TravelinJavelin

i have interest in the 64 to 65 1054 models

TravelinJavelin

looking for personal reviews of this tractor ? anyone ever try a FEL......or other type mods? just would love to have one to push snow with...........how do the tranny hold up ........wished i'd picked up one of these than the bolens I've got also belt availability? any info would be great!

Edited by TravelinJavelin

JUSS10

Amazing machines but I'm probably partial. I use my a few times a week. I've used it to pull loaded down utility trailers, pushed snow with it for years, pull a 10" garden plow to turn over soil for a garden, pulled out shrubs, all sorts of things. I've been told the transmissions are prone to breaking but I've beat the tar out of mine and still haven't broke it. I am mowing with mine now instead of my 314-A because I just like the tractor better. 

I don't have a loader on it, but do have a bucket and started to collect parts to build a loader for it. Maybe one of these days. I would think you would want to upgrade the front spindles and use different wheels. I did this on mine already. 

I also built a CAT0 3 point hitch for mine that bolts right to the rear axle. I put a draw bar on to move trailers around. Works great. 

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

We have a couple more than four and love them!    

The 953 was so much in demand when first made by Wheel Horse that the 1054 was made for several years after.  The 48 inch mower deck was the first 48 inch deck and was very heavy and well made.   The snowplow was a 54 inch on this tractor.  The Hein-Werner hydraulic pump gave you good rear and center rock shaft lift capability.   The 10 HP Kohlers were the heavy industrial version which is why so many of these still have there original motors.

If you use a tractor to work -this has a tremendous amount of power and flexibility.

gallery_339_37_648906.jpg

278.JPG

743.JPG

744.JPG

med_gallery_339_343_87398.jpg

100_0414.JPG

100_0415.JPG

100_0484.JPG

gallery_339_37_606252.jpg

gallery_339_37_21901.jpg

gallery_339_37_1304624.jpg

gallery_339_343_1973.jpg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 9

elliot ness

Sweet mother of beautiful Wheel Horses. Your collection is awesome.:text-bravo:

• Like 4

TravelinJavelin

just plain awesome! dam I want one!

• Like 2

TIGman
2 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

We have a couple more than four and love them!    

The 953 was so much in demand when first made by Wheel Horse that the 1054 was made for several years after.  The 48 inch mower deck was the first 48 inch deck and was very heavy and well made.   The snowplow was a 54 inch on this tractor.  The Hein-Werner hydraulic pump gave you good rear and center rock shaft lift capability.   The 10 HP Kohlers were the heavy industrial version which is why so many of these still have there original motors.

If you use a tractor to work -this has a tremendous amount of power and flexibility.

gallery_339_37_648906.jpg

278.JPG

743.JPG

744.JPG

med_gallery_339_343_87398.jpg

100_0414.JPG

100_0415.JPG

100_0484.JPG

gallery_339_37_606252.jpg

gallery_339_37_21901.jpg

gallery_339_37_1304624.jpg

gallery_339_343_1973.jpg

:text-yeahthat: Everything that Lane said I agree!!:handgestures-thumbupright:

Great tractor to have around. ;)

IMG_20160725_210002.jpg

• Like 5

953 nut
6 hours ago, JUSS10 said:

I also built a CAT0 3 point hitch for mine that bolts right to the rear axle. I put a draw bar on to move trailers around. Works great.

:wwp:    Have you ever posted a build thread on the three point?    :bow-blue:

• Like 1

JUSS10
15 hours ago, 953 nut said:

There should be a build thread somewhere.... I'll have to do some looking. I honestly haven't been on the forum for over a year I bet. 

• Like 2

JUSS10
15 hours ago, 953 nut said:

There should be a build thread somewhere.... I'll have to do some looking. I honestly haven't been on the forum for over a year I bet. 

Edit: here it is 

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

953 Nut I saw the Wheel Horse you have pictured on your yellow trailer at the Big Show near Gettysburg this year.  I did not get to meet you as I recall but I was in the Red Square tent a couple times during the show.

Mike Biser built a 953/1054 transmission for me with the eight bolt differential as opposed to the original 4 bolt.   The stronger transmission is going to go in a near perfect  1054 that I bought several years ago for $150.  I have been putting off redoing until I have time and some reserve of new or  barely used parts.    Oil seals, wheel caps, bearings, rebuilt hydraulic pumps , etc.    I should be able to get to this next Spring!

The one in the left corner in this pic.   I do have an original grill metal sheet and I have a chiche of the black and white or red and black seats.  

742.JPG

• Like 5

WHX??

Careful Richard .... I think @Wheel-N-It is eyeballing that tractor for stuff to trade for bike parts with @wallfish....prolly eyeballin that bike muffler on the custom too! :ychain:

• Like 5

WHX??

Question for ya @Lane Ranger, what's with the groovy lookin hubs on the rear of the 1054?......looks like oil filters painted silver??

Cut the heads off some bolts & silicone em on there & everybody will think yer running a floating axle!!  

• Like 2

Rob.A.700

They are a great machine push snow with little effort. The have their quirks but what 50 year old machine doesn't... I love mine

01282016795.jpg

• Like 4

953 nut
7 hours ago, JUSS10 said:

Edit: here it is 

That is a fantastic build thread. Even if a person isn't planning to build a 3 point; it is worth reading just to see how well planned and exacted this build is.    :thanks:

4 hours ago, WHX8 said:

Careful Richard .... I think @Wheel-N-It is eyeballing that tractor for stuff to trade for bike parts with @wallfish....prolly eyeballin that bike muffler on the custom too! :ychain:

Actually Van and James brought it back to NC for me and he stored the 953 while I was recuperating from spinal surgery.

4 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

Mike Biser built a 953/1054 transmission for me with the eight bolt differential as opposed to the original 4 bolt.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you and so many others; First time there and so little time with so much to see. Was there a post done on the differential change out? I was wondering if the bull gear on the 953/1054 is larger than the smaller 12" tire units (like the GT-14 vs. Sundstrands on Electro etc.) If there is info out there on this swap I know some folks that would like to see it.

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It
4 hours ago, WHX8 said:

You guys have got me eyeballing all the old tractors now LOL. For years I was a 300/400 series only guy. I had a couple of Blackhood's and that was cool but was stuck on the 300/400 tractors. Then I got to know some of you guys personally, and your love of old Wheel Horse's started rubbing off on me. So I bought a 701, then had to have a C series so I picked up a C121 at the Big Show this year, all the while thinking there must be something about those 953's because Richard likes them and he's a pretty smart guy so yes that's on the list too now. 

Oh yeah you guys got me liking stacks now too. So I'm wanting to put a stack on the little 701 if I can find something quiet. I have a couple of extra Electra Glide mufflers but I'm afraid one of those will make the 701 top heavy and will tip it over when I make a hard left ! :scared-notify:

Edited by Wheel-N-It
  • Like 3

Indiana_Steve

Found my 953 in a garage not used for 20+ years.....

DSC04198.JPG

DSC04199.JPG

• Like 9

Lane Ranger

WHX8:   Those groovy silver caps on the rear tires of one of our 1054's  are plastic PVC end caps that my brother bought and they will actually ride between the four bolts on the rear hubs.    They  looked pretty cool and we kept them on.  Not sure of the size but at least four inches.

743.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2

k2wilson

Here's my early production 953 before I tore it down for restoration.

July 2014 005.jpg

• Like 8