bgh5469

ARK 550 FEL lifting Capacity?

bgh5469

Was wondering if anyone knows what the safe lifting capacity is on the ARK 550.  I have D-160 with the 1" front axles and am always afraid over doing it.  I have lifted the D series 60" rear mower deck with the bucket a few times and have always worried I was going to damage the front axle.  It seems to me that the front axle is the weak link on the d series when lifting with the bucket.

gwest_ca

Garry

• Like 1

pfrederi

The 1" front axles are adequate for the 500lb capacity.  Weak spot are the bearings in eh front wheels.  Several thread here about D series front hub replacements using trailer type roller bearings.  I haven't done it yet but I am gentle with her when I have a big load on it.  No high speed on rough terrain.

Edited by pfrederi

bgh5469

Thanks for the information.  500# seems like a lot of for these tractors!    

pfrederi

I would add that if I have it heavily loaded I keep the bucket low.  Instability is more likely than overloading the hydro pump and/or loader frame.

• Like 1

953 nut

My GT-14 has a Johnson Workhorse FEL which is about the same, lifted one of my 953s with it with no problem, about 700 pounds. I didn't travel very far with it; just enough to get it back on its wheels.    :scared-eek:   Don't ask for pictures, there aren't any.

• Like 1

maxiblue

I have a D-250 with a ARK 550 on it I carried  my full dress AMC 390 engine with it, like over 500lbs. Have the rear tires loaded 75lbs each and rear wheel weights 55lbs each and myself 250lbs.

Edited by maxiblue
  • Like 1