Dan Hankins

cub cadet 104

Dan Hankins

Got a question for ya all. The cub cadet in the picture was my grandpa's and due to family disagreements it will unfortunately be going on the auction the end of this month. My question is what would you guys think it's worth it does run good and mow. I have a number in my head that I'm willing to go to that I believe is more than its worth but I'm adding in some sentimental value, but I would like some input on what you would be willing to pay without the attachment and history that I have.

fi155.jpeg

• Like 1

Aldon

Looks like one on fleabay for 500 that may time out. It does have a minor governor issue.

So i would use that as a top end and add whatever sentimental value you attach to it.

If not for sentimental value, personally I would try and get it for less than full street value.

diesel cowboy

There was one that sold recently on ebay for $400 without a mower but it had the rear lift on it.  $400-500 is about the absolute max I'd go on one unless like you it had sentimental value but even then I doubt I'd go over $700.

Dan Hankins

Thanks guys I'm right in line with what you guys have said just wanted some input. Grandpa bought it brand new and was really proud of it. I can't remember if he bought it in 67 or 68 but I have the paper work he gave 850 for it new. My number was 550 and if it wasn't for the history I personally would only go 250 to 300 on it.

T-Mo

I had about four 104s, all at the same time.  Of the narrow frame Cubs, they're probably the most common.  I agree with the others, $500 would be about the max for a running one with deck, without the desirable options like creeper gear, hydraulic lift, sleeve hitch, etc. I wouldn't mind having another 104, but just not at this time and it is a bit far for me to go after.

19richie66

If I had the money and the memories of the tractor made it worth more to me than anyone else on the street, I'd pay higher than what it was worth. You got the paperwork to go with it, it was your grandfather's and it looks to be in nice shape. I couldn't let my grandfathers tractor get away unless it was a way out in left field price. Hope you end up with it.

I can't make out the model number but I have one that looks almost just like it. My wife's old landlord bought it new in '70 and when he passed, we got it. 

Edited by 19richie66

WVHillbilly520H

I had a 106 with the "creeper" hi/lo sub transmission before I got the new 520h back in 1998, The older cubs with cast iron rears gear or hydro were the best up till about 1984-85 and my dad still has an "original" 7hp(1961-63) and mid 70s 1200 12hp gear and a 1450 14hp hydro all still running, we gave $350 for the 1450 2 yrs ago,so long story short yep $500 range,Jeff.

DennisThornton

I watch my local CL almost everyday and I include Cubs in my search.  I see the older 1XX models for around $500, seldom much less but sometime more.

Dan Hankins

Well tomorrow is the day wish me luck

Dan Hankins

I got it

• Like 4

DennisThornton

Good!  You and it have a history!  Preserve it!

• Like 2

19richie66

Good for you Dan!

Dan Hankins

I'm really happy got it for less than I was willing to go and dad bought the 1964 2000 ford that you can kinda see in the background for barely over what he originally was going to

• Like 1

JC 1965

Congrats, Hope you enjoy your new toy. Keep us updated on your progress.   :thumbs2:

Dan Hankins
13 hours ago, JC 1965 said:

Congrats, Hope you enjoy your new toy. Keep us updated on your progress.   :thumbs2:

It's just going to get a good cleaning and new fluids then preserved, if I restored it or repainted it then all the original is gone and it wouldn't be grandpa's anymore.

• Like 3

Dan Hankins

Went out to visit dad today and he had been going through old pictures. He found this and gave it to me, that's me setting on it when I was about three years old.

20170211_203142.jpg

• Like 8

Amcwheel85

Glad to see you ended up with the cub! Awesome memories in that picture!

Dan Hankins

She cleaned up pretty decent also. 

20170224_144945.jpg

20170224_144805.jpg

20170224_144740.jpg

• Like 1

Amcwheel85

Looks good! Just get a new headlight decal and that will do wonders for the front end!