JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Cleaning dirt from black plastic

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ok, who has a tip. That 520 plastic is so dam ground in dirty I don't know how to clean it.

Trust me, I tried EVERYTHING so far.

Glenn

slammer302

I like using a cleaner called LA's totally awesome then use meguairs supreme shine. Hope this helps. The LA's totally awesome great for removing grease and oil from a engine best stuff I've found and it's cheap. I buy it at the dollar general store.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Did you try alcohol [the rubbing kind, not the drinking kind] and a toothbrush?

• Like 1

Skeeters65

Simple Green works well. 

• Like 1

jdleach

Glenn, if the grime is at all oil based, such as from hands, petroleum, fried pork chops, etc., try using a bit of regular Go-Jo. A tooth brush, as already suggested, or if you want finer detail, a hog's hair paint brush (see them in paint and big box home improvement stores as chip brushes, have wood handles) can be used to work the Go-Jo in.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Depends on the type of plastic and what is on it. If it is smooth plastic, I clean it with a soap like Fantastic, Simple Green of any other spray. Then I use polishing compound. If the stains don't disappear, I spray it with VHT black vinyl dye. When I was restoring black plastic dash panels with white lettering and symbols, I would always coat them with vinyl dye before painting the white parts. Bottom line is, as long as the dirt is removed but stains remain, and you can't get them off, paint over them.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

simple green, applied with a toothbrush, a couple of times worked the best. Frankly I never knew you could grind dirt into plastic that deep. Shocked me.

This is just one piece, the WHOLE tractor is well, dirty.........

Thanks for the tips fellas, another lesson learned.

Glenn

20160925_185721.jpg

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 2