russellmc301

Rusty stealing acient gold

russellmc301

IMG_2056.JPG

so today we got all of our seven hives off we got 8 supers of honey filled to the brim about 150 pounds. IMG_2063.JPG

my dad taking the honey out of the back of rustys trailer.

this was my first time doing the dirty work of geting the honey and we got away with 1 sting a piece and don't even notice them now. 

the last load of suppers i flew in hoped off each we grabed a door closed it and got in the truck. 

today was filled with father son :wh: time. painting Jr. to stealing the acient gold:)

• Like 7

SylvanLakeWH

Yum!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

That honey, and the :wh: ...

both look sweet.  :icecream:

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

Bee question.....

I had a hive show up and begin colonizing a rear porch on a farmhouse i own. i heard some guys talking about beekeeping and wondered if they could get  my new bee colony so i did not have to kill the bees. They recommended waiting until next May or so because moving the bees now would probably kill them off over winter. Does that sound about right?

• Like 2

tunahead72

I LOVE fresh local honey!

I see you have a Jackson trailer.  I have a larger version of that same trailer, same rust and everything.  I'd love to see a photo of how you have it hooked up to your tractor, when you get a minute. :popcorn:

• Like 1

russellmc301

yep, that sounds right since they wouldn't have food over the winter to eat.

thanks for the complements, i'll tell rusty them all:)

• Like 2

JC 1965

I keep hearing about the Bee's disappearing, I sure hope someone can figure what is causing this to happen to these wonders of nature. Sounds like your Bees are doing great. Thanks for sharing. :thumbs2:

• Like 2

russellmc301

IMG_2071.JPG

theres more in the gray filter also, most honey we have got ever.IMG_2083.JPG

heres the bees cleaning the empty supers out of the honey we couldn't extract.

• Like 3

dirtnap

That's some serious honey!  The wife and I have been keeping bees for about 10 or 11 years now but only 1 or 2 hives.  We've never got more than about 50lbs at a time.

Here's what we woke up to about 8 weeks ago.  Now keep in mind that hive was full of honey and the whole thing probably weighed 200lbs.  That's a big bear to swipe a 200 lb hive 3 feet.  Fortunately we didn't lose any honey and the hive has rebounded nicely.  Unfortunately I spent 6 hours in the ER with anaphylaxis.  When I went out to pick up the hive I wasn't as covered up as well as I probably should have been and was absolutely mauled.  Probably stung 30-40 times around my mid section where my bee jacket rode up and around my ankles.  My wife had left to go to work and I was home alone.  Once the hives and rash started kicking in I figured the Benadryl wasn't going to cut it so I headed to the ER which is about 20 minutes away.  Well, I didn't make it very far before I started having trouble breathing.  I was a medic years ago (just a EMT now) so I knew I was in trouble.  Fortunately my local FD is staffed with a 2 and a Rescue.  They took me the rest of the way.  We harvested almost 50lbs a couple weeks later though! 

Next spring I'm going with an electric fence.  We had just moved into this house a few weeks prior and didn't have a bear problem at our last house so we got caught a little of guard.

1C98D216-.jpg

DD3AC8C2-.jpg

Edited by dirtnap
  • Like 2

russellmc301

thats no fun we dont have bears around here so thats a plus.

smoke is key when doing is what i have found out. it makes them so calm.

dirtnap

I typically use smoke but didn't that day and doubt it would have made much difference.