T-Mo

The Most Hours

T-Mo

I know some of the older Wheel Horses probably has tons and tons of hours on them, but without an hour meter, it's hard to tell how many they have.  But, just for discussion sakes, how many hours do you have on your Wheel Horse, if it has an hour meter.  My '88 416-8 that I picked up in June has over 3600 hours, and I'm sure the engine and transaxle is original to the tractor.  I should go and take a picture of the actual hours on it to document it, but it reads over 3600 hours.  It still runs and drives good, but does smoke some on startup.

Sorry if this topic has been brought up before as I did do a search, but couldn't find a specific topic on it.  I did find threads asking how many hours on this model, this engine, etc., but no specific thread on actual hours of owner's machines, except for this one:

• Like 5

bmsgaffer

I would love to know how many hours are on my 854, that I am FAIRLY sure has original engine un-rebuilt (though it needs it now). The triple pully had nearly a 1/8" deep belt groove on both outside "slots" as it had been flipped once it was worn too bad. 

I assume your 416 is a Kohler? That's a LOT of hours!

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

My 854, hours wise, who knows, the great unknown. Now my 1988 416-8 has about 670 hours on it, bought from the original owner. So I guess with proper care I have plenty hours to go. Good topic.

Glenn

• Like 1

wrightorchid

What was the first horse to get an hour meter?

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

i sure with i knew how many was on my dads 502. its been through 4 engines that we know of 1 front axle and a trans lol

• Like 2

wallfish

My 418 has over 2500 on the meter but the key was left on a couple of times until it completely killed the battery so that racked up quite a bit of them.

• Like 2

T-Mo
1 hour ago, bmsgaffer said:

I would love to know how many hours are on my 854, that I am FAIRLY sure has original engine un-rebuilt (though it needs it now). The triple pully had nearly a 1/8" deep belt groove on both outside "slots" as it had been flipped once it was worn too bad. 

I assume your 416 is a Kohler? That's a LOT of hours!

16 hp Kohler Magnum M16.  A Magnum is about as close to a K-Series without being a K-series as you can come, since it's the direct replacement for the K-series.

1 hour ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

My 854, hours wise, who knows, the great unknown. Now my 1988 416-8 has about 670 hours on it, bought from the original owner. So I guess with proper care I have plenty hours to go. Good topic.

Glenn

Since my '88 416-8 has over 3600 hours, yours with 670 hours is basically brand new.:D

• Like 3

elliot ness

I had a 520H with 2100hrs, and it still run good. My C-195 has 1250hrs. I would bet that some of the 60's models would have 4000+ hrs or maybe more.:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

My 312 has 1906 hours. No noticeable smoke but does consume some oil between changes.

muz123

My 1983 C-175 has 1503 hours and needs a coil which i ordered but other than that its fine. 

slammer302

417-8 has almost 1500hrs does smoke sum on start up.

Wheel-N-It
12 hours ago, wallfish said:

My 418 has over 2500 on the meter but the key was left on a couple of times until it completely killed the battery so that racked up quite a bit of them.

John, I did not know you have a 418. Its good to know the M18 engine will go that many hours if it is taken care of.

My 418-8 has the most hours of the herd at just a hair over 1200.

I think its a bit odd that the Magnum powered 312 and 416 have hour meters, yet the Magnum powered 414 does not. Can anyone comment on that observation?

slammer302

I think it depends on what year they were made the 90's models seem to have hrs meters I had a 314-8 & 314-h both had meters. Never had a 414 though.

Wheel-N-It

My 414 does not have an hour meter ( like the 310-8 ) and several other 414's I've seen up close do not have them either. Come to think of it my 414 does not have tail lights, but it does have rear reflectors. 

Maybe that was Wheel Horse's way to help lower the cost of a 400 series tractor by offering one with 14hp, no tailights, and no hour meter. 

T-Mo

So far, my 416-8 has the most documented hours on it.  As mentioned, some of the earlier tractors without an hour meter might approach way more hours than mine.  I hope more chime in with their numbers.

wallfish
10 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

John, I did not know you have a 418.

418-C is my designated snow blower machine. 2 stage blower with a glass window cab.

A 418-C is the commercial version. It's a dumbed down 418-A without all the frills but faster.

• Like 1

clueless

Picked up a 312-8 a few years ago, 575hr on it, original owner said lights didn't work. This was my first one with hour gauge, got it home and got the lights working. Couple of weeks later I decided to see how well it cut grass, damn, left the key on battery died. While I was charging the battery, notice the hour gauge 220 more hours on a tractor that hadn't moved. My point, unless you are the original owner you don't really know hour many hours are on the engine, no matter what the gauge reads.   

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It
9 hours ago, wallfish said:

418-C is my designated snow blower machine. 2 stage blower with a glass window cab.

A 418-C is the commercial version. It's a dumbed down 418-A without all the frills but faster.

John, please please please post some pics of your 418 ! Or just text them to me. Either way I'll be happy :D

Pollack Pete

My 312-8 that has lawn mowing duty has 3516 hrs.Barely a slight puff of blue smoke on start-up.Runs like new.

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

SAM_0361s.JPG

My '88 416-8 M16 as of a couple of years ago. 1865 hours now and still runs great.

• Like 2

Al C.

My 1067 has the original K241 10hp with about 1400 hours on it (dad bought it new in 1967).  Starts fast on first crank, no smoke, plenty of power - nothing slows it down.  Took the head off for the first time this summer.  Cleaned out some carbon.  Otherwise, metal and clearances look like new. 

IMG_6112.JPG

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

I bought a 520-H with a bit over 2900 on it and it still runs. 

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I bought a 520-H with a bit over 2900 on it and it still runs. 

Brian, does that 520 have any visible smoke?  Starting, stopping or under load?

DougC

I bought my '95 520H as a demo with 25 hours on it in '97 from my Toro :wh: Dealer and now has just turned 1,100 hours. No oil consumption or smoke. I mowed and pushed snow with it.

I bought my '88 520H last October with 1,343  hours on it in an attempt to keep the hours from racking up so fast on the '95. It just turned 1,400 hours. I did lot's of repairs over the last year to get it work ready. I will be mowing with it and this winter mount the single stage snow thrower and make a snow drift remover out of it. It uses some oil and will puff a little smoke when starting a warm engine. P.O did not keep it serviced and just used it to till his garden in the spring. It came with the tiller mounted and operational. A 48" deck and short chute snow thrower.

WNYPCRepair
3 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Brian, does that 520 have any visible smoke?  Starting, stopping or under load?

I bought it as a parts tractor, so it hasn't driven much. I didn't notice it smoking, but I wasn't really looking hard either.