jellyghost

Buy Opportunity

jellyghost

I have the opportunity to buy a beat up 212-H.  I don't need it, but I wouldn't mind having it to putz around on if it is a good price.  What do you think is a fair price for this find?  I don't think the tires need kicked because they are flat.  What other poking around should I do to discern a purchase?  It appears this model was made with a Kohler, Kawasaki, and Briggs engine.  I would value the Kohler the most, but what are your thoughts?  What is so strange about the mower deck?

Thanks!

KIMG0218.JPG

PART_1476225278249_KIMG0219.JPG

Edited by jellyghost

JimD

The 200 series tractors were a more residential mower class tractor, not built for ground engaging equipment such as a plow or tiller. I believe the vertical shaft engines you mentioned are all good engines that would last long if maintained properly, like any engine would need. As for the deck, it's a 37 inch side discharge that lay diagonally across the underside of the tractor. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the way they were designed. As it sits, with the tires needing at least air, and missing the flywheel cover, for me it would be a 100 dollar machine. As I mentioned earlier it is a machine designed for mowing and not much else. If you know more about it than you are telling us it could be worth more to you. Does it run? Do you need to buy tubes for the tires? Is the flywheel cover available with the purchase? Just those questions answered could make a difference. Let us know what you decide and what you will do with it if you buy it. :)

Edited by JimD
  • Like 6

jellyghost
25 minutes ago, JimD said:

The 200 series tractors were a more residential mower class tractor, not built for ground engaging equipment such as a plow or tiller. I believe the vertical shaft engines you mentioned are all good engines that would last long if maintained properly, like any engine would need. As for the deck, it's a 37 inch side discharge that lay diagonally across the underside of the tractor. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the way they were designed. As it sits, with the tires needing at least air, and missing the flywheel cover, for me it would be a 100 dollar machine. As I mentioned earlier it is a machine designed for mowing and not much else. If you know more about it than you are telling us it could be worth more to you. Does it run? Do you need to buy tubes for the tires? Is the flywheel cover available with the purchase? Just those questions answered could make a difference. Let us know what you decide and what you will do with it if you buy it. :)

Thanks for that great info.  I don't know anything else, and $100 is the asking price.  I was worried about the mower deck because the color is so off.  

I was going to check the oil and see if the engine would jump.  It sure looks like the tires are bad from the pics.  You mentioned that the engine is a vertical shaft.  Does that mean this engine would never be a suitable replacement for a Wheel Horse with a side PTO?  If so, that really diminishes the value in my eyes.

JimD

There could be several reasons the deck color is so different. It could have been stored inside while it looks like the tractor spent a lot of time outside in the weather. Or it may have replaced the original deck at some point. I don't know if anyone here has ever done it before but I wouldn't attempt to make a horizontal shaft engine work on this one. It would be a major fab job to say the least. But if you can use a little mowing tractor that could also pull a wagon around for you, this might serve you well.And If the asking price is 100, you might talk him down a bit on condition. :)

squonk

I had a 90 210-H with the Briggsey motor for 20 yrs. I mowed, plowed snow, blew snow & pulled down a tree with it. All I ever repaired on it was a fuse, diode and tie rod end. You have to do that to a 520 just to get it off the trailer! :)

• Like 1

Tonyp

Well I'm gonna say it, by the looks of the photo, FREE would not even be a good deal.

Regarding the LAWN tractor Series , I bought an A110 new in 75 and ran it for around 12 years no  issues. It was garage kept and maintained all the way. I only sold it to step up to a 310-8 in 87.  

The 212 is a nice machine as well, but me, my opinion,  I wouldn't spend $100  on the one in the photo. 

just my take

• Like 5

953 nut

From the looks of it you would be financially so far into this project that you could have bought a nice little running RJ or Suburban to putz around on and had change left over; just walk away. :twocents-02cents:

6 hours ago, jellyghost said:

I wouldn't mind having it to putz around on

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH

To me - $25 if you wanted to do them a favor and get it out of their yard...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

Jerry77
6 hours ago, jellyghost said:

but what are your thoughts?

Looks like 40 miles of bad road to me..don't walk - run away.. my :twocents-02cents:

• Like 4

Tankman

Owned one lawn tractor, early '70's. Since then, all garden tractors.

I want and need garden tractors; push snow, mow, turn the earth, grade my stone drives.

• Like 3

Tonyp
38 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

well, to me doing them a favor would be them giving ME $25 to take it away ! 

sorry I couldn't  resist !  

I agree that for $100 or even $200 initial cost,  there are way better machines out there that probably already RUN. 

• Like 1

T-Mo
7 hours ago, jellyghost said:

Thanks for that great info.  I don't know anything else, and $100 is the asking price.  I was worried about the mower deck because the color is so off.  

I was going to check the oil and see if the engine would jump.  It sure looks like the tires are bad from the pics.  You mentioned that the engine is a vertical shaft.  Does that mean this engine would never be a suitable replacement for a Wheel Horse with a side PTO?  If so, that really diminishes the value in my eyes.

There are good buys out there.  There are a few now on CL and a few within a couple of hours drive from you.  This time of year is a good time to buy since for the most part, especially in Missouri, lawn mowing season is over.  Look for a good B-series, C-series or a 300 series tractor, or a mid to late 60s Wheel Horse.  If a B series, be sure it doesn't have the smaller tires on it and vertical shaft engine as those are lawn tractors (unless it's in good running shape since you just want to put-put around some).  If a 200 series, again be sure it's in good running condition and be sure you test drive it around for a while, especially the hydros.  A weak or worn out hydro will show itself after it's warmed up, while it may pull ok if cold.  Drive it!

Again, now is a good time to buy since mowing season is coming to an end.  What will sell at a higher price now is tractors with snow blades or snow blowers as the white stuff will start to fly before we know it.

• Like 3

Aldon

I would shy away from it personally.

• Like 4

TDF5G
4 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-yeahthat: I agree.  This tractor doesn't have much value at all.  It's not a garden tractor, and it's not in very good condition.  To bring it back to life and be usable, you'd have to spend too much $ on it.   IMO, I wouldn't pay over $25, tops.

ACman

For a racing mower project maybe :scratchead: ?

jellyghost
4 hours ago, T-Mo said:

There are good buys out there.  There are a few now on CL and a few within a couple of hours drive from you.  This time of year is a good time to buy since for the most part, especially in Missouri, lawn mowing season is over.  Look for a good B-series, C-series or a 300 series tractor, or a mid to late 60s Wheel Horse.  If a B series, be sure it doesn't have the smaller tires on it and vertical shaft engine as those are lawn tractors (unless it's in good running shape since you just want to put-put around some).  If a 200 series, again be sure it's in good running condition and be sure you test drive it around for a while, especially the hydros.  A weak or worn out hydro will show itself after it's warmed up, while it may pull ok if cold.  Drive it!

Again, now is a good time to buy since mowing season is coming to an end.  What will sell at a higher price now is tractors with snow blades or snow blowers as the white stuff will start to fly before we know it.

if you see some good deals close to KC, please send me a pm!  I don't really need one right now, but I could hide it in a garage at another property until the wife changes her mind.