cafoose

Just picked up three more please help me identify?

wallfish

1st-- Model # comes up as a Commando 8

2nd one looks like my 654 but not sure

3rd one is a 1960 400/550

Real nice score today!

• Like 5

WHX??

:text-yeahthat: At least someone's  havin a good day!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Foot rests are later model but solid seat pan on the 'burb a plus ... I would have tripped over myself getting to those ags... looks to be Carlisle  tru powers

• Like 3

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, WHX8 said:

:text-yeahthat: At least someone's  havin a good day!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Foot rests are later model but solid seat pan on the 'burb a plus ... I would have tripped over myself getting to those ags... looks to be Carlisle  tru powers

Me too!  I just brought another (off brand) home this evening and right now I don't even know how many tractors I have and not a SINGLE one of them have ags!  Oh!  I lied... The PK does.  But none of the other 12" rears have ags.  I hate to buy just tires when for just a little more I can get a whole tractor!  I had to go back for another look at those ags!

Nice haul for just $300!

Pretty sure the first two are mine and the third is my neighbors!  All three were reported missing last week!

Couldn't resist...B).  My money is on John!  I can just barely see the axle on the third...  Yep, if he's not right I think he is close.

• Like 1

wallfish

Looking again, it appears someone was starting to build a hot rod outta that 400. Lengthened the frame, changed the steering wheel and cut the original foot peg bar. Maybe to fit a huge instant nut roasting engine in there, or maybe he was 6'6" or more and wanted to comfortably ride a suburban.

What is that piece on the side of the frame?

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Nice haul!

I thought the round hood and the one steering wheel tower looked like a 654.

• Like 1

TDF5G

I'd say you done very well there for $300.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

Skeeters65

That 400 looks like junk. Might as well send it to me for disposal!!

Haha

Edited by Skeeters65
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

16173 sure looks like a 1964 serial number

Garry

• Like 1

cafoose
On 10/13/2016 at 7:42 PM, wallfish said:

Looking again, it appears someone was starting to build a hot rod outta that 400. Lengthened the frame, changed the steering wheel and cut the original foot peg bar. Maybe to fit a huge instant nut roasting engine in there, or maybe he was 6'6" or more and wanted to comfortably ride a suburban.

Where does it look like the frame was lengthened? It looks like one solid frame to me. How is the foot peg bar supposed to look? What is the correct wheelbase for the 400? I measured about 48" from axle to axle. What piece on the side of the frame are you referring to?

:confusion-confused:

I would like to thank everyone for your quick responses and all your help :text-thankyouyellow:  That's what makes :rs:so great!

20161014_143516.jpg

20161014_143140.jpg

20161014_143205.jpg

20161014_143239.jpg

20161014_143244.jpg

20161014_143303.jpg

20161014_143326.jpg

20161014_143501.jpg

20161014_143506.jpg

20161014_143510.jpg

• Like 2

wallfish

Wheel base should be closer to 40-41 inches.

Normal foot peg position is in front of the hood stand

Trans bolts to the frame very close to the motor mount holes

20161014_143140.jpg.261561748758c999bfddf32a125dd9a6.jpg

• Like 1

cafoose
10 minutes ago, wallfish said:

:text-thankyouyellow:  for clearing that up. So I guess it's not worth restoring because of the modifications.  :techie-eureka:  Maybe I should just make my own custom tractor with it.  :tools-hammerdrill:

• Like 1

wallfish

If you had the hood, steering wheel and gas tank to go with it, it might be worth putting back together but the way it is now could get expensive. My philosophy is save'm if you can but when they're already chopped, they're fair game for parts or customs.

• Like 3

cafoose

I'll just hang on to it for now and who knows what I will do with it? :confusion-shrug:

I have two others to tinker with anyway for now :banana-wrench:

cafoose

The 1968 Commando 8 has the wrong carburetor on it. :blink:I ordered this one from :techie-ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261711977537

I also need a belt guard part number 4962 for the 654 (Lawn Ranger uses the same guard) and an air cleaner assembly for the Commando. I posted an ad in the classified wanted section.

Commando 8 wrong carburetor.jpg

wallfish
28 minutes ago, cafoose said:

The 1968 Commando 8 has the wrong carburetor on it. :blink:I

HA, Little bit huh? That's a Tecumseh snow blower carb. Guess you got a spare now if you have an older walk behind blower.

cafoose

I actually have an MTD 8 horse snow blower from the early/mid 90's. I have an identical parts snowblower. Now I have three carbs for it!  :lol: :laughing-rolling:

Not sure that's the way I got it :confusion-confused:

On 10/15/2016 at 0:30 PM, wallfish said:

20161014_143140.jpg.261561748758c999bfddf32a125dd9a6.jpg

cafoose

I just looked closer and they did extend it 14 inches. They did a really good job and it's barely noticeable. I also saw a JD emblem in the center of the steering wheel. :handgestures-thumbdown: . I'm thinking of a rat rod with the 400 with the 8hp Briggs that's in the 654 and finding a 6 hp Techy or a K161 for the 654. I also may want an old looking round hood for the 400 and a Wheel Horse steering wheel. The Commando 8 is also missing the belt cover for the starter/generator.

400 frame extension.jpg