Skeeters65

Exhaust options on a Suburban

Skeeters65

Hey guys trying to decide what I want to do for an exhaust on my 400 when I get to that point. I don't want to go the standard black pipe route. Would like to go with something more streamlined and chrome. 

Any my ideas or pictures??

Thanks

ACman

Bicycle handle bars ,also check out go kart headers  . Look through the picture gallery too . :thumbs2:  

• Like 1

Achto

IMG_20160104_163448912.jpg

Old motorcycle parts can be adapted. This is a Harley Sportster muffler. The head pipe is covered with a peace of heat shield, also from a Sportster.

• Like 4

AlwaysLookin80

Put stainless on mine when I restored it. I like the way it came out. 

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Skeeters65
15 hours ago, achto said:

IMG_20160104_163448912.jpg

Old motorcycle parts can be adapted. This is a Harley Sportster muffler. The head pipe is covered with a peace of heat shield, also from a Sportster.

That's similar to what I had in mind. What is that motor?

will a go kart head pipe bolt to the head with a flange instead of threading in?

Thanks

Achto
2 hours ago, Skeeters65 said:

That's similar to what I had in mind. What is that motor

The motor is a Harbor Freight engine that I bought new then took apart & did some modifying to, internal hot rodding. I made my own head pipe, started with a go kart flange then used a piece of 90degree bent 3/4" conduit into a larger pipe to adapt to the Sporty muffler.

I bolted my muffler in place on the tractor then cut the conduit to fit from the head flange to the adapter pipe. Tack welded every thing in place then removed the head pipe so I could finish welding it together.

IMG_20160104_145924937_HDR.jpg.

If the engine you are using has bolt holes for a flange fitting you can buy or make a flange for it. A piece of 1/8" to 3/16" thick steel, a drill , hole saw and a jig saw are pretty much all you'll need for tools.

The Harbor Freight will bolt right into your tractor. You will need to remove their gas tank and use the original :wh: tank. The exhaust will need to be changed, and the top cover for the air cleaner needs to be removed. All of these alterations are to keep from having to alter the hood. I don't prefer to cut up original sheet metal. Good luck with your project, shoot us some pics when your done. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

• Like 1

Skeeters65

What size Predator motor are you using?

What kind of internal work did you do?

Thanks

Achto
56 minutes ago, Skeeters65 said:

What size Predator motor are you using?

What kind of internal work did you do?

It's the 6.5hp, 212cc engine. I installed a billet rod, high compression piston,different cam, stronger valve springs. I also filed half of the fly wheel key off so that I could advance the timing. Bigger free flow air cleaner and larger exhaust required the main jet to be drilled out with a #67 drill bit. If I would change the carburetor, get rid of the governor, and change the fly wheel I should be able to get around 11hp at 7000RPMs. If you modify a Predator you need to keep in mind that the stock fly wheel comes apart at 5000RPMs. I wanted the fun of getting some extra power, but wanted to keep it tame enough to putt around at shows so I kept the governor, no need to change the fly wheel or carb at 3600RPMs.

It is fun to pull wheelies on command,( let off the throttle then open it up again). I put wheelie bars on after I almost flipped it over backwards.

Edited by achto
  • Like 1

953 nut
On 9/24/2016 at 5:05 PM, achto said:

Harley Sportster muffler.

:twocents-02cents:       If you don't have an old Harley pipe hanging around and you want to be LOUD you can go to H.D or Lowes and pickup a Stainless Steel bathroom grab bar; cut off the mounting flange and cut it to the needed length.  

• Like 2

seven

Go to Menards and pick up a chrome piece of plumbing pipe it will have a 90  on one end and is about18 inches long? That's what I did looks cool

• Like 2

Achto
24 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

If you don't have an old Harley pipe hanging around and you want to be LOUD you can go to H.D or Lowes and pickup a Stainless Steel bathroom grab bar; cut off the mounting flange and cut it to the needed length

You would be surprised how many stock mufflers Harley shops through away. Just have to give them a baffle ectemy if you want load. The hand rail idea works great too, used one as a stack on a Cub Cadet.

One tip I want to give: When using stainless or chrome exhaust make sure you clean your pipe off before you start the engine. A finger print on a chrome pipe (especially a new one) will turn blue after you heat the pipe, and will not polish off. Same thing happens with stainless pipe.

• Like 2

Skeeters65
34 minutes ago, seven said:

Go to Menards and pick up a chrome piece of plumbing pipe it will have a 90  on one end and is about18 inches long? That's what I did looks cool

Got any pictures of this?