jrandyg

Toy's for toting our Toys

jrandyg

Hi all. This may be out of place but i'm looking to add an older truck to my toybox. Gotta have something neat to tool around it while looking for old tractors don't I? A 1984 C-10 shortbed with a 4.1 inline 6. Can anyone comment on 2 things. Buying something like this as an everyday driver and the reliability of this type of vehicle. Current owner says 100K miles.

I'd appreciate any advice. My want is overpowering my need. I need a truck. I don't need a truck like the one mentioned above.

953 nut
43 minutes ago, jrandyg said:

I need a truck. I don't need a truck like the one mentioned

If you can afford to buy it and do a complete power train, steering and brake system overhaul before you begin driving it daily;  go for it! This should provide you with as much reliability and comfort as a any truck, the kool factor is a bonus. :twocents-02cents:   If you try doing the work while you are driving it you will become frustrated.

Walt

It's a 33 year old truck you will have to work on it from time to time. Body becomes issue at that age cabs and boxes extremely hard to find. Mechanically they are easy to work on. Will have electronic ignition that's a plus, but not fuel injection so if carburetor challenged this could be an issue. Gm's straight 6 were a great little engine I owned a few vehicles over the years with them from early 60's cars to late 70's cars and trucks they leave plenty of room in engine compartment for servicing them. I would say if body is solid and if you had a back up for when you need to repair anything but no time it would come down to price.  I would drive it daily but then I enjoy repairing my 27 year old truck and it's only stranded me once when original distributor died in it's 20th year.   

Edited by Walt

ACman

If it's in decent shap , parts are plentiful and fairly cheap :) . I drove a 84 c10 short bed w/305 AT. Bought with over 125,000 miles , drove it four summers . Never let me down , and they ride so nice. I lucked out found a North Carolina truck with no rust on frame , cab , and front end . The bed is a different story . 

WVHillbilly520H

The 4.1L aka 250ci straight six has one big drawback in 1979/80 GM decided to cast the intake manifold intergral with the cylinder head very heavy and a real pain to service the head such as valve work, my dad had an '81 model when I was in high school and it became my auto tech project rebuilt the entire engine but myself then (at 90lbs soaking wet) it took me and a couple friends to get that head off the short block not to mention the poor engine stand, I'm not trying to sway your decision but just beware, that's why the Gen1 SBC is so much better/cheaper to work on/with, Jeff.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

My daily driver is an 80 C30 with the 292 inline 6 and 4 speed very dependable and super easy to work on

• Like 1

squonk

The only problem I see those 80's inline six's is that they had that Varijunk carburetor. Made engine performance rather anemic. If you can find an older 250 with a real carb you'd be happier

• Like 1

Ken B

I drive my 70 Chevy C 30 every day only because I enjoy driving it, I even drove it to the big show which is a 5 hr. ride one way.. I trust my truck to take me ANYWHERE at ANYTIME but I know the guy REAL well that works on it, ME. Older vehicles can be very reliable but if you plan to drive one every day its best if you have some skills so you don't need to bring it to a shop when it needs some love.. At the first sign of the state laying down calcium on the roads that is when my truck gets parked until spring and I start to drive my Grand Cherokee. My truck has never been driven thru a winter. With that said, I enjoying having my Grand Cherokee. There are those times when I need to go somewhere a few hrs. away and I need to get there quick, can't go too fast for an extended period of time in my truck that is for sure..  

20160621_131814_zps5k4illho.jpg

• Like 6

Walt

I love that body style had a 85 c 30 and of the 4 GM trucks I've had over last 40 years it was my favorite. Payed 425.00 for it and worked the piss out of it over 10 years the 350 4 bolt main engine is now in my 90 k1500.

26 minutes ago, Ken B said:

I drive my 70 Chevy C 30 every day only because I enjoy driving it, I even drove it to the big show which is a 5 hr. ride one way.. I trust my truck to take me ANYWHERE at ANYTIME but I know the guy REAL well that works on it, ME. Older vehicles can be very reliable but if you plan to drive one every day its best if you have some skills so you don't need to bring it to a shop when it needs some love.. At the first sign of the state laying down calcium on the roads that is when my truck gets parked until spring and I start to drive my Grand Cherokee. My truck has never been driven thru a winter. With that said, I enjoying having my Grand Cherokee. There are those times when I need to go somewhere a few hrs. away and I need to get there quick, can't go too fast for an extended period of time in my truck that is for sure..  

20160621_131814_zps5k4illho.jpg

I love that body style had a 85 c 30 and of the 4 GM trucks I've had over last 40 years it was my favorite. Payed 425.00 for it and worked the piss out of it over 10 years the 350 4 bolt main engine is now in my 90 k1500.

• Like 2

jrandyg

I have another question for ya'll. What about new fuel in older carbs and valves? Is there a way to meet somewhere in the middle? Can we enjoy the old rides and use today's fuels?

WVHillbilly520H

Try to use ONLY NON ETHANOL FUEL if you have access to it ,but if you can't dose it up with Seafoam or something similar (I use Berryman's B12 it's cheaper) or other ethanol fighting additives which is also a must with these small engines,the ethanol (alcohol) attracts moisture which leads to rust and other deposits in the fuel system and breaks down the older rubber lines and seals which causes more issues, that's the biggest problems, the valves since the introduction of unleaded fuels (1970?) are good to go with hardened seats so that's a non issue unless it is older production, Jeff.

DennisThornton
26 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Try to use ONLY NON ETHANOL FUEL if you have access to it ,but if you can't dose it up with Seafoam or something similar (I use Berryman's B12 it's cheaper) or other ethanol fighting additives which is also a must with these small engines,the ethanol (alcohol) attracts moisture which leads to rust and other deposits in the fuel system and breaks down the older rubber lines and seals which causes more issues, that's the biggest problems, the valves since the introduction of unleaded fuels (1970?) are good to go with hardened seats so that's a non issue unless it is older production, Jeff.

Lord I have reasons to hate enthanol fuels!  Love enthanol!  But not in small engine fuels!

jrandyg

Thanks Guys. Other than creature comforts, what's the difference, if a vehicle has 100K+ on the ticker. 2000(something) Canyon or similar vs. a early 90's to early 80's truck.

I'm trying to convince myself it's an OK buy and at the same time convince myself to play it safe with a newer vehicle. Is there a safe used vehicle bet though?

ClassicTractorProfessor

There really isn't any guarantee with any used vehicle...it's a 50/50 chance either way. When I bought my 80 C30 I paid $650 and the only thing I have done to her besides drive her is a complete tune-up (which is the first thing I do to any vehicle). On the other end of the spectrum, couple years ago I bought a 79 K20 that I had known and drove for the last ten yrs working for the owner every summer, paid $1000 for it thinking I was getting a good deal, drove it two weeks and transmission went out costing me another $1200. Another thing to look at is the cost of repairs, an older truck may have its problems from time to time, but they are much cheaper and easier to repair. With a little bit of mechanical know-how, one can pretty much perform any needed repairs on older vehicles. Good luck with whatever you decide on purchasing :handgestures-thumbupright:

Or you could always go even "older" LOL love the looks I get when I bring the old girl to town, especially from all the little kids who have never saw a truck this old. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

squonk

That hood weighs more than a Smart Car! :)

• Like 1

jrandyg

Displaying Attachment-1.jpeg

From the pics, very little if any rust. Owner says no rust. 4.1 inline 6 with TH350 trans. If I feel like hotrodding it a bit in the future I can always throw a small block at it. Trans would work without needing replacement. Paint is faded but i've studied and studied the pics. I can't find any rust bubbles at all. I did notice the cowl isn't mating up with the hood and windshield like it should though. I watch all the weekend TV car shows and I'm always a little nervous about whatever  the last guy may have done to the vehicle.

I'm thinking that as i've aged and mellowed so has my driving. I can baby it for a while until I gain confidence in its reliability.

Randy

Here's a thought.... Wheel Horse shop truck.

I have to keep it blue but I'd welcome any logo designs for the doors. Anyone...? I'm thinking a faded or weathered look.

wh500special
On October 4, 2016 at 6:03 AM, jrandyg said:

Thanks Guys. Other than creature comforts, what's the difference, if a vehicle has 100K+ on the ticker. 2000(something) Canyon or similar vs. a early 90's to early 80's truck.

I'm trying to convince myself it's an OK buy and at the same time convince myself to play it safe with a newer vehicle. Is there a safe used vehicle bet though?

Something that is easy to overlook is the safety aspect of modern vehicles compared to older ones.  Useful seatbelts, airbags, antilock brakes...plus generally better reliability, power, braking, and capability. 

They do lack charm though. Hard to argue that.  

This may or may not be important to you if the truck is for occasional use, but for a daily driver it might be something to keep in mind. 

I have a 1997 pickup that I bought new.  It's been maintained well and has had no accidents, but I don't trust it anymore despite the powertrain and running gear holding together well.  

Time has been less kind to the truck than miles.   It only has about 160k on it.  Plenty of rust and other weird problems from age.  Battery cables corroding, brake lines failing, rubber hoses cracking, dashboard plastic and headliner problems...nothing major but lots of annoyances. 

If I could justify a new one I'd replace it in a heartbeat.   But I don't use it enough anymore to warrant getting one. 

Id imagine adding another 15 years will bring a whole host of additional random surprises.  

My point is that if you want an ongoing project and something cool, going older is a great plan.   But if you're not a serious wrench turner with the desire to spend time working on your car, then you should go as new as possible.   

All that aside, Ken's truck could easily change my opinion...

Steve