HokieAg07

60" Deck Spindles

HokieAg07

Looking to rebuild my 520's 60" deck spindles over the off season. Not too much on this topic that I can find. 

Anyone ever rebuild their 60" deck spindles? If so, care to share bearing part numbers and any other useful info?

DennisThornton

There's info to be found by searching but if I might add a request, perhaps info to rebuild most all deck spindles could be somewhat consolidated here in this thread?

HokieAg07

Bringing this back to the top, time to tear into this thing soon!

HokieAg07

Now that the start of mowing season has come and gone, I figured it would be a good idea to at least rebuild the one spindle that is growling. 

Punched the old bearings out easily, they are certainly in need of replacement. 

Should I have any cause for concern regarding the shaft? 

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

lynnmor

The spindles look OK to me.  The bearings can have a very small amount of clearance on the shaft.  If you do think that there is too much play, clean the darkened area with very fine sandpaper and use a small amount of Loctite 609 there when you assemble.

HokieAg07

Just for reference, I was able to pull the spindle shafts up and out of the topside of the spindles with ease. 

HokieAg07

New bearings certainly quieted the deck down. 

New problem, I put a new PTO belt on as part of this maintenance and the belt is flipping on the deck drive pulley every now and then. Am I correct to assume that this is due to it being a new belt and the fact that I need to check tension more often as I mow with this fresh belt? Using a Napa (Gates) A100 which I have used sucessfully in the past. 

lynnmor

The 60" deck uses a mule drive that is spring loaded.  As long as there is spring tension it should work.  I have found that belts other that genuine Wheel Horse often give problems, and that includes cheap and expensive brands.

HokieAg07

Mule drive is correct, I have owned this tractor for five years now, I believe. I have always used these Gates belts. I took the deck off for spring maintenance and replaced both the spindle belt and drive belt on the deck as part of the maintenance. So in addition to the deck drive belt being replaced, the actual deck and mule were both off the tractor. I suppose something could be out of alignment now, but things look good. 

Is it likely that I just need to stay on top of belt tension during break in? This was the first mow with this belt and it is an acre of turf. 

lynnmor

Double check that you have the belt routed properly.  Do you have the decal showing the proper belt twist?

With a new belt, adjust the tension so that the spring is stretched quit a bit, it will relax some as it wears in.  I have never had to readjust.  If all the spindles and pulleys turn freely, my bet is still the belt.  With suppliers looking for reduced costs, the belts may be  made in a another country and have lower quality.  Once a belt flips, it can be malformed and never work correctly again.

In an effort to save money, I have used Vbelts4less with mixed results.  One of their new belts flipped immediately, some lost the outer layer and others worked quite well.

HokieAg07

Well, it it time to insert my foot in my mouth. I looked at the belt I took off, and what do you know, it was a Toro belt. I must have put that on a few years ago. I obviously forgot previous problems with generic belts in this specific application. Lesson learned....again. 

Old belt back on and working fine.