WHX??

1257 Find

WHX??

Wheel weights are some kind of patina yellow?? Thinkin there was a snow plow on it at some time? A look around sellers property turned up nothing tho. OH and tires ....choice originals with the WH on them and not cracked or checked AT ALL! :woohoo: Not a speck of rust in the gas tank either!! :greetings-clappingyellow:

Deck is in way better shape than the one on my 1067 & spindles real quiet.

Edited by WHX8
  • Like 5

ACman

OH , Jim that one right up my alley ! Barn fresh original specimen :handgestures-thumbupright: !!! Please tell me it's going to be a buff in shine or my favorite leave it like it is , dirty and pertty :) ! Awsome score @WHX8 .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1

WHX??

Clean up, tune up and leave as is!! My new plow tractor when @PeacemakerJack, @stevasaurus & @achto show me how it's done proper!

Jack you wanna tell them about the show 1077 that got away this weekend or should I?? :hide:

@Bttatro you may wanna come get this horse before I get attached!

Edited by WHX8
  • Like 1

WHX??

Thanks Jeff ... BTW glad to see you are officially patched into the 520 club... I suppose you wanna know the secret handshake now?!?!? :ychain:

• Like 1

Achto

That girl looks awesome! Put some ags on the back & she'll be great plow tractor. Will need a Brinly hitch or a plow with a slot hitch on it.

Great score!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

like Jeff says, barn fresh specimin, ya gotta luv it. best of luck.

Glenn

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Those sure do have a great look to them.  Nice find Jim.  :)

• Like 2

TIGman

WOW!!!! I like !!!! 

Just now, TIGman said:

:handgestures-thumbupright:. Great find

Edited by TIGman
  • Like 2

Bttatro

I'm still working on the Mrs., but wow is that a nice looking horse!  I'm loving the dash and deck!  What are the chrome looking things on the front sides of the hood?   How is the oil leak?

WHX8 I'm thrilled! 

• Like 2

WHX??

I believe those are old brackets for lights that might have been on it once. Don't know about the oil leak until I after her bath.

• Like 1

Shynon

Nice one Jim, that looks like it was worth the extra effort. Should clean up nice:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

DougC

The great finds always require a certain amount of.......... Like backing up that far with an enclosed trailer in the dark in unfamiliar territory. Gets the adrenalin  flowing and the heart pounding.... Not to mention the blood pressure rising!!!!!

Congratulations on a great barn fine barn find :wh:    :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, WHX8 said:

tell me if that switch on the dash is factory.

Not a stock switch, my 1267 came with lights built in to the hood and had a rocker switch in the dash.

:text-coolphotos:     that is a nice find!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2

WHX??

Agreed Dick ...my 1067 is that way as well. I guess in '67 the six-speeds were considered deluxe and came with head lights. Thought maybe the 1257 & 857 had optional bug eyes???

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Looks like you did really good on a nice machine.

• Like 1

kudzu3

How 'bout some "cleaned up" pictures. ;)

• Like 1

WHX??

Cleaned up nice @kudzu3.... Pics & more tomorrow 

I really did Jack @Wishin4a416 I'm not gonna say what I paid but let's just say is was a deal not to pass on! 

Yes @DougCthank you. ........and my copilot Cindy was in a different truck and not there to direct!!

Edited by WHX8
  • Like 1

Retired Wrencher

WHX8  These are great tractors. I have had 2 of them both of these have tons of power  K-Kohler power. And they  idle so well so you can put around with  them all day if need be. Start easy. I found one like that all original and it is my favorite. It has a big tractor feel. Clean it and enjoy it.

• Like 1

WHX??

After tinkering with it last nite Wrencher I would have to agree 100%. Yeah we're talkin old school K-Kohler power!! This girl is quickly becoming my fav as well!

Gave here a good bath last nite......ran out of gas in the pressure washer.... twice! Cleaned up nicer than a baby's bottom tho.  Resolved the throttle issue (cable bound up and out of adjustment) and reset the mixture screws and got it idling smooth as silk. The 301 is such a different animal than it's little brother the same year 10 hp it's unbelievable. Makes me wonder if my 1067 is running right???  Oil change tonite as what's in there is black as tar. There's a piece of masking tape on the hood that says oil change 2008! Who knows if that's true. Guy has to wonder how many hours are on this motor. Trans oil change next.

20160926_184933.jpg

20160926_184955.jpg

20160926_185011.jpg

20160926_185019.jpg

20160926_185106.jpg

Sorry for the lousy pics guys, it was getting dark by the time I got her back in the shed and on a charger.

Question tho guys the key switch will not spring return to from start to on so one has to remember to manually do it if one remembers. Is this real detrimental to the start/gen if one forgets? There are a few wiring issues, just some clean up work mostly and check the regulator for proper operation. Will be doing that after new proper battery and cables.

FYI I did find a nice guide in the manuals for checking & adjusting these regs.

This one has a Delco but if I'm not mistaken the 1067 has a Bosch?

• Like 4

Retired Wrencher

Jim. Much better. THANKS for the picks. It looks like a 1257 now. As for the cables Look for Motion Pro Cable Luber. There are many brands. There about $10.00 I use mine on all cables it makes them work real smooth. It puts power pressure into the inner cable. As for the oil buy some cheap oil and run it for a little while low/mid throttle for about 15' drop it fill again drive it for the same. I use Lucas oil stabilizer about 40% or more if it smokes. This really helps these old engines. You can try a battery maintainer.  I get mine at wallyworld /Walmart for about $20.00. It has a hook up where you put the wires on the battery this makes it easy to hook the charger, because the Start/Gen usually do not charge the battery.  I hope this puts you on the right path and you enjoy this fine old tractor. I really like the sound they make when they start up, Cha Chunk. Not bad for 49 years old. Try Buffing it out with some compound/ wax. It will bring out more color. Have a cold one when they turn 50.Let me know if you any questions.

Edited by T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER.
  • Like 3

WHX??
3 hours ago, T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER. said:

As for the oil buy some cheap oil and run it for a little while low/mid throttle for about 15' drop it fill again drive it for the same

Agreed Gary...maybe even a couple of times with the cheap oil.  Got new oil in it last nite, old oil barely flowed out the drain pipe. . Starts hard now so I think a carb cleaning, fuel line & filter is in order,  New battery cables & battery are on order too, post terminals are jury rigged bad. Hopefully I can get it all done before my plow day. @achto is going to fab me a hitch so maybe it will be far enough along I can borrow Jack's Brinley for a whirl. Might not do much with out ags but the missus would kill me if I sprung for those now!

• Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, WHX8 said:

Might not do much with out ags but the missus would kill me if I sprung for those now!

Do you have a tractor with ags on that you could swap wheels with for the day? Or a set of chains would also help in a pinch.

Edited by achto
  • Like 1

WHX??

Nope no ags for me Dan ...yet...other than the little guys on the RJ.... heck I wouldn't be afraid to try it with these tires & weights, might just surprise us in this sandy stuff?!?!?

• Like 1

TIGman

1257 is looking good after that bath, Real Good !!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

That is a Wheel Horse to be proud of for sure. :)

• Like 2