JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

1996 520H with 2 stage snowthrower

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Does anyone have any experience mounting a 2 stage snowblower on a 96 (anniversary) 520H?  The black cover over the pto is what's confusing to me. I am looking REAL SERIOUS at this 96 520H, and since I bought the 2 stage blower for it I thought I would ask if there is anything funky about that year and mounting the snowblower on it.

Btw, also, the 520 takes a differant cab for it to, right? A regular cab won't fit correctly?

Thanks guys, GLENN

HEAR that Doug, I am talking cab, your karma is working on me.    :happy-jumpeveryone:

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 2

DougC
42 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

the 520 takes a differant cab for it to, right? A regular cab won't fit correctly?

Original Cab Company 79978 is what I bought for my '95 520H and I believe it should fit yours as well. That also fits the 300 and 400 series I have been told.:)

My '95 has no black plastic pto belt guard cover, and if it did I would remove it.   :lol:

• Like 2

lynnmor

You don't use the plastic mower belt cover.  There is a part that bolts to the frame and a small steel belt cover gets pinned to it.  You should be able to download a manual for it.  They are a bear to install, so get the factory instructions and follow them closely.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
56 minutes ago, DougC said:

Original Cab Company 79978 is what I bought for my '95 520H and I believe it should fit yours as well. That also fits the 300 and 400 series I have been told.:)

My '95 has no black plastic pto belt guard cover, and if it did I would remove it.   :lol:

my 95 I sold , dopey me. lol

Glenn

20150428_133345.jpg

20150426_163307.jpg

20150428_133531.jpg

20150428_133611.jpg

• Like 8

DougC

I'm glad you got the snow cab bug Glenn, Once you get it bought, put together and installed and sit warm and comfortable inside operating that 520H and 2 stage monster of a snow thrower like me you will ask your self Why didn't I buy one of these years ago? No wind chill factor or eye glasses full of snow, No painfully cold fingers and toes, No ice covered face and most importantly a cup holder for your favorite snow removal beverage, hot or cold, your choice!    :handgestures-thumbupright:

Cup holder sold separately.     :)

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
4 minutes ago, DougC said:

I'm glad you got the snow cab bug Glenn, Once you get it bought, put together and installed and sit warm and comfortable inside operating that 520H and 2 stage monster of a snow thrower like me you will ask your self Why didn't I buy one of these years ago? No wind chill factor or eye glasses full of snow, No painfully cold fingers and toes, No ice covered face and most importantly a cup holder for your favorite snow removal beverage, hot or cold, your choice!    :handgestures-thumbupright:

Cup holder sold separately.     :)

If my mrs gets wind of all the stuff I been getting, promise me you'll send flowers to the church. Lol 

Glenn

I found another 520, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay nicer than that one I was looking at with the bent foot board.

• Like 4

DougC

We don't have to tell her Glenn. No one else has to know........:lol:

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

The black plastic belt cover is a non issue Glenn. It comes right off with 2 plastic thumb screws. I'm sure it was a result of litigation.

And a beautiful 95 by the way!

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

Glenn my 520 blower tractor is an Anniversary model but get this a 1997 (bought new in 1998) and my cab came from a 417A it's just a bit tight at the back of the seat a non issue really and Cleat has an excellent "pictorial"  thread on here of installing that behemoth on the 520s that's how I figured out how to get mine hitched up this past December,Jeff.

IMAG2212.jpg

IMAG2224.jpg

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
50 minutes ago, Wishin4a416 said:

The black plastic belt cover is a non issue Glenn. It comes right off with 2 plastic thumb screws. I'm sure it was a result of litigation.

And a beautiful 95 by the way!

Yes, it was, very low hours to. Kurt NEPA is the proud owner now, a great guy. I remember when he came out, he wasnt used to Matts foot pedal kit I put on it. I told Kurt drive around all you want. Well anyway, it went to a good home with a good guy, it's getting cared for. But now, it's time for my replacement. Always missed that 520 hydro. 

Glenn

• Like 2

Forest Road

I had a cab on a 96 520. Looked like every other can I've seen on a classic Horse. Sold it to Wallfish. I envy all you short guys that actually fit into those things. 

Cabs built for Xi tractors were a bit different. The framework shot out to form a wedge behind the seat. 

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

A little teaser shot, original owner, 342 hours on the clock, 42 inch deck.

Glenn

00x0x_36q4w9vyVrY_600x450.jpg

• Like 8

Forest Road

Saw it on CL. Did you get it? 

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
16 minutes ago, Forest Road said:

Saw it on CL. Did you get it? 

That's the one, I just have to get it. Maybe this weekend.

Glenn

cleat

This may help.

Cleat

• Like 1

DougC

This is the new style cab. I have been told it is a much roomier cab interior wise than the older style cab. 

100_1382.JPG

100_1373.JPG

100_1419.JPG

100_1407.JPG

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Doug, that is the correct 520 cab. could you post a picture showing the back please, I was told it has a zipper up the back in the center. to make it easier to re fuel the machine. I would be interested in seeing that, also, if you wouldnt mind, that model number again, and where do we get that cab? I can only find the 5xi cab on the website. Thanks again for your help.

Glenn

DougC

Glenn, www.originalcabcompany.com part number 79978 fits classic 300, 400 and 500 series .

I got a tip from a friend on this forum that New Haven Power Equipment in Vermont had them on sale and they did so I bought from them and they UPS'ed it with insurance to my door an about 3 days.

You are correct about the long rear zipper in the center of the rear panel for ease of fueling. That is a great feature.

Wife loaned our camera to her church for a project so I can't show you a picture of the back for a while.  :lol:  I do have this one but sweeper blocks the view.

100_1392.JPG

DougC

I just checked New Haven Powers web site and they have them on sale now for $699 same as last year. They have it listed as for the 300 series again part number 79978 

Phone 802-453-2175

It will have a black roof not a white roof as shown in their picture.

Edited by DougC

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
20 minutes ago, DougC said:

I just checked New Haven Powers web site and they have them on sale now for $699 same as last year. They have it listed as for the 300 series again part number 79978 

Phone 802-453-2175

It will have a black roof not a white roof as shown in their picture.

Thanks Doug........

I just noticed, NO REAR WEIGHTS ?????

just curious hows that treat you....no problems  ,,.albeit,,, ,I am blubbery. fancy word for fat..haha......how about I threw the albeit in there to.......lol

thanks,  Glenn

• Like 1

DougC

I don't have the 2 stage, I have an old single stage short chute for the old '88 for snow drifts on my concrete parking pad and use the '95 with the cab and  48" dozer blade for the rest of the long gravel driveway and parking areas of our small business 

When I was 150 lbs I had a lot more traction problems than I do now at 200 lbs............:lol:

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA
21 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Yes, it was, very low hours to. Kurt NEPA is the proud owner now, a great guy.

It is a fantastic tractor Glenn.  I added an electric fuel pump and new tires.  Its like a new tractor now.  I hate to run it with the low hours.

Thanks,

Kurt

2 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

albeit,,, ,I am blubbery. fancy word for fat..haha

thanks,  Glenn

I resemble that remark Glenn,

Even with that said, I am adding rear ballast weights to counter balance my two stage.  75# wheel weights and my fat a$$ weren't enough when I had to back up the hill with the blower raised.

Kurt

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
49 minutes ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

Even with that said, I am adding rear ballast weights to counter balance my two stage.  75# wheel weights and my fat a$$ weren't enough when I had to back up the hill with the blower raised.

Kurt

I have 75# cast iron wheel weights, 5 gallons of RV antifreeze in each tire, plus the 3 43# suitcase weights hanging off a fabbed rear hanger and I believe it would climb a tree now,Jeff.

IMAG1684.jpg

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA
6 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I have 75# cast iron wheel weights, 5 gallons of RV antifreeze in each tire, plus the 3 43# suitcase weights hanging off a fabbed rear hanger and I believe it would climb a tree now,Jeff.

Your setup seems to add as much weight as mine.

I added a hitch and 100 lbs of barbell weights.  I'm hoping that is enough.  150lbs of wheel weights, 100+ lbs of barbells and my 250+ should be enough.  At least I hope so.  We'll see.  I hope you are right about climbing a tree Jeff.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

That extra 130+ lbs hanging back there made one heck of a difference this past winter even with the addition of a 2stage out front vs the single stage before and the 2 link chains on the AGs and my 180 in the seat,Jeff.

• Like 1