1967 857

Carter Carburetor Adjustment

1967 857

Hi Gents!

I own a 1967 857 with an 8 HP Kohler and a Carter carburetor.

Engine runs with the choke knob pulled all the way out and when it is pushed in, the engine stops running.  

Read through several posts and then, using Red Square (a terrific resource by the way!),  I downloaded and read the Kohler Engine Owner's manual for a K181S engine (the 8 HP) but its guidance appears to reference the Walbro and not the Carter.

Looking for direction on how to best remedy the situation I describe above and properly, correctly, adjust the carburetor screws for a Carter carb.

Thank you!

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

rmaynard

Turn both adjustment screws clockwise until they just bottom out. Then open them the number of turns described in the manual. Fine tune them by turning clockwise until the engine sputters, then open counter-clockwise until the same thing happens. Then find the halfway point in-between.

• Like 2

1967 857

Thank you Bob - as there are three screws, which two are you referencing (top screw, middle screw or the bottom screw)?

rmaynard

The two flat top screws are the adjustments described above. The round head screw is for setting idle speed.

carter.JPG

• Like 3

Jerry77

If that doesn't help, you might have moisture in your fuel ( only runs with choke on )  gas line antifreeze or even rubbing alcohol would show an improvement if that is the case..:twocents-02cents:

1967 857

Excellent, thank you gentlemen!  Will attempt and first opportunity (tomorrow) and update this post!

953 nut

:WRS:   The symptoms you are describing indicate a shortage of fuel or an excessive amount of air in-leakage. Have you confirmed that you are getting an adequate fuel supply to the carb.? Also, if there is too much play at the throttle shaft you can be getting too much air coming in around it.

This is the best carburetor reference I have found, hope it helps.

Carburator adjustments.docx

Wheel-N-It

Your fuel tank bowl / valve could be stopped up and not flowing fuel as it should.

Edited by Wheel-N-It

1967 857

Thanks guys - better, but still cuts out after I push the choke knob all the way in; will remove and clean the bowl next and update this thread thereafter.  To be continued.........

• Like 2