Klinger

My '72 Raider 10

Klinger

Hello....I will apologize now for any questions that I may ask in the future due to being a newbie not only to this forum but also to the world of Wheel Horse.  These pictures are of my '72 Raider 10 that was bought new by my late Grandfather.  I remember the day he taught me how to drive it and mowing the lawn.  It has passed to a couple of members since his death and finally arrived back home with me where it belongs.  Now I have had "The Tractor" (she was never given a proper name yet) for a short while and I will admit that I have used it hard these pass 2 summers until somethings literally started to fall off out of the blue.  So this past Friday I decided to treat her more like she should be treated.  She has been restored once by my Great Uncle at least 10 years ago......but now it my responsibility to help this old girl back to stardom.  Any help on directing me to the right direction would be helpful.  Some of my questions are;  1) What year decks interchange with mine? (the present on has blades of 2x12" and one 14")(Just finished sandblasting the deck and painted it black this July)  2) What years lights interchange if any? (never had any would like to add if possible)  3) Are the lug nuts still available?  (One wheel fell off just put back on with SS bolts)   4) Are there any pulley drives that  interchange with this model that are under the PTO instead of out in front of the wheels? 5) and anything else that anyone sees that I do not. Any help again would be appreciative.....I have quickly looked at some pics on this site and see a lot of pieces of art. 

IMG_1469.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

IMG_1477.JPG

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1487.JPG

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:    Always glad to see a :wh: passed down from generation to generation.   :text-coolphotos:       Must say I have never seen a mule drive like yours, Do a search on this site and you will see what they look like, post a want add on here for one and the bracket that holds it.

An add for the head lights should also pan out well.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Klinger.   Always room for another Pee Aer.

:text-coolphotos:  Thanks for posting them.      

I have had several Raiders over the years, and that is the first I have seen that style drive system.  I always thought WH went from the side drive directly to the front mule drive system that is in use today.   Actually yours looks to be the better design of the other two styles, with the few moving parts and the spring loaded belt tensioner.

Oops, I see Dick types faster than me.

Any deck up to 48" that has the center drive pulley should work on your raider.   The newer decks use an additional deck lift arm that your tractor does not have. But the addition of a hole to attach your lift link should be the only mod required.  

The older side gear drive decks will not work.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

There is an older side drive belt idler system.  I would not even consider switching to this system as there are many moving parts and the main cast iron swing arm is subject to failure.    Again, I believe the system you have is a good design.

If you would want to install a snow blower, then you may have to convert to the newer tach-a-matic front mule drive.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

A guess on the mower deck

Garry

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Welcome!! A good story and good ending. Good Luck with your project. Lots of knowledge here.

AMC RULES

:WRS:

Jerry77

Real nice looking Raider. :)  What do you plan on doing to the crack in your hoodstand?   Leaving it like that will probably cause trouble with the rest of the stand..   :twocents-02cents:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

:ph34r:

Klinger
54 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

Real nice looking Raider. :)  What do you plan on doing to the crack in your hoodstand?   Leaving it like that will probably cause trouble with the rest of the stand..   :twocents-02cents:

I am hoping that I can get it welded if possible if not then I will have to look for a new one.

Jerry77
1 hour ago, Klinger said:

I am hoping that I can get it welded

Don't just let them weld the crack - won't hold - weld a plate over it or get a new one...gonna be tough to make it hold seeing where it is cracked...good luck..

ol550
14 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:    Always glad to see a :wh: passed down from generation to generation.   :text-coolphotos:       Must say I have never seen a mule drive like yours, Do a search on this site and you will see what they look like, post a want add on here for one and the bracket that holds it.

An add for the head lights should also pan out well.

Without a lot of looking the mule drive and deck look to be from a 800 3speed.  8 horse Briggs and Peerless transmission.

Anglo Traction

A very good family owned example in pretty sound condition. I'm also impressed that the Deck and it's original Drive System is still all in tact.

Do everything you can to keep it mechanically the same. I wish I could find the Front Mule System and Deck Carrier frame like yours here in UK.

I have a 72 Raider 12 but originally had a different Deck and Mid Hitch Pulley System (sadly long gone) before I acquired/refurbished it.

Here is a Screen Capture picture from an old Super 8 film of the day it was delivered new (21st June 1972)-

New Raider 12.GIF

As for the crack in the Hoodstand, well maybe I did wrong, as on my '74' C-120, I had to cut both rotten Wings off and weld new pieces on.

Not had hard duty, but still ok so far:handgestures-fingerscrossed:. Here's a link to what I had to do, as it would be easier for me to find 'Hen's Teeth' over here than find a Hoodstand-  -Link-

As for Lights to fit yours, depending on your Engine's Stator Plate output, you can add lights from most of the Raider type Models and C series from '72' through to '80'. Assuming it has not been removed, there should be a label on the Blower Housing Starter Bendix Blister stating the Alternator Output, usually 15amp output. If so, then you only need to follow the wiring diagram for the 72 Raider 12 (1-0311). However, I see your Ignition Switch position has been altered, so it may not be the original Switch?.

Enjoy the project whatever you decide on doing.       

Edited by Anglo Traction

stevasaurus

I'm not sure what those guys above are seeing about the mule drive??  I also have a 1972 Raider 10 Model 1-0301 and the PTO looks the same as your.  One thing different about the 1972 Raider 10...it has the Wheel Horse #5086 transmission.  It is an 8 speed with a 4 pinion differential and 1" axles.  Only Raider 10 with 1" axles.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

2008_071910raider19720008.JPG

2008_071910raider19720007.JPG

2008_071910raider19720010.JPG

2008_072110raider19720001.JPG

ol550

Now Steve just put your cup down for a second and look at it. The belt goes ahead of the front axle

and the front of the mule has 2 holes to attach a shield.

stevasaurus

Thanks Mike...I did not catch the front bracket on that.  I was asking what you guys saw that was different.  Wonder why they did that??  :handgestures-thumbupright: