scotty

Wheel horse axle play

scotty

How much play is acceptable in a transmission? I just put the transmission in my tractor and i noticed when i put the hubs on that is moves in and out around half an inch id guess. I would hate to tear it apart again.

Edited by scotty

rmaynard

The axle can move in and out about 1/8". It should not move 1/2". Also, there should be no up and down movement. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Jack the wheels off the ground.  If you can pull the axle out, then the clip fell off and you have to open it back up.  If you can not pull the axle out...you are OK.   This is 1/2"   l.....l  :)

• Like 3

scotty

Can i shim it so i dont have any play or very little? The snap ring did fall off.

rmaynard

I believe that if the snap ring came off, the axle will eventually slide out.

• Like 1

scotty

Yeah i pulled a little harder on it and it ended up on the floor. i must not have seated it right

pfrederi
23 minutes ago, scotty said:

Yeah i pulled a little harder on it and it ended up on the floor. i must not have seated it right

Take a close look at the snap ring groove on the axle.  Is it nice and straight on each side.  also the snap rings are heavy duty ones (extra thick) one side is a bit curved the other really flat.  make sure the rally flat faces out..  If the groove on the shaft is bad keep in mind WH also use roll pins to secure the axles in the past.  Drill the axle at the groove site and pin it

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You have to open it back up...that snap ring is spring steel and will wreak havoc with the spider gears.  Have the shallow side of the transmission down.  Take off the deep side and pull out the differential.  You do not have to take apart the rest of the trans.  Open the differential and find you spring.  Like Paul said...the sharp side of the ring points out or toward the center of the differential.  If you think the groove is ruined drill a 1/4" hole in the end of the axle and put in a 1/4" roll pin.  The roll pin should be 1 1/2" long if you have a 1" axle.  :)

• Like 2

scotty

I tore into it today. Groove was fine i must not have seated the ring correctly. Lesson learned thats for sure. Everything is working good now hopefully will test drive it for the first since i fixed it. Thanks for the help guys.

• Like 1

scotty

Looks like it didnt work I put everything together now it isnt moving! Any ideas?

pfrederi

is the shaft for the input pulley turning (no missing sheared key?)

Any action in any gear??  Can you roll it

scotty

I just put the key in the input shaft. No action in any gears. It rolls around as if it was in neutral.

pfrederi

Are the pinions in correctly (alternating up and down)

pnion.JPG

stevasaurus

Scotty...I think it is time we knew what transmission we are talking about.  What tractor and model is this in??  :)  I sure hope you are testing this trans before putting it back together again.  A couple of pictures would really help.

scotty

This transmission is out of a 1974 b-80 its a 4 speed. Heres a picture from inside the transmission. Dont mind that part on the axle the bearing i put in fell apart.

14459716_1167000063356469_170156481_n.jpg

14483969_1167001366689672_689054934_n.jpg

14469366_1167001390023003_1775868664_n.jpg

Edited by scotty
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Your differential is upside down...take it out and put the other end in first.  :)  Everything else looks good.  do you have another gasket??  It is a 4 speed with 1" axles and a 4 pinion differential.  Thanks for the pictures...makes things a ton easier. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

scotty

Alright i dont have another gasket. Can i use some gasket sealer?

Elkskin's mower junkyard
4 hours ago, scotty said:

Alright i dont have another gasket. Can i use some gasket sealer?

if i was you i would track down a gasket. i have had bad luck with gasket maker

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Order a $6 gasket from TORO...WH#3912...unless you are starting to like taking this trans apart.  :)

• Like 1

scotty

That did not help either. I put it into gear and it doesnt do anything. I can feel it clicking so i know it going into gear.

stevasaurus

Scotty, can you take some more pictures.  It all looks OK from before, but I can't see a few gears in the pictures you have.  Have a look at this thread with the videos...it is the same trans you have.  It could be those pictures you have there, the the height of those shafts don't look right either...it could be just the pictures.

scotty

I found the issue. i must have forgot to put the woodruff key back into the shaft of the inside of the tranny. Easy fix.

Edited by scotty