Shynon

Hy 2

Shynon

Just wondering what you all are using for fluid in your hy 2 or 3 pumps. And how long have you had your tractor running, and used or not used the hydraulic lift? How hot does the pump get?

The reason I ask is I had The Machine out for a test run for about an hour and the pump was too hot to touch. Really looking to hear from those of you who have and have used an HY 2 or 3 pump.

Thanks Tom

• Like 2

Aldon

I just bought a pump to add hydraulic lift to a gear drive tractor so I am following this thread. Need to get schooled up:-)

• Like 1

squonk

I don't know you know what from Shinola but on my PK I use std R & O (Rust  & Oxidation) Preventative Hyd fluid. If I had it to do over again I would have used maybe AW32 as the loader needs to be warmed up in cold weather to work properly. Being an old and not Hi Tech pump you probably could get away with Auto Trans fluid. Depends if the o-rings and seals have been changed. If it's all rebuilt any good hyd fluid should work. Somebody here has to know what was originally used. I would ask @Lane Ranger

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

In this HY 2 Hydraulic Pump Manual it mentions filling with Wheel Horse  # 4822 Hydraulic Oil which you could buy at the dealer.   Not sure who made it and if we used it before that is long since gone from my memory!

The fluid I use is Lucas Hydraulic Fluid.    I bought a gallon and it should last me ten years !

• Like 5

953 nut

I changed out the fluid on my first 953's pump (same as HY 2) about 13 years ago, it was red so I used Dextron and it has been fine.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Tom, I have the HY-2 on my 702 which I have used for years.  The Pump should not get hot.  The manual says cause of excessive heating could be pinched hose or low fluid.  I did a rebuild thread a few years ago if you want to see the inside.  Type "A" hydrolic fluid.  Pictures starts on page 2 of the link.  :)  Bought the fluid from TSC.

2008_1218HY-20003.jpg

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

prondzy

Steve, I am having the warm/hot issue also, I have a NOS 1054 pump, a rebuilt cylinder and new hoses from Lowell, I have ATF in mine also and I'm wondering how full is your pump?  I don't want to be Under filled but want to leave enough room for fluid expansion when it get warm

stevasaurus

Mike, I pretty much filled it when I rebuilt it, but I do have a leak somewhere on the back of the pump...so for the last few years some keeps coming out.  It is a very slow leak, and I was ready to go after it (when the 857 died).  I did add some a few months ago...so, I would guess about 1/2 full.  I'll get out the 702 this weekend and run it for a while and check the heat I might get from the pump.  :)

• Like 2