hbrooks49

Air filter pre-cleaner K241 n- need advice

hbrooks49

I bought a new air filter (235116) and pre-cleaner (237421) for my C-105.

The instruction sheet for the pre-cleaner and the Kohler manual both state that the pre-cleaner should be oiled.

The Wheelhorse Service manual states (in bold capital letters) DO NOT OIL THE PRE-CLEANER.

Which advice is correct?

Thanks

SylvanLakeWH

lightly oil mine. :twocents-02cents:

Hope you like your C-105 as much as I like mine!

Love the Black Hoods!

:ph34r:

• Like 1

hbrooks49

Thanks for the quick response. Love my C-105. I bought it 5 years ago with a 42 inch rear discharge deck and snow blower. So far I had to get a used PTO for it (the pin had sheared and I used it all one winter by manipulating the PTO lever - didn't do it any good. The left front wheel bearing went and chewed up the spindle and hub pretty good but a Tractor Supply bearing cobbled into place has lasted over a year. I  did get a used wheel and spindle for when it really goes. That's about it - it came with weights and chains. It's always had inside storage so the deck is good and I'm not sure that the snowblower was ever used.

I really like it every spring when I watch all of the big box specials loaded onto trailers and taken away for their spring tuneup and repair. Wheel Horses rock.

Would love to hear what others do with the pre-filter. I'm kind of neutral but I believe that is the only phrase in the whole manual that is in capitalized bold type...... odd.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Just rebuilt mine. Smoked like a chimney so it was time...Runs like a top now and man does it go! I have a side discharge deck, front blade, and a 2" hitch for it...I agree -  WH Rocks!

:ph34r::wh::banana-blonde:

Achto

I always spray a light coat of K&N filter oil on my pre-cleaner.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I DID NOT OIL my pre-filters.

• Like 1

hbrooks49

Mixed bag of responses - I will probably go by the WH manual in this instance and keep an eye on it. I live in the suburbs so we don't have a lot of field dust around. If we did I would probably lightly oil it. Time will tell.

Thanks for the responses -  next step before winter is to install the cable for the snowblower chute - I found the thread with the diagram which is great ........ this site is an incredible resource.

cleat

The manuals for my 520's all say to oil the pre-filters to help trap dust.

I also pre-oiled the pre-filter on the Kohler engine in my Ford LGT-165.

tbarnhart

I've always oiled the pre-cleaner foam wraps on paper filters as well. They seem so thin I don't think they really do any good keeping the real filter clean unless they are oiled. You don't want to have enough oil to soak the paper element, but I often wash and re-oil mine whenever I change the engine oil. So far, the paper filter still looks brand new and very little dust comes out when I blow it out. Just wash, dry well and soak in motor oil. Squeeze out as much oil as you possibly can and stretch it over the filter.