Indiana_Steve

'72 10 horse siezed....

Indiana_Steve

My new  project had sat under a tarp for a while. Engine seized, cleaned out mouse hotel in shroud, pulled head and had a bunch of water in the cylinder. Been soaking with penetrant hoping to break her free. No luck yet. Was hoping to break the piston loose and get by with honing cylinder wall. Am I going about this the right way or should I just open it up?

• Like 1

Team70R

Was there any oil in it??

953 nut
15 minutes ago, Indiana_Steve said:

just open it up

If it had that much water in it the likelihood of rotating the crank and honing the cylinder and living happily ever after is slim to none. 

• Like 2

JAinVA

As 953nut states even if you get it free you will find more damage.In my experience water intrusion will cause pits in the cylinder bore around the piston area that won't be apparent until the piston moves.If you want an engine you can depend on don't waste the time and just plan on a complete teardown.If water got in the cylinder it proably damaged the bearings even if the crankcase is full of oil.

The bearings see no oil at rest,they basically only get oiled while runnng.Not what you want to hear but if you pull it down you know what you have.JAinVA 

• Like 1

Indiana_Steve

I figured as much. It did have oil in it but don't know if it was added after the fact.  I just can't figure how that much water got in there. The plug was in....

Team70R

Water probably came in through exhaust if the valve was remotely open 

• Like 2