gt4

1964 lawn ranger jumps

gt4

just wondering if anyone else has had a lawn ranger that when you put in in gear it really jumps or jerks ahead instead of a nice smooth takeoff. Could that be something to do with the belt. Thanks for your help.

953 nut
3 minutes ago, gt4 said:

something to do with the belt.

Is it a Kevlar belt?  If not. try one. Also could be adjusted too near the top, grabs at the last second.

• Like 1

Terry M
12 hours ago, gt4 said:

when you put in in gear it really jumps or jerks

I would guess also that it's something to do with the belt.    Sounds like the belt has a good grip when you are shifting it into gear.  Maybe the belt is too small , or the linkage too loose.   I'm just assuming that the clutch is pushed in when you are putting it in gear.   :think:     It can't be too complicated because these things sure are simple.

Let us know what you figure out:).

Edited by Terry M
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

Wheel Horse drive belts need to be fabric covered. Some belts have raw rubber sides and are too aggressive for the clutch to work smoothly.

Garry

• Like 4

pfrederi

I have found OEM WH belts work better on manual trannies.  I use aftermarket belts for hydros mower decks etc but not manuals.

• Like 3

Terry M
20 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I have found OEM WH belts work better on manual trannies.

And that's all I buy through Toro.   a little expensive, but they work perfect on my 60' s lawn rangers.

• Like 4

TDF5G

I've bought a few genuine Toro belts the past couple of years and have had no problems what so ever.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Before you go buy a belt, try to clean your 3 pulleys with mineral spirits.  Take off the belt guard and the belt.  Clean off with spirits, maybe steel wool if any rust and clean again.  You might also wipe your belt off with the spirits.  One other thing, if you are starting out at a high idle, that jump would be normal.  :)

• Like 2

gt4

Thanks for helping me out with all the tips,i don't know what I would do without this site. I will post back and let you know how I make out

• Like 2

Terry M
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Before you go buy a belt, try to clean your 3 pulleys with mineral spirits.  Take off the belt guard and the belt.  Clean off with spirits, maybe steel wool if any rust and clean again.  You might also wipe your belt off with the spirits.  One other thing, if you are starting out at a high idle, that jump would be normal.  :)

good idea Steve....I've had some fairly worn belts that have performed just fine..

• Like 2

gt4

Well I tried stevasaurus  mineral spirit cleaning on the pulley's and it doesn't seem to jerk or grab like it was. Thanks for the help guy's:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3