Dnorth

Wheelhorse 10 model 10360 Transmission

Dnorth

I am new to this group, I have a Wheelhorse 10 8 speed. trying to fix hi/low gear and replace gaskets. Got it about inch apart but cannot get it to come apart the rest of the way. Any tips?

IMG_2338.JPG

ACman

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:@stevasaurus I'll let you handle this one . I think that you need to remove the hub , and brake drum . Though I haven't had any of these apart myself :huh: .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 3

stevasaurus

That is correct...take off the hub and brake drum and then lift off the left side (brake drum side).  Here is the manual...you need Section III.  :)  Place the right side of the transmission down.  We also have some threads showing how to do this in the Reference Section under Transmissions.

492-4004.pdf (application/pdf Object)

I am not sure where you got that 10360 number from.  Your transmission looks like a 10 pinion Limited Slip #5060.  Even though your transmission has 8 speeds (6 forward and 2 reverse)...that particular transmission is called a 6 Speed.  Check out this thread.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 3

bmsgaffer

Also, click the video link in @stevasaurus's signature too. He has done some very thorough videos that are well worth the look-see.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

roadapples

:text-yeahthat:            :WRS:

Dnorth

Thank you all so much for the information and help, sorry it took so long, work has been keeping me very busy and have not had a minute to thank ya'll. In the mean time it has been soaking in penetrating oil with pressure. I am trying to get the hub and brake drum to break free. It could be awhile before I get back on due to work but will let you know what happens.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

I corrected the link above to show the manual transmissions.  :)

stevasaurus

@Dnorth  I got your PM...going to answer here so this will help others and/or others may have another option.  For the brake drum...1st, measure the diameter of the drum and the shaft size, I have an extra brake drum if the shaft and diameter are the same size.  Take a real good look at that shaft...did you take of the "C" clip that holds it on.  A 2' bar behind the drum and a puller like this...should work.

2011_1019JAKESTRANNYS0007.thumb.JPG.89d7e771154c9ed1c7b725bc36ec696b.JPG

As far as the hub...take your other hub and make a puller like this out of it...it will take a hub off...

2011_1019JAKESTRANNYS0009.thumb.JPG.5d7275403729620d310da4c848b8c6b8.JPG

That is a 1" bolt with 1" washers and nut for the center.  The other bolts are 5/16 with nuts and washers so as not to mess up the threads in the hub.  :)

• Like 3

Dnorth

Thanks, I did take the C clamp off of the brake drum and I'm getting it to budge a little so with a little more work I might can get it off. as for the axle hub, I'll try using the other hub like you did. maybe it will do the trick. This is what I have been using so far to no avail.

IMG_0078.thumb.JPG.05a6595a24dc31703d9f1f1e0c148609.JPG

pfrederi

two arm pullers can break the hub.  Also you will notice on the older hubs with the web design for each bolt hole it is not possible to get both arms of the puller on a thick part.  Steve's idea of using another hub is best

• Like 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Be real careful with that puller you WILL break the hub. Sorry there is no easy way other than what Steve showed. Do not hammer on it, there is a retaining ring on the inside of the differential that hold s the axle in,  you will break off.  Most of us have a few hubs laying around with shot keyways. Might be a member willing to send you one for shipping cost.

Edited by WHX9
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Right...thanks Paul and Jim.  Do not use that puller on that hub...it will break it.  I bought my hardware from TSC, they sell their bolts, etc. by the pound.  That puller should work on the brake drum though.  Close that case up a little to get some room for the arms to catch.  Take a wire wheel, file or Emory cloth to clean up the part of the shaft that does stick out.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  You could use a little heat on the brake drum and then melt some candle wax on it.  The wax gets drawn in and works like penetrating oil.  :)

On my hub puller, you can tighten up the 1" bolt and then tighten up the 5/16" bolts a little at a time (working your way around).  You may have to loosen everything and readjust as it comes off.  :occasion-xmas:

My picture of that hub puller...I was using that on a 3 hole hub.  Make sure you buy the 5 bolts and use all 5 when doing the puller thingy.  It will work.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 3

Dnorth

:wacko: Okay,,,,,well update on the axle hub,,,,, went to town got all the bolts I needed, the hub moved about 1/4 inch, and well this is what we have now.

IMG_0086[1].JPG

looks like I will be shopping for a new hub,,, the way I'm feeling right now, maybe a second one also, the really frustrated side of me is telling me to cut, grind or torch the stuck one off and just buy two more but I'm trying to fight those thoughts back right now LOL.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I'm sorry...that was the good hub that broke?  I'm looking at the bent bolt at the top of the picture.  OMG.  Yep, a 4" grinder will cut the hub that is stuck on the axle.

Here is a shot of a hub that I ended up cutting to get off...and I still had to use a puller all the way.  Sending you a PM.

2011_1019JAKESTRANNYS0003.thumb.JPG.746e9dd670d241d6b00b467008828aa7.JPG

Dnorth

:happy-jumpeveryone:Well, good news, I have gotten the brake drum off but the hub is stuck there until I can get back to work on it some more.

• Like 2

Dnorth

Well, I have finally been able to get the hub off, and transmission apart but still have to check in the differential gear for any damage. Found new hubs online, got those in the mail the other day, now all i need are new seals for where the axle goes through the side of the transmission. Any suggestions on where to find part numbers for those?

IMG_2739.JPG

pfrederi

Look at the post pinned at the top of this forum

gwest_ca

Was the model number of this transmission ever determined?

The 1-0360 tractor has a model 5086 transmission listed at Toro but the location of the brake drum is different.

Garry

Dnorth

I think we determined it was the 5060, 

stevasaurus

Garry is correct.  We never did verify the axle size.  Here is the deal.  If those axles are 1" diameter, then you have a 5086 transmission and your axle seals are SKF 9815.  If those axles are 1 1/8" diameter, then you have a 5060 transmission and your seals are SKF 11050.  Both are available from Motion Industries, NAPA, etc.

The 5086 transmission differential is a 4 pinion differential.  The 5060 transmission differential is a 10 pinion LS differential.  :)

Dnorth

What fluid do y'all use to put back in transmission? I been looking in manual but either it's not in their or I'm missing it.

pfrederi

90 weight gear oil..  I use Walmarts

• Like 1

Dnorth
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

90 weight gear oil..  I use Walmarts

Thanks