GlenPettit

"Big Changes Ahead"

clueless

On 11/27/2016 at 1:02 AM, r356c said:

Do you trust this man? Do you like this man? Can you share some of his vision?

I sincerely hope so. He is holding more responsibility and power than I can imagine.

His companies products most likely touch your life everyday without you noticing.

Embedded processors are everywhere.

Fortunately, Masayoshi Son seems to be a good steward of our digital future.

If nothing else, it is interesting to hear the thoughts of someone with a net worth of 17.6 billion USD.

In high school I did a book report (do they do those anymore) on Brave New World, I thought It was interesting but far fetched, now 47 years later maybe not so much. The question I have for you sir, does the r356c stand for what I think it does :auto-swerve:?  

r356c

"does the r356c stand for what I think it does?"

Good eye Chris.

I had -many- rotted out air cooled VWs back in the day. They kept a set of wheels under my arse for many years.

A Karmann Ghia, more bugs than I can recall, a bus and a '64 wagon that had some pleasing curvy lines.

Even a VW three wheeler with a Harley Wide Glide set of forks. It had an aluminum pony keg as a gas tank. :)

The bodies would rot out in an afternoon, but the mechanicals were easy to work on and available.

I snagged my '64 356C coupe 30 years ago. I like its lines almost as much as my Wheel Horse tractors.

• Like 2

tunahead72
7 hours ago, r356c said:

I snagged my '64 356C coupe 30 years ago. I like its lines almost as much as my Wheel Horse tractors.

Probably handles better, too.

It's funny, but I don't see any photos here.  Or anywhere... we don't want to hijack this thread. :wwp:

Edited by tunahead72

r356c

I'll put the B-80 in front. The Azaleas think it is spring already!

History on wheels.

RedandBlack.jpg

• Like 4

clueless
9 hours ago, r356c said:

I'll put the B-80 in front. The Azaleas think it is spring already!

History on wheels.

RedandBlack.jpg

I know I'm old, but that is the hottest picture I've seen in a long time. That ones going on the wall in the shop.:text-bravo:

clueless

What year is the 356?

r356c

1964. It still looks good for a 53 year old.

Messerschmitt Bf 109's and Grumman F6F Hellcat's in their veins. An odd pair to say the least.

Back to the future, or more accurately, my robot obsession... :lol:

Six foot five, around 100lb weight and able to lift 100lb.

It can jump 4 feet off the ground and cruise at 9 mph.

Boston Dynamics smacks another one out of the park.

I'll guess about 400 watts power draw cruising at 5 mph on level terrain.

Existing batteries should have it at 6 hours or so of patrol endurance already!

Edit:

Adding a 'What are you listing to?" pairing with this video.

Not that this robot needs more cowbell, but more cowbell never hurts.

Edited by r356c

r356c

Lions and tigers and bears! Oh my!

Cheap real time high resolution satellite imagery and AI and drones. Oh my!

"We achieve reliable with flight with accurate tracking (< 2cm mean position error) by implementing the majority of computation onboard, including sensor fusion, control, and some trajectory planning."

Today in a tightly controlled lab environment, tomorrow...

wait_what.jpg.338d64846df119cb2e70333ffe54f1d6.jpg

Bach-Ed

I think a near miss in the article.  Self driving cars are going to happen, but think of what will happen when self driving trucks get going.  I think they are under most person's radar (no Pun).  Large numbers of truck drivers will not be needed.  First to happen will be long haul.  My semi leaves Chicago, travels the interstate to San Diego.  It might need to make fuel stops but no others.  No lunch or potty breaks.  No limits to hours of service (humans can only drive so many hours in 24).  It must be easier to program a vehicle that basically runs just the limited access highways.  It hits San Diego, drops a trailer.  Picks up a new one and goes back to Chicago.  In a continuous loop.  No salary, no vacations, no Social Security, no unemployment, no call in from a sick driver, less accidents, improved fuel consumption.  Unless we are total idiots, the large trucking companies should be busy with this plan.  Yes, local drivers, that also deliver will be safe ... for a while.

r356c

I have always liked small robot swarms. They just look cool.

Intel (the chip manufacturer) ran a few 200+ quadcopter light shows at Disney here fairly recently. There was some talk about them replacing the fireworks shows.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/technology-innovation/videos/drone-shooting-star-video.html

In my humble opinion, over the road trucking will be breathtaking in the speed of uptake to autonomous driving.

If the trucking company next to you is saving 25% of costs by eliminating drivers, you have two choices.

1) Go out of business because the other guy just took all of your customers.

2) Automate your fleet.

The total lack of outcry when a Tesla 'passenger' stuffed himself under a semi here in Florida because the camera system on the Tesla car thought the white tractor trailer in front of it was a cloud is a firm tell. Autonomous driving is going to happen, warts and all.

Edited by r356c

r356c

There is more and more background talk lately about robots and AI displacing massive amounts of workers in the near future.

The nuts and bolts of how those predictions will come to be are usually never mentioned.

As impressive as the robots from Boston Dynamics are, they are not much more advanced in the area of decision making than the welding robots I was installing in cages on factory floors 30 years ago. Awesome mechanicals and agility, not so smart yet to be turned loose in the wild.

There are three main providers of commercial AI at the moment.

IBM

Amazon

Microsoft

The new breed of computer programs are taught by example rather than hand coded.

I had not paid much attention to Microsofts 'Azure' cloud computing and AI offerings before.

They may have come up with a usable solution for training on their 'big iron' and allowing the 'AI smarts' for that application to run on cheap single chip computers.

The cheap computers are apparently called 'edge computing' these days as a reference to 'edge of the cloud'.

An impressive 10 minute demo of 'available today' Microsoft AI in action.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2017/KEY01#time=27m00s

r356c

Commercial AI is picking up speed.

IBM's Deep Blue won its first chess game against a world champion on 10 February 1996, when it defeated Garry Kasparov.
IBM's Watson wins Jeopardy in 2011.
Google's DeepMind AlphaGo program wins at the complex board game Go in 2015.
OpenAI's program wins all one on one matches of a tactical and strategy computer game, Dota 2 in 2017.

The OpenAI group had the AI program teach itself from scratch. No expert human knowledge was used as a jumping off point.
It only took 2 weeks of self-training for the OpenAI program to go from having zero knowledge of the game to crushing the worlds best human players.
Granted, AI programs have a home field advantage when playing computer games.  

I found 18m30s to 28m00s of this video interesting as a state of the art time marker for civilian AI systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK5SxX3Ujs0

r356c

Is that meowing I am starting to hear somewhere in my intestines?

The other big gun in the retail space, Amazon, has been hosting a 'pick the items out of the bin' robotics competition for a couple of years now...

IBM is already hooked up with Walmart for supplying  blockchain technology for tracking food shipments.

Blockchain can answer the question of "where did those mango's come from, and how long have they been in transit" from days to seconds for the big retailers.

Edited by r356c

r356c

Is it wrong to want a few of these to take care of the damn rabbits in my garden?

At the right price point they would save me a ton of time setting up poultry fence.

As usual, Boston Dynamics is, well, words escape me on this one...

• Haha 1

Aldon

Yuck

• Haha 2

r356c

I get the feeling that AI is more like water seeping in under the door than bursting in with a grand entrance.

A quick rundown of a few of the AI and machine learning enabled things used today that I can think of:

Some of the earliest commercial ones were face finders in digital cameras. Who remembers using a digital camera instead of your phone?

Siri, OK Google, Alexa, Cortana... Human speech recognition devices are all AI.

The Google Android phone real time language translation app is an AI powerhouse.

IBM Watson and H&R Block tax preparation.

Photo sorting based on the -content- of the photo from a Google search. An AI program is sifting through all of the billions of photos that Google has on file and surfaces only the ones that have the content you requested. Image classification is already above human levels of performance.

Self driving cars use AI programs to make decisions. There is no way traditional programming with computer vision could handle something as complex as driving.

Now to the point of this rambling post.

The previous examples all react to human commands more or less. Humans are decidedly at the top of the food chain with the above.

Facebook just fielded two services that put AI decisions above humans.

Both are 'good' by any measure. Detecting and responding to posts made by suicidal Facebook users and detecting terrorist Facebook postings.

As far as I know, they are the first two large scale examples of AI programs actively guiding / intervening  in human affairs.

I am sure they will not be the last. :popcorn:

Edit, Add:

Jeez fleas Louise, we need to start manufacturing our own stuff again...

Edited by r356c

r356c

Nothing gets manufactured without drafting tools.

I'm old enough to remember walking through engineering departments filled with rows of drafting tables.
Tips of the day included putting a clothes pin on your nose to keep from dripping on a drawing if you had a cold.

Autodesk has been producing great computer drafting software since the early eighties.
AutoCAD has always been far out of reach for anyone but professional users in price.

Enter Autodesk Fusion 360. World class product development software, from concept design to CNC machining.
Amazingly, it is free for students, individuals and companies making less than 100K a year in revenue.

The learning curve is steeper than a drafting table.
No drafting table I ever saw could do stress analysis and generate G-code for CNC machining at the end of the design cycle.

prosthetic.jpg

3d_analysis.jpg

steam_engine.jpg

• Like 1

classicdmax

Interesting read, scary!

however I do not feel bad for the insurance companies!!!

r356c

RIP Elaine Herzberg.

The first pedestrian to be killed by a self-driving car. An Uber brand AI controlled self-driving car in Arizona.

Law and precedent will be made from this accident.

All of the self-driving car companies knew this day was coming and there are many unanswered questions on exactly where the responsibility for a pedestrians death lies.

In other Big Changes Ahead news,

China is not at the top of the list for individual freedoms, so it should not be a surprise that AI is being used to clamp down on the populace.

There is no AI without big data and China has big data to spare.  China's Baidu is sort of like Google, Facebook and Amazon rolled into one. Big data for AI on steroids.

AMC RULES
26 minutes ago, r356c said:

Law and precedent will be made from this accident.

All of the self-driving car companies knew this day was coming and there are many unanswered questions on exactly where the responsibility for a pedestrians death lies.

The Tempe Police Department reports the Volvo XC90 SUV was in autonomous mode when the crash occurred, though the car had a human safety driver behind the wheel to monitor the technology and retake control in the case of an emergency or imminent crash.

:rolleyes: I dunno...maybe this guy?  :confusion-shrug:

Wouldn't he usually be the one charged in the typical accident with fatalities.

r356c

Jury of one's peers in a never-been-seen-before self-driving car as defendant case? I dunno either. :confusion-shrug:

r356c

Posted along with our thoughts and prayers for Glen's continued recovery.

Orlando has teamed up with Amazon for real time facial recognition and tracking on public streets. I knew this was in place in China. This is the first for the US as far as I know.

Most likely coming to a city near you as well guys.

Edit Add:

To be fair, Microsoft, IBM and Google would all be more than happy to sell to you, me,  any business or municipality the same exact capabilities for a very reasonable fee.

Edited by r356c