troutbum70

wheel horse d 250

troutbum70

Anyone have info on the d 250 wheel horse as to how well they were built, their long Gevity and possible value if in really great shape?

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

"Sherman Tank" comes to mind in terms of what they can do...

Others with a lot more smarts than I will comment further...

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 2

troutbum70

Well they sure like they were built like German tanks.

• Like 1

maxiblue

I have had my D-250 with a loader on it for over 10 years now and have had no problems with it of any kind just change the oil each year, a tune up and that is it. Used mine for my business up to about 3 years ago ( retired now) and never give up my wheel horse D-250s. Only disadvantage is no power steering but have just found a way to add power steering to it for just over $100. They are built very well with lots of power, Parts for the engine may be hard to come by but I have found lately new fuel pumps and new water pumps for them and may have found new after market mufflers for them (still working on that) . I am now building another D250 out of 2 parts D250s.

I think they are great tractors for work and for collecting. Price on them is a wide range from about a few hundred to a few thousand depending on condition and what comes with it.  

fm3.JPG

• Like 7

elliot ness
1 hour ago, maxiblue said:

I have had my D-250 with a loader on it for over 10 years now and have had no problems with it of any kind just change the oil each year, a tune up and that is it. Used mine for my business up to about 3 years ago ( retired now) and never give up my wheel horse D-250s. Only disadvantage is no power steering but have just found a way to add power steering to it for just over $100. They are built very well with lots of power, Parts for the engine may be hard to come by but I have found lately new fuel pumps and new water pumps for them and may have found new after market mufflers for them (still working on that) . I am now building another D250 out of 2 parts D250s.

I think they are great tractors for work and for collecting. Price on them is a wide range from about a few hundred to a few thousand depending on condition and what comes with it.  

fm3.JPG

Sweet mother of wheel horses, that is a nice D250, and you are correct they are tough as nails, I have had two of them and loved them both.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Keep posting because I love to keep reading about them!  No first hand experience but I gather they aren't Wheel Horses at all, but Gutbrods imported by Wheel Horse.  Now maybe WH spec'd some things, like paint and perhaps the engine.  Renault 800-01?  Under rated horse power per import regulations?  And I quote:  "D250's are a strange breed. They were Wheel Horse's Edsel and were a true international effort. American specs, German design, French engine, Italian steering gearbox...."

I've read the steering had issues and that Renault parts have been difficult to find.

I know they look awesome and if that engine is well under rated then they must be powerful for their size.

I don't want to steal this thread so I don't want this to take over but this picture brings up something I don't understand, and it applies to this and any other tractor with a FEL and WITHOUT power steering?  How do you steer it with a loaded bucket?

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

One member here recently had his for sale, no attachments that I remember, but a lot of work was done restoring it, some electric still to be done. If memory serves me 2500 was the asking price. It was nice to, had a video of it running around. Best of luck.

Me, I always fancied a D160 / D180. 

Glenn

DennisThornton
15 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

One member here recently had his for sale, no attachments that I remember, but a lot of work was done restoring it, some electric still to be done. If memory serves me 2500 was the asking price. It was nice to, had a video of it running around. Best of luck.

Me, I always fancied a D160 / D180. 

Glenn

Hey Glenn, you didn't mention the D-200?  And what about the 18 Automatic?  My concerns about any of them is if I got a good deal on a clean basic machine it would drive me nuts and cost me big $$$ to get all the neat stuff and attachments to go with them.  Front PTO, rear PTO and all the D-Series only attachments!  Then I think about what I love about Wheels Horses and that there are so many around, so many attachments that fit and quite a few new parts and that most of those benefits don't apply to the D-Series and especially not the D-250 GutBrod.  I'm most likely not going to hunt down any Ds, but if one wanders too close with it's guard down...

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
14 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Hey Glenn, you didn't mention the D-200?  And what about the 18 Automatic?  My concerns about any of them is if I got a good deal on a clean basic machine it would drive me nuts and cost me big $$$ to get all the neat stuff and attachments to go with them.  Front PTO, rear PTO and all the D-Series only attachments!  Then I think about what I love about Wheels Horses and that there are so many around, so many attachments that fit and quite a few new parts and that most of those benefits don't apply to the D-Series and especially not the D-250 GutBrod.  I'm most likely not going to hunt down any Ds, but if one wanders too close with it's guard down...

I had one on the radar recently, out in Pittsburgh, D180, also about 30 miles away from me in Jersey, D180 with plow and 3 point, original owner 1400 bucks, I should have pulled the trigger but didn't. And look what I get, a B-80. My little dreamboat, but a fraction of the price to.  One day Dennis, the BIG D beckons. One day ,,,,,,,,,,

I was pondering selling my other Ingersoll, the 2002 4018, that has goodies to, but then I think where the heck can I find another in that shape with only 77 hours on it, 48 inch deck, 3 point and hydraulic tiller. If I sold it I would kick myself in the A$$. Lol

Glenn

• Like 1

stratostar250

If you are interested in one, look for a later model which have revised transmissions which are less prone to breaking (you can tell it's a later model by having the 4 hydraulic connections on the front, and the shifter comes from front of the rear fender NOT straight up through trans tunnel cover next to all the other levers ).  I read someone describe the 1976 model as having "self-destructing" transaxles.  I've had decent luck with mine, I would honestly say that I wouldn't DEPEND on the tractor.  Mine always starts, drives, and performs wonderfully, but I wouldn't want to use it every day doing hard work,  It's an impressive and cool machine, but finding parts and hoping that it doesn't have any issues sometimes worry me, but don't get me wrong, it is a sweet machine.  Here's some videos I've taken of it.  

• Like 6

maxiblue

The restored one that was on here for sale was from here in Connecticut went finally for $2400 and is still in Connecticut a member  here bought it. I bought the 2 D250s he parted out to restore that tractor :ROTF: . Hope I will be able to make one good one out of two. By the way I don't collect wheel horse tractors I just own a couple of D-250s which I used for my business and found to be the best bang for the buck.

Edited by maxiblue
  • Like 1

DennisThornton
20 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

I had one on the radar recently, out in Pittsburgh, D180, also about 30 miles away from me in Jersey, D180 with plow and 3 point, original owner 1400 bucks, I should have pulled the trigger but didn't. And look what I get, a B-80. My little dreamboat, but a fraction of the price to.  One day Dennis, the BIG D beckons. One day ,,,,,,,,,,

I was pondering selling my other Ingersoll, the 2002 4018, that has goodies to, but then I think where the heck can I find another in that shape with only 77 hours on it, 48 inch deck, 3 point and hydraulic tiller. If I sold it I would kick myself in the A$$. Lol

Glenn

A Case/Ingersoll has been on my wish list for several years.  Just don't see them around here!  You better keep yours!

6wheeler

I have a 76 and I use it all the time. It is a great garden tractor. I pull a 12" brinley plow. Also a tandem 3point brinley disc (2 single gangs welded together). Also, I rake my lawn grass hay with it too because it can go relatively fast for raking. I pull a small "hay" wagon with it too. The only issues I have had? Fuel pump went out so I replaced it with an electric pump. Also, the governor mount kept coming loose. A little lock tight on the threads cured that. The only thing I would like to have on it? Heim joints on the 2 lift arms on the three point. Otherwise? it is a great tractor. Engine Parts? I get them from NAPA.  Tom, Nice plowing video. Not trying to be critical. But, you plowed it backwards. You should have started on the right and moved left. Your right rear wheel should have been in the furrow. It would have rolled the sod over and filled the furrows.    Pat

Edited by 6wheeler
  • Like 2

HUDSON89

This is my D250 only thing I've done is put 4 new tires I can say they steering  box not the  best made it about impossible to service them and the transaxle are not the greatest 

FB_IMG_1476412014920.jpg

• Like 3