pfrederi

Charger/ Raider/Electro Deck Drives

pfrederi

It seems WH made several changes to the Charger Raider group over it production life.  3 different ignition systems, direct wire starters, solenoid starters etc.  What has me puzzled at the moment is at least 2 drive systems for mower decks. 

I have a Charger 10 that uses a drive that goes straight down from the PTO and has sort of an arched plate. (Last picture) I assume the arch plate and drive pulleys came with the deck.  The tractor OM doesn't show an attachment drive

I was given a Charger 12 that has a sort of mule drive that mounts out front.  (First 3 pictures)  Did this thing come with the deck or did it have its own part number.  Again the OM for the tractor isn't helpful. I

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

CasualObserver

It would have come with mower decks after about 1969 like the 5-0600 or 5-0710 kind.

here... this should have it.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

The two types of belt drive systems you have in pics are both kinda cumbersome and ..IMHO... hazardous, in the least.  Here is a better MULE drive system that can  very easily be adapted to your Raider 10....You need to drill just 3 holes in the front of the tractor frame...just under the hood mount.  

I can provide all the parts for this, as well as instructions on what to do.   

If interested, send me an off-site email...my direct email is:

daveoman@windstream.net

M DRV (3).JPG

ADAPT (8).JPG

MULE-45.jpg

MULE-22.jpg

MULE-10A.jpg

ADAPT (14).JPG

• Like 2

squonk

I found one of those bolt on front Tach o Matic  hitches at the show  and bolted it on my 1267. A bit different from Dave's as it bolts on the side of the frame. Works great and I can run a modern deck on an old tractor :)

upgrades 005.JPG

• Like 2

daveoman1966

The 'adapter' you found at the show is factory made and designed to bolt onto the side of the frame...they work great. However, they are scarce and I found an easy way to get the same result...that being to get the Front Tach-o-Matic hitch onto the front of the tractor.  One could also weld two plates to the side of a front Tach-o-Matic hitch, then drill the plates to match holes already in the side of the tractor frame,  but I don't do a very good weld job (except to make boat anchors).  So, it was much easier for me to drill the 3 holes in the front of the frame and mount the front tach-o-matich hitch that way.  

Here is a new adapter hitch..... 

Either way......

ADAPT (12).jpg

Edited by daveoman1966

pfrederi

The Charger came with a 36" deck not mounted.  The deck is like a modern (well C series and later) one.  The drive set up looks like a bigger messier version of the more familiar modern mule dive.  I should think you could use a newer deck with the strange front mule setup. Think this winter I will clean up the drive and see if it will work OK with a newer deck.  I have two pair of the bolt on front tachmatic adapters mentioned above so this is just an experiment to see if I can make it work.

Thank you all for the input

Klinger

Thank you....this topic was very helpful to me.  My '72 Raider 10 has the mule drive in the first pic since the WH from the store.  Been looking for the later mule drive .....every time I make a hard left turn the tire rubs the pulley.

IMG_1489.JPG

pfrederi

The tie rod on your tractor looks new.  Is it adjustable?  May not be set correctly.  How much toe in do you have?

pfrederi
On 10/18/2016 at 6:51 PM, Klinger said:

Thank you....this topic was very helpful to me.  My '72 Raider 10 has the mule drive in the first pic since the WH from the store.  Been looking for the later mule drive .....every time I make a hard left turn the tire rubs the pulley.

IMG_1489.JPG

Sorry a bit slow here looking at your picture the tire appears to be  a 16  6.50 x8  Your horse originally came with narrower 16 5.50 x8  may explain your rubbing issue

mmmmmdonuts

I got a Raider 12 and I did what Daveoman recommended with changing to a standard mule drive. I was even able to adapt the mower deck to use quite easily by changing some of the brackets and getting a new belt to make it work. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two and if I get a chance I can take some pictures later tonight / tomorrow how it was adapted if there are issues.

Best part is it allowed me to use all the other tach-a-matic attachments like a my snowblower.

Anglo Traction
On 18/10/2016 at 11:51 PM, Klinger said:

I suspect the reason why your tire rubs the Flat Idler on left lock is that I see your Tension Spring on the Mower Drive Belt is too slack.

That tells me you probably have the wrong Belt size. 9360 should be the part number,  'A' section , length 95.63" . Look's like you have at least 97" belt on it.

The other thing you can do is put a pair of later (76>) 8 x 6.50 Rims that have greater offset, giving 2inches of wider track.

Regards 

pfrederi

I have cleaned up my old style mule drive but  I am missing the small metal tab that fits over the rear mounting bolt and has a hole for the spring to hook to.  Would anyone have a measurement of one???

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

• Like 1

Anglo Traction
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I have cleaned up my old style mule drive but  I am missing the small metal tab that fits over the rear mounting bolt and has a hole for the spring to hook to.  Would anyone have a measurement of one???

Nice job on the refurb. I have managed to locate a Mule Drive like yours and it's on the way to me here in UK.

It is for my 72 Raider 12 and will hopefully  take a '79' 05-36MR01 which I'm refurbishing at the moment.

Maybe Klinger can offer the exact Dims of the Spring Tab?. as I will also need to make one.  

• Like 1

pfrederi
Just now, Anglo Traction said:

Nice job on the refurb. I have managed to locate a Mule Drive like yours and it's on the way to me here in UK.

It is for my 72 Raider 12 and will hopefully  take a '79' 05-36MR01 which I'm refurbishing at the moment.

Maybe Klinger can offer the exact Dims of the Spring Tab?. as I will also need to make one.  

One potential issue is are the bearings they are Nice 7842.  i had no luck finding new ones. They are metric OD 35mm but the ID is inch (3/8th).  i was lucky turned out their only issue was dried out 40 year old grease.  Soaked them in Kroil then brake clean.  The are shielded but there is a plastic portion I was able to work a grease needle into to repack them. 

Anglo Traction

Thanks for the warning. I think I've got it covered and have a source of replacements. Just need the Unit in my grubby hands to be sure.

.My worst case scenario will be to turn up and press in an insert to reduce the bore from 1/2" down to 3/8".

I've just finished refurbing my other Tach-o-Matic which was no sweat with bearings-

DSC01602.JPG

DSC01603.JPG

Regards

• Like 1

Klinger

Sorry guys .....been working 12 hrs everyday this week.  If you still need the measurements just let me know.  Will be crashing tonight and will be able to get tomorrow.

pfrederi
15 hours ago, Klinger said:

Sorry guys .....been working 12 hrs everyday this week.  If you still need the measurements just let me know.  Will be crashing tonight and will be able to get tomorrow.

Ho rush but I would appreciate it if you could measure it at some point.  thank you

Sarge

McMaster carries reducer sleeves in about any size you could ask for....just fyi .

Sarge

Klinger
On 11/3/2016 at 0:59 PM, Anglo Traction said:

If you have any questions please let me know.

IMG_1561.JPG

• Like 2

Klinger
On 11/2/2016 at 11:45 AM, pfrederi said:

Sorry a bit slow here looking at your picture the tire appears to be  a 16  6.50 x8  Your horse originally came with narrower 16 5.50 x8  may explain your rubbing issue

Even the original tires (which had the wheel horse symbol molded into the tires) still rubbed when making a left had turn.  That was also with the original tie rod/control arm.