briankd

C series hood fitment

briankd

this hood don't seem to line up on the strg tower right . the notches ( picture ) on the tower seem wallered out anyone tried to fix them ? I have access to aluminum welder may try to weld it up and die grind it out ? anyone have a picture what they are suppose to look like?  also on crossbar latch on hood my old 857 has another set of rollers on it this don't. this c series that the way it is ?

20160928_190940.jpg

20160928_191152 (1).jpg

20160928_191001.jpg

oldredrider

That looks pretty far off. Check your hood stand at the base. It may be cracked.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Here are a couple pics that may help.  Most of mine are worn pretty bad also. 

BTW, your rod should have a spring washer retainer on both sides of the hood lever to keep it centered.

C-120   has rollers at the top that pinches the hood to the stand.   Also has some misalignment.

IMG_6501.JPGIMG_6502.JPGIMG_6503.JPG

The 875 has also has rollers on the rod.  Not sure what they do except keep the lever centered.

IMG_6505.JPGIMG_6506.JPG

The raider 12  has single rollers.

IMG_6507.JPGIMG_6509.JPG

The Commando 8 has the double rollers.IMG_6512.JPG

So, it looks like the short frames had rollers on the rod that don't appear to do anything but help to keep the lever centered,  and they were eliminated on the later long frames.

I don't think the shape of the notch is critical as it appears they are only there to provide clearance for the rod.  The small rollers that slide under the hood pull the hood down to the stand are what locks the hood.

IMG_6511.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

briankd
23 hours ago, oldredrider said:

That looks pretty far off. Check your hood stand at the base. It may be cracked.

looked at it real close no cracks .looked at the front and the hood looks square to the axle. the hinge rod has more wear on one side than the other.it has been hit on the right front but overall the hood looks square with the machine. thought about slotting the holes where the hood bolts to hinge for some adjustment

10 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

BTW, your rod should have a spring washer retainer on both sides of the hood lever to keep it centered.

po did something with the latch rod has different nut on one side and it is worn a grove in it where it goes thru hood. yes I only have one spring washer on one side not both.im just kind of  anal about things like this that don't fit or look right  :lol:   Thanks for the pictures    Brian

10 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

IMG_6503.JPG

this is exactly the same as mine is as it not even across

briankd

just spent the afternoon cleaning up tractor but still have the deck to do yet here some pics. the first one is what I used to clean the crusty nasty tires worked real well after my pressure washer pump tied up and now is junk my wife told me to use it and sure enuff it worked well.

20161002_182003.jpg

20161002_182133.jpg

20161002_182031.jpg

20161002_182055.jpg

20161002_182108.jpg

20161002_183009.jpg

Edited by briankd

Ed Kennell

The pic of the magic tire cleaner won't open.   Don't keep us in suspense....:wwp:

• Like 1

Howie

I personally believe the shape of the notch plays a part  in how tight the rod and rollers pull the hood down.Mine was worn

quite a bit, bought another one and one side was not worn much. Had my original one welded up, made a pattern of the 

good notch cams used it to shape the welded area. Holds the hood nice and tight. Would never hold it tight before even

with a piece of rubber glued on top.

briankd

ED here is the first picture with the magic tire cleaner

20161002_182003.jpg

Edited by briankd
  • Like 1