Junkers88

New B-80 owner, hauled one out of a field for $80 and have some questions

TGaruti

Not sure where you are located but I have a B80 mid 70's for parts there is no motor but  ignition and wiring is there.  It has a mowing deck , if you are interested in any parts let me know.  For small stuff that won't fit my c81 or my c101 you can have it free just pay shipping charges.  

Thanks.  Tom

• Like 3

Junkers88

Quick update on our little Horse. So far so good. In talking to HD-Horse on here via PM I've been able to diagnose and eliminate most problems. The starter was hung but fixed itself today. We're not getting adequate fuel for it to run more than a couple of seconds so I'm replacing the little fuel line between the carb and fuel pump, no idea why I didn't do that before. If that fixes the running problem then all that's left is a tube for the rear tire and we're mowing. I do need to get a new spark plug and probably some points for it but I'm determined to find and fix one problem at a time.

Thank you all for the help and support!

Richard.

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Rich, your doing fine, keep it up.

Glenn

• Like 1

Junkers88
Just now, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Rich, your doing fine, keep it up.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn. I very surprised that I've only run into a few routine issues with this tractor. Considering it's 40+ years old I'm impressed.

Richard.

• Like 1

Junkers88
15 hours ago, TGaruti said:

Not sure where you are located but I have a B80 mid 70's for parts there is no motor but  ignition and wiring is there.  It has a mowing deck , if you are interested in any parts let me know.  For small stuff that won't fit my c81 or my c101 you can have it free just pay shipping charges.  

Thanks.  Tom

I just saw this post Tom sorry for the delayed reply. So far I don't need anything major that I can't find here but thank you greatly for the offer. I'll for sure keep you in mind if things get catastrophic in the near future. :)

Richard.

Junkers88

It lives!!! Just about the time I was scratching my head in confusion HD-Horse called me and walked me through finding where the points were located and how to clean/gap them. Then he advised I bypass the fuel pump and gravity feed direct to the carb. As soon as I got those two things done I hit the key and fired her up. Just a couple little things left do do. I'm looking to order a new fuel pump for it but it acts like I'll be able to move it around and possibly mow with just the gravity feed.

Richard.

• Like 6

Texas Todd

:banana-rock:

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

You Texans stick together, but there's nothing stronger than wheel horse Texans. Wheel horse is powerfull glue.        :wh:

Glenn

• Like 3

JimmyJam

Great news to here that the ol' B-80 horse is alive and kickin'! I also have several extra B-80 parts and a 1976 B-80 8-spd parts tractor (no motor but strong tranny) if you are ever in the need of parts.

• Like 1

Junkers88
9 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

Great news to here that the ol' B-80 horse is alive and kickin'! I also have several extra B-80 parts and a 1976 B-80 8-spd parts tractor (no motor but strong tranny) if you are ever in the need of parts.

Thanks Jimmy. I'll dig into the transmission if I still hear the odd noises after I get it full of new fluid. Man that 140wt gear oil is thick stuff.

Richard.

Junkers88

Might not be the right area to say this but the B-80 is free to take if you can come get it. Uncle Sam has let me know that I'm moving and the tractor is still sitting as I've had no time to work on it . I don't want to leave it on the property as a "yard gnome" or haul it to the scrap yard. Internet here is now sketchy so text at 505-508-7609. Please don't let this old horse die where she sits. If I have to I'll haul her to Austin to my new home and place her on the front lawn to piss off the HOA reps. I refuse to let her lay here and rust to death.

She's currently at 201 Encino Torcido, Adkins Texas 78101.

Richard.

• Haha 1

Jim Demery
On 10/3/2016 at 0:06 AM, Junkers88 said:

Hey folks, Richard here out of Adkins Texas.

I answered a Craigslist ad for a "lawn tractor, 100$" and it turned out to be a B-80 Wheel horse. I actually stumbled onto this site while trying to find out information on what a Wheel Horse was. So for $80 I pushed this one onto the trailer after the owner nicely sprayed some penetrating oil into the spark plug hole and turned it over with a set of jumper cables. I figured if it turned over $80 was a good enough deal for me. History on the tractor from the gentleman that sold it is that it was bought new in the mid 70's by a local school district  to mow the ball fields and drag the infield dirt. After it was retired one of the school grounds guys (the owners father in law) bought it from the school to restore it and use it. It sat in a barn for 15+ years and then was moved out to the pasture for a few more and that's when I bought it. Got it home and started looking into getting it running and was able to start it and keep it running within about an hour using starting fluid. I had to replace the solenoid and fuel line as well as buy a battery for it. Had some leaks in the carb so I pulled the bowl and got the float unstuck and the leak stopped.

This is where I'm at now. The ignition switch worked about a dozen times and then just quit. I cleaned the contacts to no avail and will need to replace it if I can find a factory part to put in there. Also the tractor will start and run with the PTO engaged but otherwise it will start and low low idle for about 7 seconds and then quit. Sounds to me like the carb needs to be rebuilt but to be honest I've never rebuilt one so I don't know what it entails, can't be too complicated though. It does need tires. I greased all the zerk fittings and checked all the fluids and will need to put some into the rear end. The deck spins nicely and looks to be newer as the paint isn't faded or too badly scratched and all the blades look either new or wilt little use.

Any advice or help on the tractor would be appreciated. We need one to work the family garden this spring and mow an acre of coastal grass that we have around the place.

Thank you in advance.

Richard.

B-80.jpg

B-80, 2.jpg

That has the high-low transmission so it was made from 75-77 I believe. The carb on that 8hp Kohler is a piece of cake to rebuild and you can get a kit for it at your local Napa Auto Parts. There's several videos on YouTube that'll walk you through it also. Hope this helps you and good luck with the ole girl.