bmsgaffer

Project 525EXI - 25HP Fuel Injection Repower

bmsgaffer

Big step today, started placing the engine!

Everything fit quite nicely except for the high pressure fuel pump, which cleared the top part of the frame rail, but hit the bottom curved portion. I have removed the pump bracket and will mount it on a plate off the top crossbar for the engine compartment. Luckily there is plenty of room behind the side covers on these engine compartments (I am assuming left room for water cooled kawi and diesel) and the pump should fit behind no problem. I will only have to shorten up some fuel lines. 

It worked out for the better anyway as I realized that because of its sunken position, with the fuel pump in its original place I would have never been able to reach the engine mounting bolts. 

I did also have to move the front part of the oil cooler up about 1/2" so that it would clear the top of the frame rail. I may have to do something with the feeder fuel line where it comes through the firewall, it is very close to the oil cooler and I don't want it to get too hot or kink right there.

That's as far as I could get tonight, but here's to hoping there is no other major hiccups! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

2016-10-26 22.49.51.jpg

2016-10-26 22.50.39.jpg

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Brandon, did you think of relocating, I think, the voltage regulator low down on the left side attached to the shroud? I know for the CH to access it you need to loosen the engine mounting.

bmsgaffer

I did contemplate it, my concern was cooling. They stick that regulator right in the shroud with a decent heatsink. It looks terrible to replace stuck down below the frame rails. 

I will have to see if there is a remote mounted version with a larger heatsink or at least a surface to mount a heatsink on, as it sees quite a bit of airflow where it is now.

My original thoughts were: well I have to pull the engine to clean the shrouds anyway every few hundred hours or so, I will just replace the regulator whenever I am in there. If it dies before then, then I will just clean the shrouds sooner... :lol:

That is the one thing that is really difficult with these xi's, they make them really serviceable (how easy the fenders and sides come off and even with the removable top crossbar in the engine bay!) but then they drop this engine all the way down in between the frame rails with no lower access points for anything! Oh well, still better design than most I have come across...

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

It's ALIVE! And sorry, I don't have video yet. I took it for a spin last night in the dark. That 25HP doesn't even flinch when tooling around at full speed, and smoooooth. 

2016-11-28_21_30_45.jpg

I was able to get everything hooked up and working. Had to notch the chassis where the high pressure fuel pump sits. I also was able to make a wiring adapter for the connection that allowed me to not have to modify the tractor or the engine wiring. The disadvantage of this is that because of the way the XI ignition switch works I had to replace it with an older style 103990 switch which means the headlights will be on all the time unless I put in an extra light switch. (I like the tractors setup this way better anyways, never liked the key-switch light control). 

2016-11-28_22_13_38.jpg

Also I may have to put in a small circuit for the oil pressure light/hour meter to make sure it works right with this engine. 

2016-11-28_21_32_22.jpg2016-11-28 21.32.58.jpg

I got the new tires mounted up and it looks mean!

On the to-do list:

• Finish work on the PTO spacer, not planning on needing this till spring
  • Sort wiring minor things (headlight switch, oil pressure/check engine light)
  • Small normal issues (neutral setting on hydro, one on my new axle oil seals is still leaking)
  • Fix the lingering attachment lift issues from when I purchased it
  • Make the exhaust come out the hole on the right, fit shields
  • Polish, polish, polish.
Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 7

19richie66

Brandon, that looks fantastic(and factory installed too). great job.

• Like 2

fatboycowen

So awesome. I hope you'll consider posting a video of that beast running! 

What's an engine like that go for? I can't say I'm not tempted.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer
6 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Brandon, that looks fantastic(and factory installed too). great job.

Thank you! I cant take that much credit though, the engine is almost a drop in. I had to study lots of parts and drawings and buy some off the shelf parts with some minor adaptation. (Don't look at the hole I cut in the chassis, that does NOT look factory :lol:. )

4 hours ago, fatboycowen said:

So awesome. I hope you'll consider posting a video of that beast running! 

What's an engine like that go for? I can't say I'm not tempted.

Absolutely! I will get it together a bit more and take a good video of it. Lets just say that I got the tractor for such a good deal I felt I could pay a bit for the engine... ;)

Sarge

Wow , that engine looks like a great candidate for a D series .....hmm

Sarge

bmsgaffer

Sorry about the pops and cracks at the beginning of these, one microphone going out on my phone. 

First Run:

Cold Start and Test Drive:

WARNING: Bad videography - The test drive may make you dizzy. The only good video is at the beginning, then the rest is just for the sound of the sweet ECH730 humming along :lol:

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 6

WVHillbilly520H

Brandon good job well done, got a little dizzy on the second video with POV driving lol,Jeff.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Sorry about that! It wasn't even good POV as I had you pointing at the ground, looking up would have probably been better! 

The only good view is at the beginning, the rest is mostly for the sound... I should add a warning. 

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

bmsgaffer

I think the long cranking at the beginning (cold start) is due to my fuel line route causing it to have a hard time keeping fuel up at the mechanical lift pump. I believe It also waits for the oil pressure to build up a bit. 

I may solve it with an electric pump back by the tank, but I am not certain yet. It seems to run great otherwise, so I may just deal with it. 

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Brandon, does the EFI engine use a choke? I noticed that the handle was full-on.

I'm impressed and having a conversion like this will add to the longevity of the 5xi  series. You will like your choice in tires.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

John, there is no choke on the EFI engine, its just disconnected and one of the boys must have left it all the way up.

Does the DXI have a different dash panel or is there just no choke lever in it? I may have to try to track one down somewhere to clean things up a bit.

I already like those tires. I can walk straight up a wet-grass hill without any sign of slip. I am hoping with enough weight that I can run without chains this winter. We shall see on that though, I have a somewhat steep driveway. 

shallowwatersailor

19 minutes ago, bmsgaffer said:

John, there is no choke on the EFI engine, its just disconnected and one of the boys must have left it all the way up.

Does the DXI have a different dash panel or is there just no choke lever in it? I may have to try to track one down somewhere to clean things up a bit.

I already like those tires. I can walk straight up a wet-grass hill without any sign of slip. I am hoping with enough weight that I can run without chains this winter. We shall see on that though, I have a somewhat steep driveway. 

I know what you mean about "cleaning" things up. The Dxi only has the throttle slot on the dash so would work. I'm not sure how expensive it would be plus the hassle of putting it on though.

I had the Kenda's on at the end of the snow season and I do a neighbor's driveway that is fairly steep. I used the 518xi with the snowblade and just four suitcase weights on back. It did it without a problem.

bmsgaffer

Well I will keep my eye out for one, as I have lots of things I will want to adjust (add a 'check engine" light) and I want to modify all the warning lights to LED's so I can take my time and then do a dash swap later when its time for a new steering wheel boot. 

I also have to figure out why the oil temp dash sensor doesn't work. I got a good used sensor but something still not working on the dash. 

Lots of little not-important things I will work out of just in time to have to drop a new transmission in in another 1000 hours or so :lol:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Coming along very nice.

Glenn

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I have had a bit of a jump in progress. One of my biggest hangups was the exhaust. The EFI muffler needed a little tail welded to it to get the exhaust out the hole in the side panel so I could put the hood back on.

58d894795edfc_2017-01-1223_04_13.thumb.jpg.a30ef8db9ec0e41f15a67ddf89c73951.jpg58d894841b3d7_2017-01-1223_04_23.thumb.jpg.5ea3dfb9d718dfc83a4f6358ffcaf25f.jpg

Finally got all that welded on and painted and exhaust wrapped. I used a different ignition switch as the one that came on it was flaky. This one doesnt have a position for lights, so they stay on all the time. I will add a separate switch for them later as that is how I like it better anyway. I also installed a digital hour meter/ tach for quick reference for service intervals monitoring.

2017-03-21_18_06_32.thumb.jpg.f2a18e72041d70968f1405817f0ed3fc.jpg2017-03-21_18_06_42.thumb.jpg.8008441793689f4e0ee0e61fdd1303f9.jpg58d894b01e2e4_2017-03-2118_06_57.thumb.jpg.e68223a55db23162efb371e1b7a9c271.jpg58d894bd8f356_2017-03-2118_07_25.thumb.jpg.3163e615ae209dc6840807bfe9f63ba8.jpg

Still left on my to do:

• Make a new PTO spacer that is keyed and has flat sides to put a wrench on when working on pto. 
  • Headlight switch
  • Check engine light wiring is a bit different than the oil pressure switch was. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

Looks great! 

• Like 1

Super-C 4 me

Very nice project