grand Cherokee ('04) likes the Champions best.

My feeling is that quality issues crop up from time to time with about all brands of plugs, and that accounts for variation over time as far as what works best in a given engine.

I almost exclusively get my belts from Toro. All the belts on the 312-8 are Toros, and the ones I have bought for the C175 came from them. Quality is top notch.

Great looking tractor Glenn. Don't get discouraged, these are great machines, even if you have to work on them to get them running properly, and well worth it.

I'm not a mechanic, but an old auto parts guy and through my experience the OEM  brand seems to be the best choice of spark plug for all manufacturers.  AC for GM cars, Champion for Chrysler, Motorcraft for Ford, etc. 

I don't think you can go wrong with a TORO belt either.  They cost a little more but they seem to last a long time.

That's a great looking tractor!  What ever it takes to get 'er a goin', is gonna be worth it IMO!  

Edited by TDF5G
spelling and grammar
  • Like 1

Ken B

That is a bummer it doesn't run as claimed but it sure does look like it will clean up real nice. I'm sure the carb needs to be completely gone thru, It wouldn't be a bad idea to clean the tank out and replace all of the fuel lines either. I'm sure once you get it running up to snuff you are going to be uj

• Like 1

MWR

Based on the pictures, I'd say it just needs the soot blown out of it.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

making headway. new belt ordered, replacing wires, power washed. still running rough, trouble tweeking the carb in.

Glenn

20161019_174838.jpg

20161019_174829.jpg

20161019_174821.jpg

20161019_174816.jpg

20161019_174851.jpg

• Like 8

Kurt-NEPA

Wow Glenn! - that is cleaning up really nice.

Kurt

• Like 3

Ken B

Have you completely taken the carb apart yet to clean and blow it out entirely? Have you checked to make sure the points are good and clean and adjusted properly? 

• Like 1

JC 1965

I can understand your frustration Glenn. I really believe that after a little more time and some trouble shooting, you will have a tractor that you can be very proud of. Hang in there your on the right track. :thumbs2:

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
8 hours ago, Ken B said:

Have you completely taken the carb apart yet to clean and blow it out entirely? Have you checked to make sure the points are good and clean and adjusted properly? 

Ken, no, I just took the Jets out, soaked them, blew carb clean into the body. Taking it off and apart next. Didn't ck the points. New gas lines going on, and another new filter.  tank coming off, clean that out, just in case. Step by step.

Glenn

8 hours ago, JC 1965 said:

I can understand your frustration Glenn. I really believe that after a little more time and some trouble shooting, you will have a tractor that you can be very proud of. Hang in there your on the right track. :thumbs2:

JC, thanks, she is cleaning up nice.

Glenn

pfrederi

I have a Series 1 KT17 in my C-175 that came from a JD 317 with well over 2000 hours.  Keeps the mosquito population at bay for the first couple of minutes but then runs ok.  May not be the strongest engine in the world any more but has no problem running the sweepster...  I have to move her out side right after start up she actually gives you 15 seconds or so before she smokes hard...

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

Glenn, I had a series 2 kt17 that ran a little rough no matter what I did to it until I installed a new set of Kohler spark plug wires for that engine. It purred like a kitten after that. You may want to bite the bullet and give that engine some new spark plug wires to get the proper voltage to your new spark plugs. 

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

How can I check the ignition switch? been playing with this tractor for days now. every time I hit the ignitiin she fires up. now all of a sudden I hit the key,, nothing  ,, battery full charge, wiring fixed. But nothing when turning the key, any ideas?  no, I dont have a meter here to check anything, cant get that back till tomorrow.

I did have the battery tested today, it tested good all the way around.

I did try a battery cable from the battery ground to the engine block, still get nothing. 

Glenn

Sparky

Hmmm...that almost sounds like a safety switch issue. Is the PTO lever pulled back?

Mike....

• Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
19 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Hmmm...that almost sounds like a safety switch issue. Is the PTO lever pulled back?

Mike....

Hey Mike, yes it is, all switches accounted for. Its crazy how "all of a sudden", I am in the garage trouble shooting.

Glenn

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Mike, you hit the nail on the head. while hitting the key I decided to push down on the brake, it was already locked in the down position, it moved down just about a sixteenth of an inch, varooooom,,,,the ol pig starts up. I guess I have to check that now, opened the garage doors and windows and tweeked with all the carb screws, shes purring like a cat now. But that switch or whatever in the brake needs tweeking now. Your words Mike had me hit that pedal....thanks.  one more step done.

Hey guys, ammeter seems crapped, check flea bay I guess?

oh well, wheel horse fun.........:wh:

Glenn

• Like 4

Sparky
46 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Mike, you hit the nail on the head. 

oh well, wheel horse fun.........:wh:

Glenn

Excellent!

Every now and then even the blind squirrel finds a nut (I'm the blind squirrel here... 😲 )

Mike.....

• Like 1

Achto
47 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Hey guys, ammeter seems crapped, check flea bay I guess?

If your not stuck on finding an OEM meter you should be able to get one at an automotive store or implement dealer. Just make sure the amperage capability is the same or greater.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Glenn you've got to get yourself a decent digital voltmeter. :naughty: 

• Like 1

WHX??

Glenn...you'very got yourself  a cab...much less frustrating :lol:

• Like 1