T-Mo

701 Progress

T-Mo

I picked this 701 up from Steve (wh500special) a couple of weeks ago.  I got it running the next day, but today I got it running off the tractor's fuel tank.  It has a 8 hp K181 on it now, and it still needs the S/G mounted, and I had to have a bracket made that bolts to the back two head bolts.  Right now it just has the cap head bolts, and it needs studs in these two locations to mount the bracket.  Muffler is just sitting in the exhaust outlet, which is not threaded but has two threaded holes.  So I have to find a gasket and the correct muffler that will mount in those two holes, or make a manifold that will pick up those two holes and then mount a better muffler on that.

I'm not sure if I'll keep the 701 and I have my eyes set on a local 753.

IMG_0288 (1).jpg

IMG_0292 (1).jpg

• Like 9

Wheel-N-It

Lookin' good T-Mo!  Do keep us posted. I enjoy seeing progress being made on other 701's. I drove mine around a little today.

• Like 2

Wildside

The 753 was cutting grass 2 days ago so took her in for a good cleaning and oil change today. She sounded Great putting out of the Garage.

• Like 3

elliot ness

Looking good T-MO.

T-Mo
5 hours ago, Wildside said:

The 753 was cutting grass 2 days ago so took her in for a good cleaning and oil change today. She sounded Great putting out of the Garage.

Jeff,

I almost went over to your place yesterday morning, but ran out of time.  I wanted to check up on you to be sure you're okay and that the C-160 is okay also.

• Like 1

T-Mo

One question I do have is on the muffler.  The muffler shown is just sitting in the hole, the hole isn't threaded.  The picture below you can see it has two threaded smaller holes diagonally opposed from each other.  It looks like it might take a pancake style muffler like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Kohler-Engine-Muffler-Part--B1SB7727/dp/B01FSYZZS4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474805575&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=kohler+k181+muffler

What other options are there and if that style muffle from Amazon will work and how efficient are those.

IMG_0288 (2).jpg

Retired Wrencher

T-Mo    Looks like a runner. Do start it by rope? I see no S/Gen hooked up? If you can make a manifold for the 2 threaded hole hook up a Nelson to it for a quite ride. Enjoy the project.

Edited by T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER.

T-Mo
11 minutes ago, T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER. said:

T-Mo    Looks like a runner. Do start it by rope? I see no S/Gen hooked up? If you can make a manifold for the 2 threaded hole hook up a Nelson to it for a quite ride. Enjoy the project.

Yes I rope start it now.  I do have the S/G and have the brackets now to mount it.

Retired Wrencher

Well you are 1/2 way there then. Good luck .

ACman

You can thread your exhaust port with a 3/4" pipe tap .  :tools-hammerdrill: Then you have many options.

Wildside

I'm a lot better, 160 still alittle Banged up. 

wallfish

May need a 1" NPT tap. Most of those mufflers are 3/4" NPT so if it's 3/4 and just fits inside, you'll need the bigger tap size. If it is a 1/2" NPT muffler, the 3/4 will work.

That cast is fairly easy to cut threads in. Tilt the engine so the exhaust port faces down and use oil on the tap. That will keep the chips from going into the port.

I see a 1" tap on epay for $20

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

So while we are on the subject of mufflers, tell me what are some good options for a nice quiet muffler for the K161 on my 701? My block is tapped with 3/4 or 1", not sure which. But changing the muffler is something I want to do before bringing the 701 to the Big Show next year.

• Like 1