RickF

exhaust stack

RickF

Hello,  

With my birthday coming up, I was asked what I want for my present, and I said I'd like a new exhaust stack for my tractor. I have a GT14, with a 14 Hp Kohler, And when I look up mufflers in a Stanley muffler catalog, I think An IH-1 International Harvester farmall cub muffler looks like it might fit the bill.It's available at Tractor Supply Co. and it has a 1 3/8" inlet. Is inlet size my only necessary consideration? Has anyone used any other brand of muffler stack?

Edited by RickF
  • Like 1

Achto

I have seen a few :wh: with a IH Cub muffler, they seem to be a good fit. I like the look.

857 horse

I dont know how to grab a pic,,,and post it.........But !!!!!!!!!!!!!     There is a member here......Bud Andrews.............makes a very nice small stack....

maybe someone can chime in and submit a 5x7 glossy......Good luck with the hunt...   That has always been the fun part to me,,,,the hunt....

Of course,,,,,,,unless you Russtlin horses........lololo      Just dont say that last part to loud..

• Like 1

mmmmmdonuts

I don't know if he is still doing muffler's or not but I got mine from JimKemp right here on Red Square. Here is a picture of the muffler. I sprayed it black in the one section. I love the sound of it. I believe he offers a large and small one. I got the small one. rps20160724_135331.jpg

• Like 3

RickF

Looks Great!

jellyghost

How much do the JimKemp muffler muffle?  I almost need to wear ear protection when mowing with my current muffler.

T-Mo

Here was my C-141 Automatic that I had to rebuild the engine on it since the rod gave it up one wintery day pushing snow around.  I used the IH stack.

100_0592.JPG

• Like 1

rjg854

here's what my muffler looks like that I got from Jim, and I love the sound it makes, no need for hearing protectionP1050651.JPG

• Like 2

mmmmmdonuts

It is noticeably quieter than the old pepper pot muffler I had but it also has a much deeper tone to it as well. I still wear hearing protection when mowing though because while I feel the engine is loud when those blades are moving it is much much louder than the engine.  

For driving around the yard not mowing when I am not at full throttle I typically don't wear hearing protection.

Edited by mmmmmdonuts
  • Like 1

briankd

one question about stacks is while running do you have exhaust in your face much? have a C-120 going to put an IH muffler stack on cause original muffler cracked bad. 

TSC has IH-1 muffler for 29 bucks but the flapper is about another 25 bucks

rjg854
9 hours ago, briankd said:

one question about stacks is while running do you have exhaust in your face much?

depends on which way the wind is blowing :teasing-poke:

• Like 1

dells68
23 hours ago, briankd said:

one question about stacks is while running do you have exhaust in your face much? have a C-120 going to put an IH muffler stack on cause original muffler cracked bad. 

TSC has IH-1 muffler for 29 bucks but the flapper is about another 25 bucks

$25 for a flapper:scared-ghostface:. Now that's scary!  What's it made of, titanium?

• Like 1

briankd
1 hour ago, dells68 said:

$25 for a flapper:scared-ghostface:. Now that's scary!  What's it made of, titanium?

yea that's what I thought when I seen the price a little stupid I think

RickF

When I called TSC, they said the rain cap ( flapper) for the IH-1 was $10.

• Like 1

jellyghost

How quiet is the IH muffler?

dells68

I put one on a harbour freight 13.5 horse and it sounds really good.  A little loud, but has that "big tractor" sound.  Me likey!!!

Achto
14 hours ago, jellyghost said:

How quiet is the IH muffler?

I have one on my Farmall Cub and you can hardly hear it running. Single cylinder engines can be harder to quiet down though. My 16hp Vangaurd engine is much quieter than my 5hp Briggs.

briankd
19 hours ago, RickF said:

When I called TSC, they said the rain cap ( flapper) for the IH-1 was $10.

my local tsc must be priced wrong

fast88pu

IH-1

IMG-20160807-00564.jpg

• Like 1

RickF

That's what I'm looking for !

fast88pu

Not too loud either

USHorse

Looks like threaded unions on some of the pipes.  Will they loosen over time?

fast88pu

No unions needed on the GT14

USHorse

That 90 degree elbow conecting it to the pipe that goes to the engine is not a threaded union?  I ask as my father has a similar setup and his stack keeps leabing because it loosens up on him.  Thought a spot weld would be appropriate?   Sorry for hijacking topic