AHenry014

'84 GT-1100 Briggs Overcharging

AHenry014

Hey all,

New to the this forum and looking for some help.  Been a Wheel Horse fan all my life.  As soon as i could reach the pedals, I learned to mow on a 310-8.  That 310-8, nicknamed the "Tetnis Steed" for obvious reasons, was retired this past weekend. It was handed down to me when my father upgraded to a 314-8. I picked up a '84 GT-1100 to replace it.  While not terribly enthused with the 11hp Briggs that came on it compared to the 10hp Kohler i am used to, it does run well and gets the job done.  Beyond having to get used to the throttle/choke combo lever, the engine seems to be overcharging the battery by quite a bit.  I am measuring in the mid to upper-16v range at operating RPM.  At idle, it measures low to mid-15v range.  From my research, there doesnt appear to be a separate voltage regulator on this tractor.  

Anyone have an idea of what the issue may be, if there even is one? From my automotive experience, anything outside of the normal 14-14.5 volt measured voltage when running has a bad voltage regulator, but i am not familiar with this engine in particular.  I dont want to cook the brand new battery i just installed.  

Thank you!

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Achto
2 hours ago, AHenry014 said:

I am measuring in the mid to upper-16v range at operating RPM.  At idle, it measures low to mid-15v range.  From my research, there doesnt appear to be a separate voltage regulator on this tractor.

:WRS:

Those Briggs engines don't use a regulator. They just use a diode to change AC power to DC power. Voltage in the 16v range at operating speed is common in my experience. I don't care for the high voltage either but the batteries seem to be able to take it.

Edited by achto
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

If you have not tried it check the voltage with an analog meter. Sometimes a digital meter will give you erroneous readings.

This has the dual circuit stator

Black stator lead produces AC and feeds the lights only.

Red lead has the diode and charges battery.

Stator is "G" in this file

Garry

• Like 2

AHenry014

Thanks all! I will try to get my hands on an analog meter.  

Achto

You will also notice on the chart that @gwest_ca provided that there is only a minimum voltage parameter. They do not provide a maximum voltage parameter.

AHenry014

yes, i did notice that.  So long as most notice this type of running voltage, i wont worry too much about it.  

gwest_ca

Does not apply directly to these models but may give you some ideas

Garry