pacer

Power steering for the D's??

pacer

Power steering for the big D's have been kicked around quite a bit but I haven seen any thing about trying one of the - many - variations of electric types.

A bit of background - I have a 4x4 Mitsubishi with loader and whoa! the steering on it with a load is really tough! so I was prowling around on the web and was seeing the many uses guys are coming up using these things (dune buggies, kit cars, older cars, etc) Seems the favorite is a unit off the 02-07 Saturn Vues. Looking at My D's steering I'm beginning to wonder/think that I might be able to stuff one of these under the dash??

Anybody looked at these things??

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by pacer
  • Like 1

maxiblue

Hello yes that is the way to go, works like a dream and easy to set up.

Edited by maxiblue
  • Like 1

pacer

Maxi,

You used one? what on? a WH or something else? Details man, details!! and pics if you got em!!

• Like 1

82Caddy

I'm not sure where you'd put that...

Are you thinking down low where the box is now with some joints and another column or up high by the dash?

Its tight to begin with where the steering column, hydro pump and lines all are. 

I have a 5 port JD column on my d series. Works great. Had to bend a few pieces of metal to mount it. Wasn't bad and works great. 

bmsgaffer

I am interested to see where this goes! I have not considered any electric power steering before, but duh! I like it.

What kind of unit attaches to the steering wheel, what goes on the lower unit? I can research but if you have links to other people who have done this as you mention, that would be cool!

How much power does it draw? Can the tractor electrical system reliably keep it powered all day in tight maneuvering situations?

Maybe as I am looking at it, is it just a pass through with electric assist?

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I was doing a bit more research and many of the power steering schematics I see have an 60A(!!!) fuse going to them... On an average day that might not be a problem as you will have short spikes of current draw while turning and then very little draw when not turning so the system can recharge the battery. However, on a heavy working day (or maneuvering around a lot) you could easily run the system enough to kill the battery before the 15A charging system can replace the charge. 

Maybe there could be a current limiting control for this smaller application or something that shuts off EPAS when the battery drains to a point (it appears the steering will act normally when EPAS shuts off) or if you have room to spare a small alternator would solve the problem...

• Like 1

pacer

Gaff,

Those are very pertinent questions, and one of the reasons I have posed the question about the use of them.

The unit goes between the steering wheel and the steer box with long shaft going to steering wheel. The unit does have a pretty good amp draw. I would think a larger battery may needed. While I see a slight possibility of stuffing it in on the D's, I cant imagine it adapting to any of the other horses - 

With maxi showing a loader on what looks to be a D in his avatar, Im hoping he has adapted one to it --- talk to us maxi!

I went to google and put electric power steering in search and that brings up lots of hits, one guy adapting one to an odd looking mower, with a lot of hits on kit cars, old Mustangs, etc.

Oh, and there are a lot of "kits" out there and they are real cheap!:o The obvious way for us would be to get the unit and the wiring kit enabling it to be done with $200 or so.

Gaff, I see you responded while I was typing this out....

• Like 2

maxiblue

you get the unit from a junk yard cheap, then go on ebay a guy sells a harness ($65) for that box that will let you hook it up and adjust the steering speed. It does not need 60 amps. electric power steering is the way to go, no hydraulic lines no oil no load on the engine.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

:wwp:

bmsgaffer
8 hours ago, maxiblue said:

you get the unit from a junk yard cheap, then go on ebay a guy sells a harness ($65) for that box that will let you hook it up and adjust the steering speed. It does not need 60 amps. electric power steering is the way to go, no hydraulic lines no oil no load on the engine.

Well, its fused at 60A which means that it CAN when you turn real fast. 

Do you have it on a D250? I believe those have an alternator anyway, right? I would love pics of your setup!

pacer

Well, I've got one of the Saturn Vue units coming - Had one bidding on the bay and I got it pretty reasonably (didnt want to get a bunch of money tied up in something that might not work!!) Will try it on either my 180 or 200 - probably the 180, its down now anyway. Will hold off on the controller box until I'm sure - or not - that I can get the epr unit mounted.

If am able to get it stuffed in there some where between the Ross box and the steering wheel I promise I will make a supreme effort to document it, I know the rule----:wwp: But be patient.....

• Like 1

Cadmandu

Hi I love all of this and have printed most I will get back to you all at lunch thanks

pfrederi

Kohler had a 30 amp charging system.  Fuses are usually sized considerably above the normal current draw to avoid frequent blow outs. D's have room for decent size battery

• Like 2

maxiblue

the unit will only draw a max of 40 amps but you will need a switching relay to switch the unit on so there will be no spikes or surge in the power. Just like electric auto fans, fuel pumps and water pumps on race cars, been there done that.

Edited by maxiblue

pacer

Update on the  "D" power steer----

The EPS (electric powersteer system?) came in finally (slow ship)

I believe it would fit ..... but - (theres that 'but')... the spool valve is in the way. If it wasnt hard line plumbed and could be easily moved over about an inch then likely would work. I dont want to go that far modifying my D!

Notice the rounded part under the shaft, the spool valve is in the way of that part - you can pretty well see the relation of the valve and the steering shaft hole where it would have to go and its just too close. The EPS would have to go where the battery sits, but that likely wouldnt be too big a problem.

Next I'll have to get the Mitsubishi in the shop and see if it WONT work on it either!:angry-nono:

IMG_3425.JPG

IMG_3426.JPG

• Like 2