therealwormey

312-8 overcharging, no regulator?

therealwormey

Tag  model 2112K802

86 model. Can't find rectifier/regulator.

Does this year not use one. Keeping this short. My first post failed. Spent a lot of time with details. If this goes through I will give it another try

pfrederi

Short answer is there may not be a regulator.  WH went cheap a few years and got Kohlers 3 amp unregulated charging system.  Easy way to tell do your headlights work whenthe engine isn't running (ignition switch in run).  if they do there is a regulator somewhere...if they do not then you probably have the unregulated 3 amp system.

• Like 1

therealwormey

No lights with no running engine. (Ignition on run). Lights with engine running.Thanks. That makes me feel a little less stupid. I'm getting 16 volts charging. I checked stator. No continuity but I get continuity from one wire and grounding one probe to the case/block. How could it charge in that condition. When that happens on a Harley you get no charge.???? 

At least I can quit wasting time lookin for that regulator. My old 74 has  rectifier. Thats how i know kinda a lil bout this as i had to replace it before. I can't believe WH went without just to make me chase ghost. Much appreciate the reply.  

So if I need a new stator it's gonna be a 3 amp not 15. Probably expensive and harder to find. Sounds like my luck. Glad this ain't my main mower. 

oldredrider

There's nothing wrong with your stator. The 3 amp system uses a diode in one of the stator wires; that's why you won't get continuity. 

• Like 3

pfrederi

Diagnostics for the unregulated system.  You can download the manual from here in the manual section.

STATOR.JPG

STATOR2.JPG

• Like 2

therealwormey
4 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

There's nothing wrong with your stator. The 3 amp system uses a diode in one of the stator wires; that's why you won't get continuity. 

Thanks. I had been reading about the diodes but being uneducated on this system I figured that it was on the switch side of the harness. I didn't realize it was close proximity of the stator vs in the dash. I found an old post on here on 3amp system overcharging. I see now my thinking was wrongheaded. This all started when I put a new battery in this year when my 96 was down with starter problems. Mowed 1 time. Mower set 2 weeks and was dead when I went to move. It had 5volts. After getting it charged back and running I noticed this 16 volts. I think it's never charged that much before. So now I'm aggrivated not so much it's overcharging but the fact I can't figure out why.  All help is much appreciated as I was lost with the diode thing. But the diode wouldn't cause overcharging would it. I thought it was like a check valve to only let current flow one way. Glad you brought this up otherwise the continuity had me scratchin my head

therealwormey
36 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Diagnostics for the unregulated system.  You can download the manual from here in the manual section.

STATOR.JPG

STATOR2.JPG

Thanks. I was confused earlier because I found one I thought was 86 but it showed a regulator. I really appreciate the help guys. I can usually figure these things out but this one has me stumped. 3 amp is kicking my butt

pfrederi

Interesting they do not show any thing to do about "overcharging".  (Tecumseh used  fixed charging system years ago but you could pull one diode if it was too much charge whne you ran the engine for a long time.

I have  a 310-8 with the 3 am system.  i am going to fire her up and see what the voltage is

pfrederi

Interesting test..Battery was @ 12.5 volts  Started her up and jumped to 14.5, but then slowly kept increasing.  After about 15 minutes of running sort of settled at 15.70 volts.

therealwormey
10 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Interesting they do not show any thing to do about "overcharging".  (Tecumseh used  fixed charging system years ago but you could pull one diode if it was too much charge whne you ran the engine for a long time.

I have  a 310-8 with the 3 am system.  i am going to fire her up and see what the voltage is

Please let me know. This mower was bought new by my grandfather. He died in 99 and my grandmother used it till 2008 when I started mowing for her I bout a Toro zero turn to save time. I've had it since 2010 but don't use it much. It's always been garage kept and never been left out in the rain or painted. Looks great for a 30 yr mower and still cranks like new.  I never really looked at the voltage because it never went dead to make me think it was bad. It don't go straight to 16 volts when started. Creeps to 14 then keep s creeping and stops at 16. My multimeter shows 16.5 but my guage and old schumacher tester shows 16 analog.

therealwormey
10 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Interesting test..Battery was @ 12.5 volts  Started her up and jumped to 14.5, but then slowly kept increasing.  After about 15 minutes of running sort of settled at 15.70 volts.

Well maybe I am overreacting but I thought 16 would fry the battery.  No sweat on 14 but 16 made me wonder. 13.5 to 14 seems normal. I could mow I guess and let It set a couple weeks. See if it dies. I checked for parasitic draw but wasn't showing any. Guess I'll quit worrying over it for now. Deal with it more when I return from the Beach. 

Again many thanks, this had me stumped. Still does but at least I feel smarter now

cleat

A lot of GM charge systems run at 15 volts so I would not panic over 16 especially if it only has 3 amps behind it.

therealwormey

My buddy brought up the fact his GM runs high. I know this is true but I've never owned a wheelhorse that runs that volts. It's a 30 year old mower so I couldn't imagine why it would need 16 volts. 

Tuneup

We can only guess - I'll volunteer that, since that current is going through the battery only now and again, when you mow your lawn for an hour less than weekly, perhaps a higher charge rate improves the battery without your running it long enough to actually start boiling the electrolyte? After all, it's not the family Ford that runs daily. Any Wheel Horse designers on the list? :D