Firecop119

520H Snowblower

Firecop119

Hello all I'm new to the forum and I caught the WH bug bad. I have a real nice 1993 520H and a C 161. I'm looking for some help in locating a 2 stage snowblower for the 520 anywhere in my general vicinity. Any help would be great. Thanks

• Like 1

Jerry77

Go to the classified section at the top of the home page - it will take you to the for sale and wanted items - :)  various items come up on those sites...

• Like 1

roadapples

:WRS:

Jerry77
6 hours ago, Firecop119 said:

2 stage snowblower for the 520 anywhere in my general vicinity

You may have a problem with buying what you want in your general vicinity - I can recommend Fastenal for shipping. I recently purchased a full Eaton 1100 transaxle and had it shipped from Richmond Va. to Bloomington Ind. for $125.  Weight - about 180 pounds...probably heavier than a 2 stage blower...No one likes to pay freight charges, but the other freight companies all wanted around $300 for the trip...made the purchase possible for me...just sayin...:)  :text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

Firecop119

Thanks for the heads up on shipping. Might come in handy. Hoping since being so far north I might get lucky

Walt

Welcome to Red Square

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
6 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

You may have a problem with buying what you want in your general vicinity - I can recommend Fastenal for shipping. I recently purchased a full Eaton 1100 transaxle and had it shipped from Richmond Va. to Bloomington Ind. for $125.  Weight - about 180 pounds...probably heavier than a 2 stage blower...No one likes to pay freight charges, but the other freight companies all wanted around $300 for the trip...made the purchase possible for me...just sayin...:)  :text-welcomeconfetti:

JERRY, I am pretty sure the 2 stage is over 300 pounds, but good shipping info non the less.

Glenn

• Like 1

roadapples
6 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

I recently purchased a full Eaton 1100 transaxle and had it shipped from Richmond Va. to Bloomington Ind. for $125.  Weight - about 180 pounds...probably heavier than a 2 stage blower...

I hate to rain on your parade, but I think a 2 stage blower is in the neighborhood of 380 lbs. Hope you can find one close to home....Glenn types faster than me....

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
12 hours ago, Firecop119 said:

Hello all I'm new to the forum and I caught the WH bug bad. I have a real nice 1993 520H and a C 161. I'm looking for some help in locating a 2 stage snowblower for the 520 anywhere in my general vicinity. Any help would be great. Thanks

Welcome to :wh:      :text-welcomeconfetti:   don't be a stranger and good luck on your journey.

Keep uship in mind to.

Glenn

• Like 1

Jerry77
7 hours ago, roadapples said:

I hate to rain on your parade, but I think a 2 stage blower is in the neighborhood of 380 lbs.

Good Grief.........I didn't know that !.....shipping for that would be  ?   ...:(

Firecop119

Ya I'm thinking it would be astronomical 

MalMac

It may take some time to locate a 2 stage but they are out there, but don't cut yourself short in not looking at a single stage high chute. A single stage high chute will almost match a 2 stage. It might not do as good in the wet slushy stuff but it will move snow in a hurry and do a good job of it. I got tired of my 2 stage being around. It's as heavy as battleship anchor and a bear to move around and store. I switch back to a single and been happy ever since. 2 stages are nice and have their place. Just don't close your mine to a single tall or short chute. Ether way it's better than a shovel.

• Like 6

Walt
13 hours ago, MalMac said:

It may take some time to locate a 2 stage but they are out there, but don't cut yourself short in not looking at a single stage high chute. A single stage high chute will almost match a 2 stage. It might not do as good in the wet slushy stuff but it will move snow in a hurry and do a good job of it. I got tired of my 2 stage being around. It's as heavy as battleship anchor and a bear to move around and store. I switch back to a single and been happy ever since. 2 stages are nice and have their place. Just don't close your mine to a single tall or short chute. Ether way it's better than a shovel.

The sentence " It's as heavy as battleship anchor and a bear to move around and store." jumped out at me and I may have a idea you could use. Earlier this year I acquired the snow thrower I have been modifying over the summer. I had to move it around garage a couple of times to get it out of my way for other projects to flow though garage. One day I was kicking back in old office chair I use in garage for its comfort and ease of rolling around things I working on or to and from tools box. While setting there looking out I noticed a 4' x 8' pallet leaning against fence from something shipped here last spring I went to straighten my legs out to roll me into better position to view it. As my chair rolled looking at it I had the idea to make it a rolling cart for storing snow thrower and blade in summer. And I could store my mower deck on it in the winter. It also has been handy for holding tools and parts. Even the placement of the top and bottom slats (unplaced) keeps your beer from tipping while rolling it around. ;)  Today I had the Idea if I take a few of the 4' pieces of different sizes of lumber I keep around for build ups or stabilizing things while working on them that they could be laid out in such a way as to make a ramp. that would allow me to drive front wheels on them raising my thrower to point were I could roll the pallet under it and lower thrower right were I want to store it no lifting necessary. The pallet was free and the steel casters are available from Napa for somewhere between 20 and 30 dollars. I made mine 48" x 39" due to size of area I wanted it to fit when stored.   

IMG_0778.JPG

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
14 hours ago, MalMac said:

I have both, with the tall chute single besides being lighter/easier handling also cheap and ease of maintenance/repair versus the 2 stage, I recently bought and rebuilt/improved a 2stage and it really only does wet/heavy/plow banks better ,the single threw nearly as far and not as picky on what type of surface removing snow from,Jeff.   PS my solid stone guard in the first section of the chute does help push the exiting snow farther IMHO.

IMAG0528.jpg

IMAG1683.jpg

• Like 6

WNYPCRepair
On 10/1/2016 at 11:38 PM, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

JERRY, I am pretty sure the 2 stage is over 300 pounds, but good shipping info non the less.

Glenn

$125 to $175 seems to be Fastenal's magic number. They were going to ship a C195 from Ct to buffalo for $175, and every quote I have gotten fell in that price range

• Like 4

Forest Road

I own both single and dual stage blowers. Singles move snow faster. If you're out there during or right after storm single is way to go. In my case they're used at a vacation house and driveway is plowed. Have several areas to clear. Snow is usually setup and hard. Two stage eats right through it. 

If if you find a two stage expect to have rebuild it. Source some after market bearings for left and right auger support. 

Good luck! 

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
50 minutes ago, Forest Road said:

Source some after market bearings for left and right auger support.

Are you saying you replaced those weird bushing type things with actual bearings?

• Like 2

Forest Road

Wish I had. I've seen two blowers that it's been done to. Both w greasable bearings. Long term it's got to better than this throw away bushings. They're the same bushings Toro used on walk behind snow blowers. They're junk! 

• Like 2

Firecop119

Thanks everyone for all the tips and suggestions they have been great. I did find a 2-stage from a gentleman in Toledo and gave me a hell of a deal. I am going to see how it goes this winter with this one and keep a single stage in mind. 

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 9:35 PM, WNYPCRepair said:

Are you saying you replaced those weird bushing type things with actual bearings?

I could be wrong, but haven't some here done That? And found a grease able bearing to fit? Just seems familiar is all.

Glenn

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
22 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

I could be wrong, but haven't some here done That? And found a grease able bearing to fit? Just seems familiar is all.

Glenn

Probably. My memory is fading fast. :)

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
2 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Probably. My memory is fading fast. :)

Hey Brian, I was just looking to see if I could find the thread. As killer as the 2 stage is, they made it with some junk parts that wore out quickly. Kevin / Forest is smart on these. Be nice to find good replacement parts. Don't worry, at 64 my mind is shot to.

Glenn

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
28 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Hey Brian, I was just looking to see if I could find the thread. As killer as the 2 stage is, they made it with some junk parts that wore out quickly. Kevin / Forest is smart on these. Be nice to find good replacement parts. Don't worry, at 64 my mind is shot to.

Glenn

If I can find time, I'll measure my shaft and stop by Tractor Supply and see if anything off the shelf will fit.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
1 hour ago, WNYPCRepair said:

If I can find time, I'll measure my shaft and stop by Tractor Supply and see if anything off the shelf will fit.

BRIAN, when you get a chance read this, looks good.

Glenn

44" 2 Stage Rebuld and Modification - Implements and Attachments - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/32713-44-2-stage-rebuld-and-modification/#comment-281044
  • Like 2

WNYPCRepair
7 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

BRIAN, when you get a chance read this, looks good.

Glenn

44" 2 Stage Rebuld and Modification - Implements and Attachments - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/32713-44-2-stage-rebuld-and-modification/#comment-281044

That is a nice job. 

• Like 2