Mike'sHorseBarn

Kohler M14S Fuel Pump Issues

Mike'sHorseBarn

My uncle called me last night and had an interesting problem with his 314 Hydro. His original fuel pump went bad and he went and bought and aftermarket that didn't work from the start so he got another one that worked for about 2 hours then quit. He tore it apart and (bear with me I've never tore one apart) there is some kind of white plastic piece inside the pump that is warping and not allowing the pump to actually pump. So after this one he got a genuine kohler pump and had the same issue, but not as serious. He says if you blow in the tank and prime the pump it will work, but you can't just hop on the tractor and try to start it. I'm not sure what would be causing it, but it told him I know where to go to try and find answers! Should I try and find him a used one or is there something else that could resolve the issue?

BESTDOGEVER

That's unusual because the pump is quite simple basically a diaphragm pump worked by the lever I have used the aftermarket ones since kohler went crazy and started charging so much for them and have had no problems, personally I think that they are all the same other than the packaging so it could be a whole bunch of defective out in the supply chain. Maybe some genius decided to change the design because I have had them apart and I don't remember any white plastic piece 

• Like 2

953 nut

It sounds like he is talking about the check valves, I have never taken a plastic pump apart, but they may be using plastic check valves too. A picture could be help-full. I have a used plastic pump in the shop, Ill take a look at it in the morning.

• Like 2

Jerry77

Changed over to electric pump 1.5 to 2.5 psi, and I am sooooo glad that I did.....:)

• Like 3

BESTDOGEVER

Yup as the prices for the mechanical ones keep going up that is going to be the first choice for a lot more  people 

• Like 1

953 nut
On 9/26/2016 at 3:53 PM, 953 nut said:

I have never taken a plastic pump apart, but they may be using plastic check valves too. A picture could be help-full. I have a used plastic pump in the shop, Ill take a look at it in the morning.

Well I opened up the plastic pump as well as a couple of others. The plastic pump is on the right and has metal valves similar to the center pump which came off a 1267. The pump on the left has the primer lever (1965 and earlier) and the valves are quite different. Diaphragms on all three were the same.

kohler fuel pumps 003.JPG

• Like 5

wallfish

The one on the left is the easy type to fix. Remove the springs and discs, clean them and the pump body, install the discs flipped over from original position.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

I hope I am not pirating your  thread Mike, but my 312H has been slow starting since I got it a year ago.

I never had this problem with the older tractors with the fuel tanks located under the hood. 

But the two tractors I had with the tank under the seat, a 314H that I sold and the 312H that I still have were both slow starting after sitting.

I suspected the fuel pump was allowing the fuel to leak back to the tank thru the leaking check valves.  

Well, the 312 refused to start this morning after sitting for 4-5 days.  

I checked the fuel .....I had 3/8 on the gage and the fuel was down about 3" from full.

Pulled the line off at the carb ....barely got a dribble when I cranked it.

Pulled the line into the pump ....No fuel..the pump was running in air.

I filled the tank 3/4 full ....this was high enough to prime the pump and it spurted fine when I cranked it.

Connected the fuel lines and it fired right up.

I did take the carb off and clean it...but really didn't find any thing. 

So, My conclusion is, If you have a good pump that has perfect no leak check valves, you should not have a problem.

But if the pump is allowing the fuel to leak back into the tank over time, It may not be able to reprime itself if the fuel level in the tank is below the elevation of the fuel pump.

A simple solution is to fill the tank before you put the tractor away. 

• Like 4

Mike'sHorseBarn

This is why I bring my questions to red square! You guys are great! I am going to experiment with the fuel levels and I am going to try another pump of a different brand.

• Like 1

chalupaalien

Could a priming bulb or manual pump be placed inline to fix this beofre starting?  My 314-8 is having this issue too.

BESTDOGEVER

If you are having problems with the fuel leaking back to the tank a shut off  in the line between the tank and filter would keep enough gas there to keep it primed 

Edited by BESTDOGEVER
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, chalupaalien said:

Could a priming bulb or manual pump be placed inline to fix this beofre starting?  My 314-8 is having this issue too.

That is one solution that some members have used successfully.

33 minutes ago, BESTDOGEVER said:

If you are having problems with the fuel leaking back to the tank a shut off  in the line between the tank and filter would keep enough gas there to keep it primed 

A shut off valve is another

Finding and installing a leak tight pump would work.

Electric fuel pump that is mounted below the minimum fuel level in the tank would work.

Keeping the tank full above 1/2 full so the fuel level is above the pump works....my solution on my 312.

• Like 3

Wheel-N-It
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 10:08 AM, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

My uncle called me last night and had an interesting problem with his 314 Hydro. His original fuel pump went bad and he went and bought and aftermarket that didn't work from the start so he got another one that worked for about 2 hours then quit. He tore it apart and (bear with me I've never tore one apart) there is some kind of white plastic piece inside the pump that is warping and not allowing the pump to actually pump. So after this one he got a genuine kohler pump and had the same issue, but not as serious. He says if you blow in the tank and prime the pump it will work, but you can't just hop on the tractor and try to start it. I'm not sure what would be causing it, but it told him I know where to go to try and find answers! Should I try and find him a used one or is there something else that could resolve the issue?

Mike, I had a crazy thing happen to me one time and you may want to verify your situation. I bought a C-125 once from a small engine repair shop that way back in the mid 80's and earlier was a Wheel Horse Dealership. Somehow they had got the tractor and mowing deck, it would not run, they installed a new fuel pump and got it running to sell but did nothing more. I brought it home and it was hard to start after it had sat for a few days. I had to blow into the tank to get fuel up into the pump and carb then it would start and run but not as good as it should have. It was like it was not getting enough fuel. I adjusted the carb ( I like adjusting carbs ) I replaced the fuel line and filter, I removed the fuel tank and washed it out and nothing changed. I took the carb off and cleaned it out, still nothing changed. So I thought heck, I've suspected everything but this new fuel pump, maybe its defective. So I removed the fuel pump and the shop had installed the wrong one. The one they put on had some kind of long radius bend pumping arm to it much unlike the fuel pumps for Kohler K's and Magnums. So next day I went to NAPA and bought the correct pump. Problem solved. I kept the tractor for a while, sold it to a friend who used it for a couple of years, he traded it and some cash back to me for a nice 314 Hydro I had. Then I gave the C-125 to a kid I know who wanted a Wheel Horse really bad. He's been driving the heck out of it for over a year and the engine still runs great.

So my point in all this is something crazy may have happened to your Uncle and he is in a similar situation with the wrong kind of pump. Lets hope its something that crazy simple :)

• Like 1