JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

TRAILER , for hauling your tractors

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Mods, if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it, thanks.

Ok guys, since the carnage thread, trailer accident was posted I wanted to start this thread on trailers. Who has what kind of trailer and why?

I have been recently researching on buying a trailer for myself, to move my tractors around. I have decided that the best size for me is a 6 x 12. I would like a tandem axel, but price  puts that out of range for me. Plus I want to be abel to maneuver it around the yard, with a trailer dolly, or tractor. I like the Big Tex models and the Sure Trac. Some trailers are painted, some are powder coated. Some have wire mesh beds, some use pressure treated.

Lighting, some are bulbs, some use LD. I think tie downs are important to. Various models are all differant. Tailgates, some flip forward, some can be removed, some are spring assist. Size of trailer, well there are to many to list, I don't want to big nor to small. IMHO, 6x12 works for me.

Anyway, I haven't bought one yet, it is a sizeable investment, something that will be used. So I would like to hear what you guys have and why you like it or don't. This will help me and maybe others make a better decision when buying a trailer. Also price, do you feel you got what you paid for?

As always, thanks for your comments.

Glenn     :wh:

19richie66

I have a 5x10 Big Tex. I love it. Just wide enough for what I have and long enough I might be able to pack two tractors, depending on models. I just happened upon it on craigslist. Got it for half of what the guy paid new for it and it was only a year old. Guy moved and got married and his wife had a bigger trailer than he did. Wish I could have got a 5x12 but beggars can't be choosers. No wider than the car and pulls like a dream. I like the pipe top rail on the big tex trailers as it is easy on straps. I am going to add more tie down points soon as that's my only complaint with it.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

82Caddy

I use a 18ft dovetail 7k lb car trailer and a 1 ton crew cab long box truck. It's overkill and I know it but that's how it works. 

Bought the trailer second hand off Craigslist. Seller was an implement dealer that only used it for two fairs before realizing he needed a bigger trailer. Paid 1800$ and it was as new as new gets without being new. Worth every penny I paid considering it gets used weekly if not more often. 

I added a winch and some additional tie downs.  

• Like 1

Sparky

I have a Big-Tex 6x12. I think it's the perfect size as it'll hold 4 "C" series machines nicely.

If I had it to do over again I would still buy a 6x12 but would opt for an aluminum trailer over steel. Mine has rusty areas all over and I've already replaced one fender because of rust.

Mike....

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

I have a Forest River 5 x 8 steel cargo trailer with treated lumber bottom and a drop ramp. Works great for one WH tractor. I got 15" wheels as an option - I think well worth the added $50. My only issue - I wish it had solid sides - not just 2' high rails. I think I will be adding sides shortly.

The mesh bottoms I have seen seem to be kinda flimsy and cheap - big box if you know what I mean...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
49 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I have a Big-Tex 6x12. I think it's the perfect size as it'll hold 4 "C" series machines nicely.

If I had it to do over again I would still buy a 6x12 but would opt for an aluminum trailer over steel. Mine has rusty areas all over and I've already replaced one fender because of rust.

Mike....

Mike, I have heard with aluminum the possibility of stress cracks. Just commenting is all. 

Thanks for comments so far guys. I never dreamed of how many trailer manufactures there are out there, hundreds. I like this thread, cause I am buying, getting knowledge before I plunk down the coin.

Glenn

squonk

I just got a 6 x 10 Lone Wolf of CL for $900. I wanted a trailer to hold 3 tractors sideways. I can do it with some jostling. I was looking at a 6.5 X 10 Big Tex which was nice. Would have been perfect but almost another $600. I didn't want longer due to limited space. It came with 6 D rings and I added 4 more. P.O. lathered some TSC Black Implement paint on it and got some on the wood floor but so what. I'm not going to a trailer show. I just got done putting some Thompsons on the floor and coated the underneath with truck bed liner spray.

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

Glenn, the trailer I had over to your place last year is a 6' X12".  It belongs to my neighbor, but I have borrowed it many times.  Its a single axle and just about perfect for our WH tractors.  I took it to Utica, NY several years ago to pick up a 520H, 48"deck, cab, and a two stage blower, that just about max it out for size.  150 miles each way and that trailer handled it with ease.  Not sure of the brand, but it is 15 years old and was a cheapy. 

• Like 1

N3PUY

Trailer?   What's a trailer?

I still use the Caravan.

Here's pics from yesterday.

IMG_0939 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0940 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0941 (800x600).jpg

• Like 4

KC9KAS

7' X 18' tandem axle "car hauler" (with brakes) and I use 3" wide ratchet straps to hold the horses in place!

• Like 1

Dennys502

I built my own so I could make it the way I wanted it. 18' with 3500 lb axles with electric brakes. I wanted something I could haul anything I have without worrying about it.

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

volt trailer.JPG

• Like 6

SylvanLakeWH
2 hours ago, N3PUY said:

I still use the Caravan.

IMG_0939 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0940 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0941 (800x600).jpg

My eyes, my eyes....!!!! What color is that thing!!!!!?????

The Horror...The Horror...

:ychain:

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
6 hours ago, N3PUY said:

I still use the Caravan.

IMG_0939 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0940 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0941 (800x600).jpg

I always liked that idea, maybe cause I have a 09 town and country, same thing. But I felt my mrs. would burn me and ban me to the couch for the longest time. Lol

Glenn

• Like 1

N3PUY
23 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

My eyes, my eyes....!!!! What color is that thing!!!!!?????

The Horror...The Horror...

:ychain:

The Caravan?  Well the van is silver!  Why do you ask? :P

Oh!............  you mean the tractor!  :rolleyes:

The color of the tractor is "FREE"!   That's one color you can't pass up!  ;)

• Like 5

T-Mo

6 x 12 with dove tail, 3 foot ramp gate that folds forward onto the trailer bed.  I had a 6 x 14 with a 5 foot ramp gate that wouldn't fold forward into the trailer bed.  Keep in mind the mesh on the ramp gate can and will eat into your gas mileage as catches the wind.

2016-10-08 07.41.27.jpg

2016-09-10 13.05.40.jpg

2016-09-10 13.05.15.jpg

2016-09-10 13.05.30.jpg

2016-09-16 16.47.05.jpg

2016-09-16 16.47.36.jpg

Tilt trailers are okay, but be careful how you load them.  Too much weight rear of the axle and it will fish tail to the point of being dangerous.  That could be said of all trailers,but since tilt trailers have their axles virtually mid point, it's easier to load them improperly.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Terry, I like the goodie box in the front, did you add that?  Yes, A few have the flip forward gate. I thought about that drag.

Glenn

CasualObserver

I opted for the bi-fold gate to cut drag. Has the added benefit of not having to look through the gate whether or not the trailer is full. 6.5x14 ft PJ Trailer. The 14' length lets me carry four tractors with some attachments mounted if i want.

20160825_123740.jpg

20141115_104712.jpg

20141115_115233-1-1.jpg

• Like 6

oliver2-44

Before you finalize a trailer purchase, hook it to you vehicle and back it up a few times,  

Some trailers back nicely and some seem to want to jacknife quickly.  It seems to me if the tongue is short it's harder to backup!.  

before you lay h

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Here's the trailer I use to haul my tractors on...6.5' wide by 9' long. It started life as a tilt bed and was in ROUGH shape when I got it. With the small tires set under the deck it sets way too high to safely load a tractor using the tilt bed...that is also why the endgate is so tall...which as Terry said earlier does pose a wind drag problem. But the price was right...got the existing trailer for free as well as the wood for the deck floor...I've got roughly $300 dollars in materials to beef up the frame, build the side rails and the tailgate. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Jason / casual, let me ask you something, do I notice that the front sideboards can be pulled out and they are a set of Ramps? Not that is something I didn't see before. Plus, that fold in half rear gate, is that 4 Foot? Works Good? Interesting. I can't find that near me.

Glenn

T-Mo
7 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Before you finalize a trailer purchase, hook it to you vehicle and back it up a few times,  

Some trailers back nicely and some seem to want to jacknife quickly.  It seems to me if the tongue is short it's harder to backup!.  

Actually there is a reason why some trailers will jack knife easier than others.  The longer the distance from your tow vehicle's rear axle to the front axle of your trailer, the easier it is to back up.  So, smaller trailers are harder to back up since that distance is minimized, while a longer trailer will be easier to back up since that distance is longer.  It's all about geometry.

7 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Terry, I like the goodie box in the front, did you add that?  Yes, A few have the flip forward gate. I thought about that drag.

Glenn

Glenn, I got that little tool box from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/35-inch-steel-trailer-tongue-box-66244.html

• Like 2

Ken B

I'm not sure whether it was mentioned or not but If I were looking for a new trailer the one thing I would make sure of is that it is powder coated. Paint gets easily nicked up and scratched. If you ever have to use your trailer in the winter and they have sprayed any of that calcium garbage on the roads you won't believe how fast it will rust. Ask me how I know.... 6x12 is a real good size, I'd want at least a 10 fter...

• Like 2

CasualObserver
10 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Jason / casual, let me ask you something, do I notice that the front sideboards can be pulled out and they are a set of Ramps?

Yes, those front sections are removable ramps (They were called an ATV side ramp option)  that can be used on either side for side loading something across the front of the trailer. And actually, all of my side rails are removable, so I could run a flat deck if I wanted to. I wanted this because it means that the trailer is built strong enough underneath not to have to rely on the side rails for stability.

10 hours ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

that fold in half rear gate, is that 4 Foot? Works Good? Interesting. I can't find that near me.

Yes, 4 foot gate. It works really well for me. I found the option while researching what I wanted to buy as a trailer. No dealers around me carried one for me to look at either, I had to order it.  I found two companies that had that option for the gate with local dealers. Load Trail and PJ Trailers. (I'm sure other makers around the country offer it, those were just the dealers I was choosing between)  

I actually ordered the Load Trail first... but when it came in, the dealer "forgot" to order the removable side rails, "forgot" to get my stake pocket spare tire carrier, "forgot" to change my paint code to gray like I wanted, "forgot" the diamond plate fenders and the powdercoat was scratched down to shiny bare metal on the painted fenders from another trailer rubbing it on the delivery semi. Essentially he forgot the entire order except for the bi-fold gate. The dealer wasn't going to do anything for these mistakes, so I "forgot" I ordered it from him and it didn't come home with me. Shame too, because the bi-fold gate on the Load Trail will lock in the up position, which the PJ does not. (or didn't when I got it about 3 years ago)

So I went to my backup the PJ. Got it ordered exactly like I asked, and $400 less than I was going to have to pay for the Load Trail that wasn't made how I really wanted it.  I am very happy with it. It pulls nicely, the length has fit my needs nicely. The only modification I've had to make is on the bi-fold. I had to drill two small weep holes. Since my trailer currently has to sit outside in the weather the square tube frame that makes up the end of the ramp gate was catching water/snow and would dump rusty brown water out when I flipped it up. Drilled a weep hole on each side for drainage and haven't had a problem since.

Here's another pic of it fully loaded... (poorly by the way... I had too much on the tail)  I had just arrived home from the Pioneer Power show a few weeks ago.

20160828_193031.jpg

And in this one you can see that stake pocket spare tire carrier on the other side. The easily removable spare tire means I can take it indoors in the winter when I'm not usually pulling the trailer. 

And the removable sides just ride in pockets. They're bolted in from the bottom.

20160827_145946.jpg

• Like 4

tunahead72
16 hours ago, CasualObserver said:

I opted for the bi-fold gate to cut drag. Has the added benefit of not having to look through the gate whether or not the trailer is full.

20141115_115233-1-1.jpg

I like that!  It also means you don't space out and forget that you're pulling a trailer, and gives you a visual point of reference when you're backing it up.  I just finished a 700-mile trip this past weekend, with my ramp removed so I could carry a long ladder.  I'm fairly short, and I found it very difficult to back it up because I couldn't see the rear corners of the trailer without a lot of extra effort.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

18 hours ago,  oliver2-44 said: 

T-MO's right:

Actually there is a reason why some trailers will jack knife easier than others.  The longer the distance from your tow vehicle's rear axle to the front axle of your trailer, the easier it is to back up.  So, smaller trailers are harder to back up since that distance is minimized, while a longer trailer will be easier to back up since that distance is longer.  It's all about geometry.

ANOTHER REASON I HATE MATH... :)

• Like 1