clemet

I posted a bit ago about the 2 tractors that followed me home.  I finally had the time to start the tear down and rebuild on the 417.  From what I can it is an 86 with a KT17 series 2.  All the tags were missing off both the tractor and the engine.  I pulled the front valve cover off, and cannot feel any major wear on the engine which is surprising considering it has over 1300 hours on it. My plan is to do all new gaskets and rings before it is all said and done just for the piece of mind.  I picked this thing up from the coast in North Carolina so it is rusty not surface rust, but rusty.  Luckily there are no holes in any of the sheet metal that I have found yet.  Time will tell though since I still have to get into the sanding phase.  Right now all I have done is tear it down, and because of the storm plus the peanut butter I found in the transmission I decided to tear it down and rebuild it first.  I have new seals and axle bearings in the mail, and the transmission cleaned up.  My parts washer almost needs a swap out of diesel again.  I changed it right before I started on this.

20161002_081528.jpg

20161006_060343.jpg20161006_060353.jpg

20161008_171012.jpg

20161008_171009.jpg

Edited by clemet
  • Like 8

oldredrider

We have a term for tractors picked up on the East coast near the ocean: Sea Horses.

• Like 7

SPINJIM

Congrats on the 417-8.    I picked up one two weeks ago, and it's already my favorite.  It's going to be my snowblower tractor this winter.  My local ex-WH dealer told me that the 86's had louvers on the hood, and the 85's did not.   I can't tell from the pictures whether yours has them or not.   Just thought it might help in identifying your tractor.  There were some minor differences in the two years.   I read somewhere that in 85, the electric lift was optional, and in 86 it was standard, but mine is an 86, and the lift looks like it was added later.   Might have been some overlap.  Someone else might have a definite answer.   But the info on the louvers is pretty reliable.   Have fun with it.

Jim

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, oldredrider said:

We have a term for tractors picked up on the East coast near the ocean: Sea Horses.

Check for salt in the transmission - not just water...:ychain:

troutbum70

I have had my 417-8 ever since new it has been very reliable, it has mowed at lot of grass and pushed a bunch of snow. The main thing with the kohler is keep the oil changed.

clemet
2 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

Congrats on the 417-8.    I picked up one two weeks ago, and it's already my favorite.  It's going to be my snowblower tractor this winter.  My local ex-WH dealer told me that the 86's had louvers on the hood, and the 85's did not.   I can't tell from the pictures whether yours has them or not.   Just thought it might help in identifying your tractor.  There were some minor differences in the two years.   I read somewhere that in 85, the electric lift was optional, and in 86 it was standard, but mine is an 86, and the lift looks like it was added later.   Might have been some overlap.  Someone else might have a definite answer.   But the info on the louvers is pretty reliable.   Have fun with it.

Jim

That's basically how I came to it being an 86.  Louvered hood and electric lift.

Hopefully I have better weather tomorrow so I can dig out my sandblaster and clean up the frame, front axle, and a few other pieces.

Edited by clemet

slammer302

I have a 417-8 not sure what year but it also has louvered hood and electric lift. It has around 1400 hrs runs well but does smoke at low idle but still mows a lawn with no problems. Good luck on your rebuild.

clemet

Todays progress.  A little grinding, sanding, sand blasting and then prime and paint.

20161010_143439.jpg

20161010_152109.jpg

Edited by clemet
  • Like 3

clemet

20161012_175105.jpg

20161012_175108.jpg

• Like 1

19richie66

I'll be following this as I have 2 418-A's and fixin to get a 417-A. At least one will get restored eventually. Looking good so far!

clemet

Got the transmission back together, and reinstalled.  Now to work on the rest of the linkages and brackets before moving on to the sheet metal.

20161013_182129.jpg

20161013_170357.jpg

• Like 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Nice job so far to. Best of luck.

Glenn

clemet

A little more progress.  It seems like I spend more time waiting on paint to dry than anything else these days lol.....

20161017_175751.jpg

• Like 3

SPINJIM
4 hours ago, clemet said:

A little more progress.  It seems like I spend more time waiting on paint to dry than anything else these days lol.....

20161017_175751.jpg

That's how I justify having two projects going at once.   While paint dries on one, I can work on the other.  

Really nice job so far.  Keep us up to date.

clemet

I'm starting to think I need to be looking up engine rebuild parts now since it's getting closer to being time to start on it. 

I figure that I will give the paint about a month to cure before I order the decal kit, and then once I get the new decals on give it a good coat of wax.

20161020_160102.jpg

20161019_194624.jpg

20161020_162116.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Hard to believe...  :clap:

that's the same tractor. 

• Like 1

clemet
6 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Hard to believe...  :clap:

that's the same tractor. 

Tell me about it.  There was a lot of rust to sand through, and I am sure there is still some in places.  I did use a rusty metal primer.  Unfortunately I still have a bunch of rusty pieces to go.

clemet

The sheet metal is all cleaned and painted.  Now to just let it cure and bolt it on.  Then comes the fun part of painting the bolts.  Since the floorboards are pitted bad with rust I am going to just roll some bedliner on them for protection and traction.

Next step will be to unmount the tires and paint the wheels.

I ordered the engine rebuild kit, tires, and a couple other little parts today so once I get all that I can keep moving forward.  I am looking forward to getting this one done so that I can pull my '73 in and give it a once over this winter.

20161022_145714.jpg

20161022_145543.jpg

20161022_145600.jpg

20161022_145703.jpg

20161022_145605.jpg

20161022_145553.jpg

clemet

Got the rest of the sheet metal painted and installed.  Bedliner is on the floorboards.  Now to wait on the rest of the little parts, and pry this weekend start on the engine rebuild.

20161023_133251.jpg

20161026_160210.jpg

20161026_160203.jpg

20161026_160157.jpg

20161023_133258.jpg

• Like 5

clemet

Getting a lot closer.  A bunch more parts show up Monday, and then just waiting on the decals to ship.  Plus I have to do the exhaust yet.  I am glad that my 15yo son is helping and having a blast.

20161029_174654.jpg

20161029_162117.jpg

• Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Watch out Carl, I think your son thinks your helping him work on HIS tractor.  I have seen that look before.    :)

I like the bedliner on the floorboards idea to. Turning out really nice.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
Spellchecker is beating me up

19richie66

Looks really nice!

clemet
19 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Watch out Carl, I think your son thinks your helping him work on HIS tractor.  I have seen that look before.    :)

I like the bedliner on the floorboards idea to. Turning out really nice.

Glenn

I actually had to call his name a couple times just to get that picture vice the back of his head.  He was very intent no getting the bolts tight.  The good news is I have trained him well.  Even though I have plenty of powerful impacts and such he goes for a pair of wrenches.

• Like 2

clemet

Today's progress.  Got the exhaust done, and installed.

20161030_174531.jpg

20161030_174522.jpg

• Like 2

clemet

What parts do I need to add a sleeve hitch to this tractor?  I haven't really been able to find a lot of good info.  I have an electric lift so do I need the rocker shaft that mounts between the gas tank?  I have the tube for the cable, but haven't really seen anything about mounting the hitch.  I am debating pulling the hitch off my '73 since it will be regulated to mowing duties.