Junkers88

B-80, bearing under the PTO is making noise

Junkers88

Some of you may recall that I hauled a B80 out of a field several weeks ago. So far so good. It takes a little while to start it but it does start and run well. Everything under the deck works. I tried moving it this afternoon and heard some grinding under the seat. Shut her down and checked the fluid in there and it's milky. So I drained it and refilled with 140wt but with fluid running out of the fill plug it still is barely on the dip stick. Figured I needed to get the gears in there moving and lubed a bit so I started it back up and let off the clutch a bit. A lot less noise from under the seat but the bearing beneath the PTO pulleys on the side of the engine started squalling and put out some smoke. I can't find a zerk fitting there to grease it so I stopped for the evening and headed in here for help.

Thoughts?

Take care and thank you.

Richard.

N3PUY

just a guess but it sounds like the drive belt is slipping because the transmission is too hard to turn.  I don't think the bearing will smoke but a belt will.

• Like 2

608KEB

Did you clean and grease the PTO? Also after draining transmission. Fill with kerosene or diesel fuel. Run it a while. Drain and refill with oil. Also lift front of tractor up to completely drain.

• Like 3

squonk

A bearing will smoke if it gets hot enough. The grease will start to catch fire. Small outer bearing in PTO is Napa P204RR6

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
6 hours ago, 608KEB said:

Did you clean and grease the PTO? Also after draining transmission. Fill with kerosene or diesel fuel. Run it a while. Drain and refill with oil. Also lift front of tractor up to completely drain.

What 608KEB  said that has work well for me in the past.

• Like 2

Junkers88

I have not cleaned and greased the PTO but will do so. To clarify the PTO bearings are fine, it's the pulled beneath them where the drive belt rides that is making noise. I'll pull the PTO set up off tomorrow and take a look at what's going on under there as well as lift the front end up and fully drain the fluid.

Thank you all.

Richard.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hey Rich, just saw your post, little by little, your making headway. Good going.

Aren't these guys great on this Site?     :wh:

Glenn

TDF5G
9 hours ago, Junkers88 said:

it's the pulled beneath them where the drive belt rides that is making noise. 

Thank you all.

Richard.

This may be your drive pulley on the crankshaft has slid back against the engine block.

Junkers88
On 10/14/2016 at 9:06 AM, TDF5G said:

This may be your drive pulley on the crankshaft has slid back against the engine block.

Thanks TD. I took a look at it and it's not touching. I had to work all weekend so no time with the tractor but will get to it this week. Best bet right now is that the transmission is just too hard to turn from sitting all those years with water contaminated fluid in it. I'll drain it again and refill with the proper amount of fluid.

Richard.

• Like 1

Junkers88

Will be taking a break from this for a while. I used Marvel Mystery oil to clean and coat all the sheet metal and it looks much better but I'm now losing all the skin on my hands. It's to the point that my fingers are so sensitive that I'm having difficulty drawing my recurve and as this is bow season here it Texas that just won't work, I've got meat to put in the freezer.

Richard.

• Like 3