AMC RULES

Having some twin troubles.

AMC RULES

As the past winter season ended, I found the twin in my plow tractor was starting to run like crap. :hide:

So, with the new season approaching...I'm thinking it time to start going through the fuel system now.    

Thinking I've found its problem today...having pulled, and drained the tank. 

Can't imagine any of this stuff is supposed to be in there...

so, I'm pretty sure it's time to start going through the carb now.   :angry-tappingfoot:

IMG_5915.JPGIMG_5916.JPGIMG_5921.JPGIMG_5920.JPG

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 4

jdleach

Very nice looking C175 there Craig. I see it is a 1982 model.

Look to have some water and bits of varnish in your fuel. A carb. cleaning at the very least is in order here. Varnish is a problem, but the water is more of a concern. I hope you don't have corrosion starting in your float bowl and carburetor passages.

By the way, I see you have tossed that old seat away on the ground. If you wish, I will dispose of it properly for you. :D

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
10 minutes ago, jdleach said:

Very nice looking C175 there Craig. I see it is a 1982 model.

By the way, I see you have tossed that old seat away on the ground. If you wish, I will dispose of it properly for you. :D

Hey JD - Do not need to post a wanted add - There's that seat you need just laying around...

BTW - Love the Black Hoods!

:ph34r:

• Like 2

ACman

Where's the don't Like button :text-imsorry: ... that looks pretty nasty ! Am I seeing water along with all that varnish :omg:. I better make sure I check all my tractors and treat the fuel and/or drain the tanks . This new gas SUCKS :soapbox: !!!

• Like 3

AMC RULES

01-17KE03 1983 C Series Garden Tractor C-175 Twin Automatic Kohler KT17-24223 17 Eaton 1100-032

dclarke

I bet it'll run better when you get 'er cleaned up, Craig. Looks like a lot of water. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:Was running 1/2 choked...

but, hard to believe it could run at all. 

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Craig , I had a similar problem with my 87 310-8 . The inside of the tank was starting to flake off in little bits ,letting water inside the tank and had the varnish problem. Never figured out why ,but had to replace the tank. Not Cheap.

• Like 1

jdleach
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

01-17KE03 1983 C Series Garden Tractor C-175 Twin Automatic Kohler KT17-24223 17 Eaton 1100-032

Hmm... Since my 1980 is a 01-17KE01, I assumed a KE03 was an '82. Going sequentially of course.

Went and looked at the model chart. I see that KE01 was used for both 1980 and 81.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
3 minutes ago, jdleach said:

Hmm... Since my 1980 is a 01-17KE01, I assumed a KE03 was an '82. Going sequentially of course.

I'm seeing three seperate 1980 C-175's listed there on our model list.  :confusion-shrug:

01-17K801 1980 C Series Garden Tractor C-175 Twin 8-Speed Kohler KT17-24125A 17 Wheel Horse 103916
01-17KE01 1980 C Series Garden Tractor C-175 Twin Automatic Kohler KT17-24125A 17 Eaton 1100-032
01-17KS02 1980 C Series Garden Tractor C-175 Twin Automatic Kohler KT17-24125A 17 Sundstrand 90-1173

• Like 1

jdleach

Yeah, the Sundstrand added an extra model to the line-up. Eatons came along somewhere in the middle of the the 1980 model, though not sure at what point. My C175 has the Eaton.

What is interesting to me, is why WH kept the Eaton equipped C175 model designation for two years running.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:scratchead: Could just be an error on the model list...

wouldn't be the first one discovered there. 

• Like 1

gwest_ca
47 minutes ago, jdleach said:

Yeah, the Sundstrand added an extra model to the line-up. Eatons came along somewhere in the middle of the the 1980 model, though not sure at what point. My C175 has the Eaton.

What is interesting to me, is why WH kept the Eaton equipped C175 model designation for two years running.

The earliest build date for an Eaton model in 1980 recorded so far is June 5.

At the end of the 1980 model year in September they may have had too much inventory to build any more of them at that time.

Garry

• Like 1

jdleach

Interesting...

If the earliest Eaton equipped machine is in the first week of June, and the model year ended in September, then it stands to reason that most 1980 models had the Sundstrand hydro.

How does one determine the build date for these tractors Garry? Would be nice to know exactly when this one of mine rolled out of South Bend.

19richie66

my 1980 had the sunstrand. Its in the rat now and the 175 will mate with a 418-a and will get an eaton soon. Just got to go get it. Tractor looks great Craig. I had issues with water and turns out my fuel cap was cracked and it got in when it rained. Nothing but ethanol free wawa fuel now. 

• Like 1

gwest_ca
12 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

The earliest build date for an Eaton model in 1980 recorded so far is June 5.

At the end of the 1980 model year in September they may have had too much inventory to build any more of them at that time.

Garry

On the decal posted earlier in this thread the model number and serial number is in the first white box.

The blank box below it would have had the 4-digit Julian build date stamped on it. These are the first numbers to disappear with age.

Have learned that the build date is the date that particular batch of product was scheduled to be built along with their serial numbers. It is not the actual day it was built.

Many of the build dates have the wrong year. Must have been confusing for them as a model year started in the previous year so the new product could be released in October. Say in September of 1978 they were building 1979 models and used a 9 where they should have used an 8. First digit is the year and the 3 digits following are the day of the year.

Garry

• Like 1

jdleach

Thank you very much Garry. With the information you have provided, I now know (approximately) when my tractor was built.

The serial number for the Kohler twin makes it a late 1979 engine, but the build code beneath the serial number of the tractor is 0343, which would indicate the machine was scheduled to be built in December of 1980. That of course, would make it a 1981 model.

Since the engine would have been a year old when the tractor was constructed, my take is that they botched the date code, and the machine was built sometime in December of of '79. On the other hand, it has an Eaton. Hmm....

DSCN3925.jpg

At least I don't have to worry about my numbers wearing off of the tag. Take a real loooonnngggg time to wear away that stamped aluminum.

Edited by jdleach

gwest_ca

Here are the 1980 serial numbers so far

I think yours is a 1981 model

Garry

• Like 1

jdleach

I have to concede here to you Garry, it certainly appears my C175 is a 1981. I figured a 1980 given the build of the engine, but the much higher serial number on my tractor than those listed for 1980, along with the build code makes the case for '81.

I'll be happy with it being an '81. That is the year I was discharged from the Navy.

Thank you very much!

By the way. Don't know if you, or anyone else is collecting the information, but the serial number is 21287, build 0343. Photo isn't very good, but the data may assist another in dating their machine.

Edited by jdleach