seven

Cost of rebuilding a 520 H

seven

Found a pretty cheap 520 just that it burns oil and probably needs a new upper end rebuild what's this going to cost if I do it myself?

rmaynard

I don't know how much you can do yourself, but most engine work costs are based heavily on what you have available as far as a good reliable machine shop. Most oil burners are going to need at the least rings, and a cylinder honing. If the rings are worn, chances are there are other areas in need of work as well. The Onan P-220 is notorious for burning up the rear exhaust valve seats if the cooling fins have been neglected.

I'm afraid I can't be of much help you with costs until you know exactly what needs to be done.

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

:text-yeahthat: ,,, it's tough getting parts. And until it's apart, it's unknown.

Glenn

• Like 3

cleat

If you get it cheap enough and the rest of the tractor is good then I would pick it up.

You can then try and find another 520 with other issues for the engine or even a 416 and swap the engine.

One of my 520's has a 16HP engine on it and I can barely tell the difference.

You can even pick up a Kohler engine for it.

• Like 9

GMan

Seven,

As has already been stated, you cannot really know until you tear it down to see what the engine condition is. This needs to be done to measure the engine to see if it is within specification and not requiring machine work to clean up the bores or to repair valve seats, or to replace cam bearings, etc. Assuming the engine is within specification minimally you would want to not only re-ring it but you would want to decarbon everything while you have the heads off, lap the valves and seats, lap the heads, hone the cylinder walls, replace the intake valve seals, replace the oil filter mounting bracket gasket, reseal the dipstick tube. Doing this you could conceivably spend $200 in parts. Doing this work without measuring out the engine is a crap shoot at best. You might get lucky and you might bolt it all back up and have it start up and run only to find there are other issues that should have been addressed while you had the engine apart.................Hope this helps..............Gary

• Like 1

Forest Road

If the rest of the tractor is in good shape it's probably far less expensive to drop a Honda twin in there. 

DennisThornton
10 hours ago, cleat said:

If you get it cheap enough and the rest of the tractor is good then I would pick it up.

You can then try and find another 520 with other issues for the engine or even a 416 and swap the engine.

One of my 520's has a 16HP engine on it and I can barely tell the difference.

You can even pick up a Kohler engine for it.

I know deep down that bigger is better but gosh there's times that I just can't tell it!  I got big horse power WHs and others but my little 8hp WHs are real workhorses!  I keep hoping that folks that aren't looking to blow snow don't pass up smaller hp WH thinking they won't get the job done.  Baloney!  And they just sip the gas!  Today's box store 24 HP riding lawnmowers don't impress me at all!

Cleat, it pleased me to here you admit that you "can barely tell the difference."!  It will be our secret!  I won't tell anybody else.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I bought a 416H with an Onan and thought a bit because the Onans do seem to have a reputation of being pricey to rebuild or do anything with when it comes to parts.  Bought it anyways!  Mostly I can only pass on what others have said or already noted here in this thread.  The Onans may not have been the best choice for lawn mowers due to grass clippings clogging up, but otherwise great engines.  Then again, if you only need a reringing then you stand a chance of having the highest HP "Classic WH" ever made for a reasonable price.  But you will have some time and still some $$$ invested, but a very nice machine in the end that you couldn't even think about buying new for anywhere near the price!

I have no doubt that Wheel Horses are the best bang or the buck, the best value and come with more new parts and used attachments and more support than ANY other brand garden tractor!  

Heck!  If it wasn't for:

Simplicity, Deutz Allis, Massey Ferguson, AGCO Allis

Ariens

Bolens

Case

Sears/Roper Suburbans

Cub

Gilson

Economy/Power King

John Deere

and I'm sure something I've left out, I wouldn't even consider another brand!  

Seriously, some great tractors in that list but I think that overall, all things considered, Wheel Horse is the best investment in Garden Tractors!  Today, yesterday and perhaps decades to come!

Oh!  If I was unclear, BUY the 520!  Within the WH world I suppose you could pay too much, but compared to other brands maybe not...

• Like 2

GMan

Seven,

I forgot to mention in my post above that I have a '95 model 520H in my shop right now that I bought reasonable enough that needs the exact same thing as the one you have found. I will not hesitate to tear into it and repair it as required. Those Onans are an amazing engine when they are brought back to proper running condition. I have done this to no less than a dozen Onan's. The only ones I won't fool withare the early 16 HP (B43E) that did not have an oil filter employed. Most I have rebuilt have been in JD's, but I've been bitten by the Wheel Horse 520 bug! The last Onan I rebuilt was a 20HP that needed a loose valve seat replacement too. I hired that work done and had that same shop grind the valves and seats. Including that machine work I still had less than $500.00 invested and that is one heck of an engine now that has that famous Onan "growl" when under load and sounds amazing at idle. I intend to begin the engine build on this tractor within the next week or two. I also have another 520HC tractor that is a little rough compared to the one mentioned above but it will get the same treatment in time. I believe these tractor's are worth saving and I certainly am not afraid of these Onan engines! I have by far found more of these engines easily repairable than those that were not. I started collecting Onan parts several years ago now and have quite a stock of good useable parts with which to do my repairs and generally plan on replacing cam bearings and valve springs on principle. I also rebuild oil pumps on each build along with replacing all gaskets and crankshaft seals..............................Gary

Edited by GMan
added verbaige
  • Like 5

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, GMan said:

Seven,

I forgot to mention in my post above that I have a '95 model 520H in my shop right now that I bought reasonable enough that needs the exact same thing as the one you have found. I will not hesitate to tear into it and repair it as required. Those Onans are an amazing engine when they are brought back to proper running condition. I have done this to no less than a dozen Onan's. Most have been in JD's. But I been bitten by the Wheel Horse 520 bug! The last I rebuilt was a 20HP that needed a loose valve seat replacement too. I hired that work done and had that same shop grind the valves and seats. Including that machine work I still had less than $500.00 invested and that is one heck of an engine now that has that famous Onan "growl" when under load and sounds amazing at idle. I intend to begin the engine build on this tractor within the next week or two. I also have another 520HC tractor that is a little rough compared to the one mentioned here but it will get the same treatment in time. I believe these tractor's are worth saving and I certainly am not afraid of these Onan engines! I have by far found more of these engines easily repairable than those that were not. I started collecting Onan parts several years ago now and have quite a stock of good useable parts with which to do my repairs and generally plan on replacing cam bearings and valve springs on principle. I also rebuild oil pumps on each build along with replacing all gaskets and crankshaft seals..............................Gary

Gary, this is the kind of comments that make this site SO valuable!  First hand, down to earth, honest trying to help info!  Not just agreeing or disagreeing but some details!  My 416H just needs a trigger and I hope nothing else for the rest of it's life but it's comforting to know that folks are still repairing the venerable Onans still can perform with some effort.

Thanks for joining in!

• Like 3

GMan

Dennis,

Do you mean by "trigger" the ignition module and rotor behind the flywheel? I have replaced them too. Piece of cake, but pricey to buy new as both components should be replaced at the same time. Easy to check them out eelectrically too. I bought an engine once that supposedly needed these items replaced and I tore it down to find that the special key that holds the alignment of the rotor in position with the crankshaft for valve timing was sheared. I replaced that key, decarboned the engine and lapped the valves in and replaced the valve seals while I had it down, and the engine fired right up and ran very well. Ended up being a very inexspensive yet very good running engine.

I think these Onan's have gotten a bad rapp by those who perpetuate the high cost of repair. I would venture to say that Onan parts are no more expensive than OEM Kohler parts these days. Onanparts.com has most any parts needed and so does Boomer up in Minnesota. Although I am sympathetic to those who do not have the ability to do the rebuild work necessary themselves as they are at the mercy of others and in that position cost can rise to the area of a repower.

I guess I am old school and have a passion for keeping any machine regardless of what it is as OEM as possible. Does that make me a dinasour? I better quit ranting as I am old enough to be one! .................................Gary

Edited by GMan
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, GMan said:

Dennis,

Do you mean by "trigger" the ignition module and rotor behind the flywheel? I have replaced them too. Piece of cake, but pricey to buy new as both components should be replaced at the same time. Easy to check them out eelectrically too. I bought an engine once that supposedly needed these items replaced and I tore it down to find that the special key that holds the alignment of the rotor in position with the crankshaft for valve timing was sheared. I replaced that key, decarboned the engine and lapped the valves in and replaced the valve seals while I had it down, and the engine fired right up and ran very well. Ended up being a very inexspensive yet very good running engine.

I think these Onan's have gotten a bad rapp by those who perpetuate the high cost of repair. I would venture to say that Onan parts are no more expensive that OEM Kohler parts these days. Onanparts,com has most any parts needed and so does Boomer up in Minnesota. Although I am sympathetic to those who do not have the ability to do the rebuild work necessary themselves as they are at the mercy of others and in that position cost can rise to the area of a repower.

I guess I am old school and have a passion for keeping any machine regardless of what it is as OEM as possible. Does that make me a dinasour? I better quit ranting as I am old enough to be one! .................................Gary

Yes!  And honestly, I forget what the heck I bought...   Just the trigger I think but I guess I'll remember when I get around to installing it! :lol:   Obviously I'm not scared off by "Onan"s but frankly I am more comfortable with Kohlers.  Experience I suppose with limited exposure to Onans, but I'm proud to own this one and I will for sure keep an eye out for a 520!  Classic that is!  

Side note!  Why in the world did Wheel Horse decide to call the completely different XIs 5xx?  Perhaps the dumbest thing WH ever did!  6xx perhaps, but why 5xx?  Dumb, dumb dumb!  Another thread I think...

bmsgaffer

I have a P220 for sale that has low hours if you want to do a direct swap. I think Fastenal should be able to ship it cheaply. Shoot me a PM if you are interested. 

onanparts.com
On 10/3/2016 at 5:02 AM, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

:text-yeahthat: ,,, it's tough getting parts. And until it's apart, it's unknown.

Glenn

Strongly disagree on the "It's tough getting parts" statement. Agree 100% on the "And until it's apart, it's unknown".

Now that bit about it's tough getting parts? Locally that could be very true. Online however there are many sources for Onan parts. They say a picture is worth a thousand words? OK, here is a pic along with a few words...:)

A 166-0785 Electronic ignition module, used from 1986-2004. Packaged on August 26th 2016. A 149-1982 fuel pump used from the late 70's up to the late 90's. Packaged on August 30th 2016.  A 166-0772 coil used on breaker point ignitions from the early 70's through the mid 80's. Packaged on September 16th 2016, and a 191-2227 voltage regulator used from the 1970's through 2004. Packaged on September 21st 2016, barely 2 weeks ago.

Onan stopped making engines back in 2004, but they never stopped making spare parts. :) The Onan engines were engineered and designed to be rebuildable and to last for many many years offering dependable service. Almost any small engine made today is "disposable" as it's not cost effective to make it last and or be rebuildable. :(

If you want to be happy for a day, Drink! If you want to be happy for a year, Repower. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Rebuild/Overhaul an Onan!

Onan2016.jpg

• Like 3