jellyghost

Toro wheel horse questions

DennisThornton
7 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I will agree to certain point I grew up on (basically learned to drive on) an "original" CUB CADET 7hp Kohler and for many years it was the "seasonal" rig gardening/mowing/wood gatherer/snow plow ect then came a 1200 CC 12hp, then we got a 14 draw bar hp 1952 Allis Chalmers C that would pull both CC's and all my 520s together around backwards, this is where weight and gearing make all the difference (such as the PK), with that said though with the vacuum/GO gauge on the 520s I can tell when I'm only using 5-10-15 or all 20 hp between dry or wet heavy grass or a light snow vs the big one this past January where I was basically pulling 75-100% most of time spinning that 2stage through 2 feet + of heavy snow, I'm not saying a 1 lung Kohler wouldn't have gotten it done but IMHO that second lung and extra power made it easier, and my 22hp Kioti will out pull/push/cut my WHs but I don't think it could out do the old AC, so again power is realative to weight and gearing and how it's all put to the ground a lot of older semi-trucks weren't much over 2-250 hp but look how much they could/can tug vs a new 300+ hp 1/2 ton P/U truck...but hey I'm just an ole hillbilly,Jeff.

Very well said!  And since you seem to agree with me, I might say very intelligently phrased as well!  B) 

How big is the engine vs how much will it do is different!  Very different!  And it seems very confusing to consumers.  Maybe a way to express that is to hook a 1000 HP dragster back to back to a 250HP road tractor and see what happens.  I'm guessing many would bet on the wrong horse power!  Hmmm.  Maybe a new TV show?  Maybe it would catch the attention of some 24HP  42" deck Craftsman riding lawnmower owners?

And to further a point, blowing heavy wet snow does require HP!  That is one task where for sure, more is much more better!  Light snow, not so much, but all you can get will help with blowing slush!

As I said, very well said!

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Thank you Dennis, and yes "most" people have no clue that brand new 24+ hp vertical shaft 1/4 acre lawn mower doesn't have half the actual power that 55yr old 7-8 hp CUB does, plus HP= how fast the engine does it's job  TQ=how much work the engine can actually accomplish, or that dragster TQ gets it off the starting lineup but HP is what gets it down the track fast (if it doesn't overpower the tires) all the HP doesn't do anything unless you can put to the ground and IMHO WH (and a lot of the other older machines) does that very well vs the new lawnmowers,Jeff.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Thank you Dennis, and yes "most" people have no clue that brand new 24+ hp vertical shaft 1/4 acre lawn mower doesn't have half the actual power that 55yr old 7-8 hp CUB does, plus HP= how fast the engine does it's job  TQ=how much work the engine can actually accomplish, or that dragster TQ gets it off the starting lineup but HP is what gets it down the track fast (if it doesn't overpower the tires) all the HP doesn't do anything unless you can put to the ground and IMHO WH (and a lot of the other older machines) does that very well vs the new lawnmowers,Jeff.

I really wish there was some simple way to explain that to the masses!  It would really shake up things in the garden tractor world!

You know!  Some folks could really benefit from listening to you!  :text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

I reckon that auto tech class I took in high school must've took hold a bit, plus my other hobby of hot rods/muscle cars, it would be like putting the 406 SBC I built for my Malibu in the 520 to mow with...:auto-layrubber:

IMAG0633.jpg

• Like 2

DennisThornton
50 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I reckon that auto tech class I took in high school must've took hold a bit, plus my other hobby of hot rods/muscle cars, it would be like putting the 406 SBC I built for my Malibu in the 520 to mow with...:auto-layrubber:

IMAG0633.jpg

In a previous life I bought a beefed up Chev 350 350HP to put in a 65 Chevelle and then I got married before the engine/vehicle union... Sold the 350.  The only union was me and my bride...  Bride and I parted 15 years later...Maybe I should have married the 350...  Lord that brings back memories!  

But honestly, today?  I'd rather have a 520-8!  Or HC or most any other WH!  What the heck do I need a 350HP v8 for?!?  But that picture does bring back some memories!  Thanks for that Jeff!

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
7 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

In a previous life I bought a beefed up Chev 350 350HP to put in a 65 Chevelle and then I got married before the engine/vehicle union... Sold the 350.  The only union was me and my bride...  Bride and I parted 15 years later...Maybe I should have married the 350...  Lord that brings back memories!  

But honestly, today?  I'd rather have a 520-8!  Or HC or most any other WH!  What the heck do I need a 350HP v8 for?!?  But that picture does bring back some memories!  Thanks for that Jeff!

Yeah my ex thought she was gonna get my Malibu but 15 yrs later I still have it and the WHs (3 520s and the Dxi plus a Kioti and inheriting 3 Cubs),Jeff. 

IMAG0849.jpg

IMAG0850.jpg

• Like 2

jellyghost

This has become my favorite thread on the forum.  

It was been thread jacked a few times, and it became much better than the op.

• Like 1